58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 39s
Overall Rank = 309/347
Age Group = NEWB-F
Age Group Rank = 37/52
Pre-race routine:

Bagel with cream cheese, pack the car.

Get to the Park and took a long, windy walk over the dam to the transition area. After seeing the distance to the site, decided to ditch the milk crate and some other 'yard sale' items that were back up or just in case things.

Got marked and went to set up transition area - chatted with some other newbs about placement and strategy. Realized I forgot my flips so walked around in my sneaks. Realizing I was missing a number asked around until I could claim my missing helmet sticker that ended up in someone else's race packet and then Pam'd and Body Glided up and slipped on the wetsuit.

Found Mav, RedSoxChick and FriendofHarpoon and headed to the beach with Mav to warm up.
Event warmup:

Delayed start to adjust the buoys because of high wind and chop, so ended up taking two separate swims around the last/closest buoy and back. ~100+yds? Pretty short laps. Water temp was warmer than the air at that point, so getting out kept freezing my feet, so I'd wade to warm them up. Hard to stay warmed up. Really wished I had brought my fuzzy winter boots from the car which were my original plan to keep my feet warm while waiting around. That was one of those items that seemed too silly and bulky to drag over to the start, but could have been a race changing thing with my cr@ppy circulation.
Swim
  • 05m 35s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

A lot of fast swimmers in the Newbie ladies group - I was surprised. Didn't get whacked too much, but was swimming cautiously since I feared getting beaned on the head by the kayaker who drifted into swimmers in the earlier waves and who was immediately to my right. Nearly hit the first buoy head on, aspirated a lot of water on the last 50. Made it in on the toes of Mav. Felt like I could have over taken some of the ladies ahead of me with a longer course, but glad I made it in the top 10 of the wave.
What would you do differently?:

Nutrition before swim. Realized I was feeling a little sluggish right before the start and not paying attention to how much time flew since I last ate. Take advantage of my Sherpa (could be the last time I race and he doesn't) and make him carry my boots.
Transition 1
  • 03m 56s
Comments:

Numb feet killed running out on rocks, got into transition and chatted with my neighbors while trying to shiver out of the wetsuit. Came off easier than before, but still a struggle at the bottom as I had to lean on my bike, then my neighbors to the right to keep from falling. Pam helped, but not as much as on my run through since I had to keep getting back into the water to stay warm. Neighbor to my left said I was flying on the swim, but she ended up leaving T1 at before me cause I was not flying there. Hands too shaky to get bike gloves on so ditched em. Freaked out for a moment cause I couldn't find my socks! I forgot that I stuffed them in my sneaks.

Actually get my transition run-thru in that I said I would do. Socks in bike shoes. Try gels since the gummy packages were too hard to open and pull pieces out of. Original plan of having my snowboarding socks if I felt like I needed them, which I DEFINITELY DID. Another item I shouldn't have second guessed myself about being over-prepared.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 56s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Feet were TOTALLY FROZEN for the entire ride. They were so much like useless blocks of ice that I couldn't clip in on my second foot for the first several minutes because I couldn't feel anything. I don't think I was comfortable with how my feet were feeling on the bike until close to mile 8 -- it was terribly annoying and the lack of feeling made it near to impossible to stand on hills as I had no balance on them.

Another hard part for me were the sharp turns - I was tentative and lost a lot of speed on the first couple, then just when I was getting the hang of it, I got stuck behind Yellow Shirt. She was worse than me-- slamming on the brakes and swinging wide... I had to nearly stop twice to avoid slamming into her or swinging into traffic, she was such a road block. Also a super pain to pass as she was erratic-- not biking straight and not keeping a constant speed. Never did get past her cause I suck on the uphill, but I also didn't mind keeping my distance from her.

Had a few nice exchanges with some other bikers - what a nice crowd! And as I passed the Boston Marathon start, I thought to myself, "At least I'm not so crazy as to try to run a marathon... yet!" and smiled.

