General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have experience using air horn on aggressive dogs ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-13 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: Anyone have experience using air horn on aggressive dogs ?
I know there are different ways to handle aggressive dogs. I bought a small, EXTREMELY LOUD, signal horn from walmart yesterday and I'm curious what the results were for anyone who has actually used an air/signal horn, or something similar, on an agressive/attacking dog.

Not saying other methods aren't as good or better. I've used whatever was in the water bottle to the face, food, a deep "NO", outrun them, etc. etc. I haven't used the horn yet and I'd very surprised if it didn't work, or at least startle the dog a bit.

I doubt there will be many responses, as most of the horns are obviously too bulky, but the one I got is smaller than all the dog spray containers I have seen.

Just curious.

Edited by tri42 2009-05-13 11:44 AM

2009-05-13 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2148388

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Anyone have experience using air horn on aggressive dogs ?
I don't know how it would work, but I'd love to see it . . . especially if it was being blown by Cookie Monster running or riding by.
2009-05-13 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2148467

User image

Master
... maybe that has been the problem the whole time, they smell the cookies/chase the crumb trail..... a breakthrough.... .
2009-05-13 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

There's a whole bunch of things that MAY work on SOME dogs that are HALF-HEARTEDLY coming at you:  air horns, water bottle, coins in an aluminum can, even pepper spray and mace.  They'll stop some dogs if the dog isn't really serious.

But certain breeds of dogs, when they are SERIOUS about chasing you down and tearing into you - none of the above will work.  Not even pepper spray which won't stop some breeds.  To truly incapacitate a dog without killing it requires voltage.  Police use stun guns on people, but that's a single-shot hit or miss and wouldn't be best on a charging dog.  My advice if you're truly concerned or continually experience a dangerous dog is a police stun baton.  They come in collapsable models.  This is the recommendation of Animal Control which will carry them.  The key is that it gives you a 3-foot buffer between you and the dog.  It's also easy in that you don't have to swing it - just hold it out between you and the dog.  Make sure the dog touches it before it touches you.  Easy enough.  I used to have one in a holster on the jogging stroller when the kids were babies.

Does it work?  HALE YES!  Just raising it up is the first defense (the dog sees a club).  The second is to fire it and the sound is loud and distinctive.  Last resort - the slightest touch for a fraction of a second is enough to make even the largest dog go limp and hit the ground.  Hold the baton on the beast for 1 full second (don't need any more than that) and they'll be paralyzed for a good 5-10 minutes.

... And that's from personal experience with a pit bull mix.  (Didn't know if the owner was more terrified that their dog got loose and attacked or if they thought he was dead in the street.)

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy one and always run with it.  That's all dependent on the risk you experience with dogs.  My only point is that when the teeth are bared, the ears are back, the froth is flowing and he's running at top speed with death in his eyes...  nothing but voltage, blade, blunt trauma or firearm is going to stop him.

2009-05-13 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

I've used it with success back when I lived in Brownsville.   After being chased regularly by dogs, I finally bought one of those air horns and kept it in my jersey pocket.  One day while out on a rural road, I saw two dogs up ahead and they clearly had an angle on me, so I knew I couldn't outrun them.  As they approached, I slowed down and blasted the horn and they both stopped dead in their tracks with a "WTF" look on their faces, which allowed me to get by.

However, a word of caution.  On another ride, I tried to do the same thing while riding at full speed, and there was a bit of a wind that day.   The horn was useless....I pushed the button and nothing but a "pfffffft" came out. 

2009-05-13 12:37 PM

As a man who has owned dogs his entire life, I feel somewhat qualified to answer this.  It is an unfortunate fact that some dog owners are not responsible enough to protect passersby from their neighbors by fencing or leashing.  So, what to do when faced with a dog that is about to rip off your buttocks?

Dogs have two instincts with regards to 'outsiders'.   They protect the pack and they hunt.  They react to certain situations differently based on those two instincts.  If you're riding or running fast through their perceived territory, you can be certain that you will be seen as prey and a threat at the same time.

If you're on a bike and you can outrun them, that is the obvious choice.  You've just become really fast prey that they can't possible catch.  Win.

If you're on foot and can't possibly outrun them, running is a bad choice because that just makes them WANT to chase you.  Turning and making any loud noise, including air horns, knocking over garbage cans, jumping on the nearest car to set off the alarm and the like is going to make the dog skip a beat.  (In my experience, pepper spray is not going to deter a determined dog.)

If the dog gives up and shies away, you win.

If the dog hesitates and skips a beat, put as much distance and as many obstacles as you can between you and the pup.  Hopefully, you can get yourself behind a closed door.

If the little monster is immune to loud noises

2009-05-13 12:38 PM

User image

As a side benefit it also wakes up 17 year olds with minor grumpiness issues. -er- or so I've heard.
2009-05-13 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2148549

User image

Expert
Chicago

They also look like they might strap rather nicely to the top tube, just in case competition was extraordinarily tight on race day, "On your lefffff [bzzztttt] . . . . . . . arrghhhh . . ."

2009-05-13 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Would love to hear how the air horn test goes. If it works I am going to need to get one to deal with the pack of wild dogs that populate the countryside in Thailand.

