General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roll Call - John Tanner State Park Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2005-04-14 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta
Subject: Roll Call - John Tanner State Park Tri

I thought that since it is getting close and according to the race site .....

Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series, John Tanner State Park 

Entry Form (Race is Filled as of 4/7/2005)

....I would see who all is committed signed up.  By looking at the thread in the Group Training section I compiled the following list:

Sranney

Browe79

Tplauche

Ayeong

DJP1812

Chop

JamesReeves

Hawkeye

JTee

Atree

Whit

Grahznybratchny

If I have missed anyone, feel free to add to the list.  It is getting to the point where I am cautiously excited!  I want to hurry up and get out of that cold water w/o a wetsuit!

I am also thinking about trying to ride the course next Tuesday afternoon with a buddy who will be in town.  Unfortunately, it will be a very fluid schedule that comes together probably late Monday.  If anyone else is interested, just let me know and I will pass on the details.

2005-04-14 1:15 PM
in reply to: #142386

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Roll Call - John Tanner State Park Tri
I'll also be there...first tri ever, but looking forward to it.
2005-04-14 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Marietta, GA

I'll be there too!

Does anyone to go out one of the next two Saturdays and scout out the course?

2005-04-14 4:26 PM

User image

Marietta, GA
I will be there. Looking forward to it. No wetsuit.
2005-04-14 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
As listed above, I am in. However, the big question on my mind was wetsuit or no wetsuit? Hearing that so many of you are opting for no wetsuit, I will succumb to peer pressure and forego mine as well.

This is my first tri and will probably be my first open-water swim, not to mention my longest continuous swim. I hope I'm ready.

Any chances of a race-day get-together?
2005-04-15 3:50 PM

Atlanta

I would like to get up there this weekend, but not sure if I can make it.  It could be my first open water swim.

I am looking on the website http://gastateparks.org/info/jtanner/, not sure if they know we're coming in two weeks.  Who knew it's the largest sand swimming beach of any Georgia state park?

2005-04-18 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta

I am anxious about the wetsuit but won't have one.  Mostly because I DON'T have one.  Can you freeze in a 600 yd swim?  I don't think so.  As far as I know, the offer for tomorrow afternoon is still open to ride the course.  The tentative plan is to get there and be riding soon after 4:00pm. 

For you guys that have done this before, is the course the same as before?  Where would be a good place to have all us BT'ers meet or set up a little reception area?

Edited for spelling/ spacing.

Edited by atree 2005-04-18 9:45 AM
2005-04-20 2:54 PM

User image

Marietta, GA
So does anyone know anything about the course?
2005-04-20 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Ok....I am definitely checking out the park this sunday. My first tri as well. I plan to at less soak my feet in th elake to check the temp -- if I have a small group, then let's try to do an open swim. No time to delay here -- must conquer my fears. By the by, I have access to clean showers nearby the park.

Anyone interested in doing a brick session? .....
2005-04-21 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida

Updated List!

Roll Call:

Sranney

Browe79

Tplauche

Ayeong

DJP1812

Chop

JamesReeves

Hawkeye

JTee

Atree

Whit

Grahznybratchny

Csmaurer99

Aims

TriathMike7

Someone needs to take the reins of putting a meeting place or “get together” before the race. I don’t know the park at all so I can’t pick a place. We can try to meet at the parking lot or like a generic place (In front of the transition area at a certain time).

-D

2005-04-21 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Marietta, GA

I could have my girls make a poster with  "BT" on it but I don't know the area, nor am I much more creative beyond that.

Cheers

2005-04-22 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida

I am also making tentative plans to go out there Sunday. Mostly to ride the bike course and get familiar with the area. And to see what time I should leave in the morning on race day... Are there still people heading out there this weekend? And at what time?

-D

2005-04-22 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains

I'll be headed out there tomorrow (Saturday) morning to ride the course and (more than likely) pull a brick on a bit of the run.

I'm gettin' stoked about next weekend.  I'm off now to All3Sports to pick up some race gear!

Sweet!

Steve Ranney

2005-04-22 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
As for a meeting place -- I worked at UWG which is about 7 miles from the park. Might that be a good spot to meet up and drive to the park? Just a suggestion. I am familair with the city layout but not the park. As for working out this sunday -- I plan to be at the park around 10ish. Let me know if you want to join me for a brick training or just a bike ride.

Anyone know any cream/lotion products that can protect our body from cold water, just in case wetsuits are not allowed in the race .....