Had a hard time drinking on the bike, first because I haven't done it enough on this bike and second because I was trying to keep my balance in the wind.

Avg pace looks like it sucks, but really is not that bad when I check out other seasoned biker times in comparison. Hit every single gear on the course.

More hill work, work on sharp turns, practicing drinking on the bike. Warmer socks!
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Being in the Newbie area was slightly annoying in that there was crap everywhere. My sneaks were buried under someone else's tupperware box lid, I racked my back wheel over someone else's jacket that was stuck in the groove on the other side and made it hard to shove it in there. I wasn't super organized, but I didn't feel like I was in anyone else's space. Feet still frustratingly frozen. Tried warming them with my hands a bit. No dice. Uncoordinated and had a hard time swapping into running shirt. Made sure all my stuff was in my area before I left. Took some Honey Stingers and a little water and went.

Gels. Trying to chew and start running uphill proved difficult. Leave sticky notes with passive aggressive messages for the offending neighbors. Heh, just kidding.
Run
  • 33m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Run sucked. This is arguably the worst 5k run I have ever done. My legs were jello pops after the ride. Frozen at first, then no integrity once they warmed up. My feet were still totally numb until close to mile 2 and was terribly frustrating that I couldn't do anything about it. Running on the grass seemed to sap a lot more energy, I got a mouthful of sand running along the first beach to the right and lost my hat twice. The second time I lost my hat I turned to try to catch it off my head and felt a weird extreme pinching in my knee. Didn't hurt later, but had a brief silent scream to myself and moved on. Pretty much hated the run altogether. My legs were totally non-responsive. Decided to take the opportunity to enjoy the scenery and thank all the super energetic volunteers along the way.

Ditch the hat so I don't have to go chasing it. Get new feet... alternately get foot warmers or something. Those warms socks again were a great idea before I second guessed myself. Stop to stretch at water or stretch during transition.
Post race
Warm down:

Guzzle the drink given out by Max Performance at the end to make room in the water bottle for post-race beverage brought by FriendofHarpoon and RedSoxChick. Stretched a bit while listening to awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold feet. Literally. Should've listened to my gut about my 'extra items' that would have helped keep me warmer. I still believe that I would have been happier about my performance if the swim were the full distance. I know I would have put a little more time between me and the rest of the field on the swim since I was feeling like I was barely getting into my stroke on the return, and I know that it takes me a while to get blood flow back to my feet with my sh!tty circulation and more time in the cold water would have helped me do that.

Little training on hills.

Event comments:

Good, pretty and challenging course. Well organized event.

I know some folks were upset about the delay, but I think Max did the best they could. They made the attempt to keep the swim course the same and if they hadn't folks would probably complain that they jumped the gun on cutting the swim short - they decided based on their previous experience to take the chance to try to fix it and unfortunately, that didn't work out. C'est la vie. Once the delay was announced it would have been best to focus on staying warm rather than milling about on the beach the whole time, but that's what racers chose to do - me included.

I wish I did better than I had all around, especially on the run, but now that all the first-timer anxiety is gone, I can not second-guess myself in my preparation, not be so scattered in transition, and train on my weak areas. I was really glad to have this one as my first - a beautiful day, really nice folks racing, organizing, volunteering and spectating along the challenging and very pretty course that had certainly greened-up a bit since I last trained there. Overall, a pretty awesome day that I was psyched to share with some other BTers.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:35 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 6/52
Overall: 131/347
Performance: Good
Dunno how long the swim was actually. 250yds?
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Course changed from 1/4mi-3 buoy rectangular swim to a 2-buoy triangle swim. Don't know what the distance ended up, but it seemed to nearly halve the distance.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:56
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:05:56 | 15 miles | 13.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/52
Overall: 300/347
Performance: Good
Other folks in my row said their devices told them the bike was 15.4-15.6mi.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: HILLY!! This was the hilliest course I've seen for any race - running race included. Brutal. So glad I got to preview most of it a few weeks ago.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:24 | 03.1 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/52
Overall: 316/347
Performance: Bad
Course: Pretty course through the park, across the other beach, over the dam and back to the finish. Running on the grass was a challenge - I rarely do this and the uneven surface was something I wasn't prepared for - as was the high winds against you for about half the course, including at the beach which meant big gusts of sand.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 10:04 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Subject: New England Season Opener

2009-05-11 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2143069

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener

Congratulations on finishing your first tri!  An OWS as a first...Awesome!  You did terrific out there!