Plan B would be mace; downside being a stiff gust of wind and inhaling the mace yourself.

Cheers
2009-05-13 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2148600

User image

Veteran
Ershk - 2009-05-13 1:54 PM

They also look like they might strap rather nicely to the top tube, just in case competition was extraordinarily tight on race day, "On your lefffff [bzzztttt] . . . . . . . arrghhhh . . ."

ahhahaahahahha... awesome
2009-05-13 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2148632

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

dtjunkie - 2009-05-13 2:10 PM

now remember, you hold the narrow end and then turn it on...

2009-05-13 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2148556

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

NoTrebleAtAll - 2009-05-13 1:37 PM

If you're on a bike and you can outrun them, that is the obvious choice.  You've just become really fast prey that they can't possible catch.  Win.

I'm going to have to contradict just this one line.  If the dog has the line or is within 50 yards, depending on the breed, no way can most cyclists out-ride a dog!  A lab, doberman, shepherd, etc. can get to a good 35mph in the short flat.  You would have to be going downhill or have a really good lead.  Most people can barely hit 30 on a flat sprint.  No...  Many dogs can easily keep pace on a sprint with a cyclist at top speed.

... Now actually attacking and getting teeth on something at that run - that's another story.

2009-05-13 2:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
You can get a bike mounted air horn you fill with your bike pump

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn/dp/B000ACAMJC
2009-05-13 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2148685

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
tri_d00d - 2009-05-13 2:33 PM

I kid you not.  It has happened to some idiots.  Like my sister's ex-husband.  They were up from Atlanta for a visit and took the kids out for a walk around the lake in the double stroller.  They came back and my sister came running into the house.  "Call 911!  Mark's on the ground outside!  I think he's dying!  What was that thing?!"

I ran outside and sure enough, after the walk he pulled the baton from it's holster and wondered, "what is this thing?"  He held one hand on the shielded handle by the trigger and the other hand on the baton itself.  "Hmmmm," as he depressed the trigger and down he went!  Dumb-arse!  It took him about 5 minutes to recover and get up and another hour or so before the affects fully wore off.  We didn't have to call 911.  He was more mad at me than embarrassed at himself for doing something so stupid!  Good thing he's the "ex" now.
2009-05-13 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
For the milder dogs, spraying them in the eyes with water from the water bottle can help. If you need some practice you can try this flash file:

Hit dog in eyes with water
2009-05-13 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2148800

User image

Master
Bigfuzzydoug - 2009-05-13 3:15 PM

tri_d00d - 2009-05-13 2:33 PM

I kid you not.  It has happened to some idiots.  Like my sister's ex-husband.  They were up from Atlanta for a visit and took the kids out for a walk around the lake in the double stroller.  They came back and my sister came running into the house.  "Call 911!  Mark's on the ground outside!  I think he's dying!  What was that thing?!"

I ran outside and sure enough, after the walk he pulled the baton from it's holster and wondered, "what is this thing?"  He held one hand on the shielded handle by the trigger and the other hand on the baton itself.  "Hmmmm," as he depressed the trigger and down he went!  Dumb-arse!  It took him about 5 minutes to recover and get up and another hour or so before the affects fully wore off.  We didn't have to call 911.  He was more mad at me than embarrassed at himself for doing something so stupid!  Good thing he's the "ex" now.

It takes all kinds doesn't it ?

2009-05-13 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2148838

User image

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas
NeilsWheel - 2009-05-13 2:30 PM For the milder dogs, spraying them in the eyes with water from the water bottle can help. If you need some practice you can try this flash file:

Hit dog in eyes with water

thats a fast dog...

2009-05-13 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
I have some dogs that have been hurrassing me and I am thinking about straping one of these to my bike!

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-theJudge-video.cfm

2009-05-13 9:25 PM

buy one from a boat shop

watch because some will not work up side down when discharged....
2018-03-07 8:50 AM
in reply to: Bigfuzzydoug

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
stun baton - brilliant!
Non lethal, but effective.

I know in my area I called animal control/sherrif's office and they advised me I could be charged with animal cruelty by spraying, throwing anything at or kicking the dog while on my bike which I was dumbfounded by. Anything that could cause lasting injury was fair game for a lawsuit since the country areas don't have leash laws and only covered by a sheriff and not actual police dept.
2018-03-09 12:14 AM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
There is a stun gun that is not a point and shoot. Its the one with prongs that hold a current. I have a friend that carries one (easily fits in jersey pocket) and it has worked on every dog that's chased us... and we get chased a lot. There's something about the zapping sound that dogs do not like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711TTFL4/ref=s9_acsd_zwish_hd_bw...

2018-03-09 12:19 PM
in reply to: pistuo

Had a pit bull run off a property and chase me in the street. This was on a rural run. Scared the bejesus out of me. Only pulled off after owners heard me screaming at it and came out. All I can tell you is that if I'd have had my little compact Glock 9 mm on me that could have possibly been a dead dog. I would not have felt bad at all. If you cannot control your dangerous dog I have the right to defend myself.
2021-04-23 9:10 PM
in reply to: tri42

I find it interesting! I am curious how the air horn test goes. I want to try it also

(browsing old thread for new ideas)
--------
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have experience using air horn on aggressive dogs ? Rss Feed