I have done my first brick yesterday indoor --- the good news is that I will be able to complete the race, bad news, well, much room to improve finishing time. But that's another story.

Cheerios guys!
2005-04-23 7:39 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains

I pray to all things holy in this world that it will not be as windy next week as it was today.

The bike course is very exposed to wind (rolling hills and pasture land lend themselves well to not blocking wind) and today it felt like the gusts were upwards of 30mph; I had a hard time keeping a straight line sometimes.  Wind was primarily beating me around from side to side, but on the long, straight road (Lovvorn), it was right in my face.

I like what I heard here on another thread: "The wind in my face makes me stronger;  the wind at my back makes me faster."

Take care, y'all; I'll see you next week.

SR

2005-04-25 10:11 AM

Atlanta

I have seen the enemy and it is that long hill on Lovvorn.  I went out on Sunday, got started on the ride, made a wrong turn (road was not labeled so I assumed it was Ingram) and ended up at the bottom of some hills at a fork in the road, both of which were unpaved.

Now I have less confidence, but I have seen the course.  The park is definitely off the beaten path, but there were signs leading to the park at every turn - at least I didn't get lost driving!

See you all Saturday.

Jeff

2005-04-25 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
Subject: RE: Roll Call - J.T. State Park

I also went out to ride the course Sunday afternoon. The wind was insane and lets just say I also got off the beaten path. I even feared for my life at time with cars flying by me at 80+. I some how got off course and also ended up going "up" a lot of wrong hills. Right when I thought things could not get worse, out of no where a dog is tracking me down. He gets right up to me and starts going for my leg, i couldnt get my shoe off the pedel to kick at him, so he ended up running me off the road where I crashed in a ditch. Not so good, lol. The fall did scare away the dog though, along with the owners screaming at it and me cursing up a storm. As I laid in the ditch the owners offered no help nor an apology. Some southern hospitality. I got back on my bike and finnally was able to find the park entrance. The 11 mile course ended up being 16 miles of rolling hills, wind in my face and a nice dog named, F You. The hill on the "backstretch" is very intimidating when you approach it, and is also pretty steep... The wind though made it so much worse. Pray for less wind on Sat. I will see you all next week.

-D

2005-04-25 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Jeff

I know what you mean!! I was there Sunday too. I know exactly where you are describing!! I was 11 miles off course -- miss a few turns that made my ride interesting to say the less. If you are following last year bike route online, please ignore the road names -- very confusing especially Bethel Church Rd.. once on Ingram Rd.-- a short ride, you turn into the long strecth of Lovvorn Rd. about 4 hills then Mt. Zion/Burwell Rd. ...just stick on this damn road and ignore Bethel Church Rd.... you will end up in a countried no pavement road..scary!!

A good marker will be Eureka Church road signs once you are on Mt. Zion Rd.

I froze my a** off yesterday and now I have a slight cough.. damn wind!!!!!

Now I know the bike route .... just look down the pavement when climbing the darn hill...definitely reserve some gas until half way on Lovvorn Rd.

Why not all Bter meet up at the map shed/bullentin board next to the campers' only restroom? Very close the park dumpster area....? suggestions?
2005-04-25 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
HA, we all got lost. Thats just great.
2005-04-25 10:52 AM

User image

Marietta, GA
The good thing for those of us that did not go out there is that by Saturday the route should be marked and they will have people at the corners. It is also supposed to be much warmer and much less windy.

Mike Haberman
2005-04-25 11:09 AM
in reply to: #147596

Atlanta
Subject: RE: Roll Call - J.T. State Park

DJP1812 - I saw that dog too, it came within 2 feet of the bike and made me a tad nervous.  That stinks for you though.

Ayeong - were you driving a white japanese sedan and your bike had toe cages?

2005-04-25 4:27 PM

User image

Atlanta
I'll be there. Look forward to seeing you guys.
2005-04-25 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Marietta, GA

Per the website:

Water temp as of 4/23 was 69 degrees F.  With the recent rains the water temp has cooled, but we expect race day water temps in the low to mid 70's.

2005-04-25 5:44 PM

User image

Atlanta, GA
I'm In!!!!
I'll be the official "poser" of the weekend!
I'm going up Saturday with a friend to scout the course and we are staying at the Holiday Inn.

I may be old but I make up for it by being slow!!!!
2005-04-25 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
It'll be warmer, but the forecast is calling for rain. But I'll be there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roll Call - John Tanner State Park Tri Rss Feed  

of 4