2009-05-11 5:32 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great job yesterday!

You looked strong and out there having fun. Long delay before the start was weird as it seem to take them forever to get it done and decide what to do.

2009-05-11 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2144394

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
KathyG - 2009-05-11 6:32 PM Great job yesterday!

You looked strong and out there having fun. Long delay before the start was weird as it seem to take them forever to get it done and decide what to do.

Thanks!  It WAS fun.  Some vague disappointment about parts of my performance (a.k.a. my WALK), but overall I thought it went pretty well.

I got the thank-you-email from them today that said, Great job persevering through the wind "...and a 2-hr late EMS arrival..."  Yikes!  I didn't know anything about that part.  Guess they didn't want to worry anyone about the potential of not being able to do the race if they didn't show.
2009-05-11 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2144382

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
QueenZipp - 2009-05-11 6:22 PM

Congratulations on finishing your first tri!  An OWS as a first...Awesome!  You did terrific out there!

Thank you--  your inspirations got me through a lot of pre-race worry! 

The OWS was the best part for me.  Wish it were longer, but I still count myself as getting out of the water 6th of the lady newbies and in the top half overall which is awesome (especially since I feel like I've been skimping on my swim training!).  Bike could be meh, run could suck, but I'm happy I always have my swim to hold onto.
2009-05-11 9:29 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
WOW, what a tough first race! Props to you for pushing through in the wind and blowing sand with frozen feet.  Enjoyed reading your race report!

2009-05-12 6:53 AM

Uxbridge
Congrats triathlete!!!! You rocked the swim! I too was disappointed with the shortening of the swim, but completely understand the rationale given the weather and the water temp at this point in the season!
2009-05-12 7:08 AM

User image

Master
NJ

Great race! Sounds like tough conditions - way to perservere

2009-05-12 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Congratulations Mina.  What a great accomplishment, especially with all the medical issues this year.  You should be very proud. 

2009-05-12 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2145393

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Boston Beginner - 2009-05-12 9:53 AM

Congratulations Mina.  What a great accomplishment, especially with all the medical issues this year.  You should be very proud. 

Thanks!  Knees and rt ankle didn't seem to make a peep during the race which was surprising... but being that it was a truly wimpy run, I guess they didn't have much reason to.   
2009-05-13 10:44 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Nice job on your first tri!

Don't feel bad about the frozen feet, I've had the same problem before, not a whole lot you can do about it, way to push through.

2009-05-13 3:12 PM

User image

Congrats on your first tri, Mina! Way to go! Seems like it was a bit of rough day but you rocked it out. Hope to see you soon.
2009-05-13 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Mina!  Congratulations on becoming a triathlete!!!!!!!  Woo hoo!  Though you definitely had some obstacles, you toughed it out and made it!  I'm so excited for you!  You've got some awesome pics out of it, too, as well as some great experiences to take to your next one.

Congratulations again, Mina!
2009-05-14 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Way to go on finishing up your first!  Welcome to the club.   Trust me, even though you had a lot going on, you finished, AND this will be a race you will never forget.  It will be fun telling the stories about your "first" for years!   Congrats!
2009-05-14 6:12 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Congrats, Mina!   Rough way to start out the tri career.......but great job handling it!!  What's next?

LindaCool
2009-05-20 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Great race report and good job on the race. I hate that frozen foot thing, man it hurts. Bet you are looking forwart to not transitioning with the newbies at the next race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Rss Feed