General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roll Call - John Tanner State Park Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2005-04-25 10:40 PM
in reply to: #147613

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: RE: Roll Call - J.T. State Park
grahznybratchny - 2005-04-25 11:09 AM

DJP1812 - I saw that dog too, it came within 2 feet of the bike and made me a tad nervous.  That stinks for you though.

Ayeong - were you driving a white japanese sedan and your bike had toe cages?

That's me in the white cavalier, not a jap car .... I am thinking of checking out the run trail on Wednesday around 3ish. I am taking an early day.That would be my training until saturday race. I might do some light weights on Friday and load up some carbs .....

Fellas -- there are a few great restaurants in Carrollton. If you need an unofficial guide, I can be that person. The "high priced" restaurant is Pearls. Lazy Donkey is a great fusion restaurant. I prefer Corner Cafe -- great deli and especially the most delicious bagel chips spinach dip.

I might could house a person if u are interested -- huge finished basement with a futon. If you have sleeping bags, more can join in. The commute to the park from my house is about 30 minutes via back roads. Let me know, so I can get approval from my other half.

Ok -- let's hope I can finish my forst tri... eck!

2005-04-26 9:03 AM
in reply to: #142386

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Roll Call - John Tanner State Park Tri
Okay, I'm in. I had hoped to lurk my way through, but I just had too many 'first tri' questions:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

What's the verdict for a meet-up? Anyone holding a sign?

Looking forward to seeing you all there. Make sure you stick around to watch me finish. I may be last (I was last at the jackrabbit duo two weeks ago), but I'll finish, and I'll do it smiling.

-Josh
2005-04-27 11:41 AM

User image

Marietta, GA
Well folks looks like we are going to be riding in the rain.

Where are we meeting and what are we calling ourselves?
2005-04-27 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta
With any luck we will get it in and the rain will hold off until we are done. I don't mind the rain it is the LIGHTNING I don't care for. There is still time though. It will change at least 2 more times between now and Saturday morning.I have been out there but don't really know how it will be set up. There are picnic tables and such. Parking could be an issue, it seems small. Of course the field is supposed to be 300. I wonder if the park knows how everything will be setup. If anyone goes out there, be sure to notice where a good meeting place might be. Surely someone going is a good social planner....it isn't me. I would say something like, "Let's just meet by that tree".
2005-04-27 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Meeting place -- I bet the beach area will be crowded. The park is small. Very limited parking lot. There a small bulletin shed close to the entrance gate -- the one sandwiched between the park dumpster and restroom for campers. This should be an easy spot to gather.

I am speculating that the parking lot closest to the park office will be the T1 area. At any rate, I will be in the park Friday to get my race package. I shall ask the officials there.

Comments?
2005-04-27 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
I won't be getting there until Saturday morning so I'm no help.  Let's hope the lightning stays off until we're done.

2005-04-27 11:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida

Just checked the weather... I now believe all weather "people" should be fired on the spot. There job is bulls&it and a 4 y/o can guess better! Sorry if any of you are weather "people" out there. Growing up in Fl. everyone knows, during the summer, it rains everyday at 4pm, they coudnt even get that sh&t right. Well as for Saturday, my fear came true. It is now going to be WINDY. But the prcipitation precentage has gone up to 80% (tuesday forcast) and now is back to 30%.  Hopefully it will hold off till most normal people are out of bed. And may I say once again that I dislike the weather service very much. Sorry for going off... jsut a long day at work.

-Disgruntled D

Edited by DJP1812 2005-04-27 11:21 PM
2005-04-28 12:49 AM
in reply to: #149143

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
A possible meeting place would be in front of the vendor setups, which are usually near and between the finish line and the swim start and next to the sign up and finish refreshment pavilion, at least the last two years at Tanner they were. Usually All3Sports and a custom orthotics place setup up booths. So we could meet at 7:30ish or before in front of All3Sports assuming they are there. Meeting near the park entrance is too far away. The parking lot near the large beach pavilion is the transition area. If you drive straight into the park you would end up near the pavilion.

Oh, I believe Davido is also doing the race so add him to the roll.

Edited by JTee 2005-04-28 12:49 AM
2005-04-28 8:49 AM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I'm heading to all3sports today to pick up my packet (and last minute goodies). I'll ask 'em if they're going to have a booth, and if they know where it'll be.

-Josh

(Chance of precipitation now at 40% for 8AM according to weatherunderground.com)
2005-04-28 2:19 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I'm all packeted, and ready to go. I assume the small sticker is for the front of the bike helmet, and the double number sticker is a seat post flag? Can anyone confirm?

All3Sports (I love those folks) are indeed going to be setting up a tent (and they'll have a bike mechanic there too). So that seems like a good place to meet with a reasonable chance of being out of the rain. 7:30?

Anyone have a suggestion for a secret sign or some such way of identifying each other? Anybody have a distinctive look that we can all find?

Looking forward to it - in case of lightning, they said they'd do a duathlon.

Chance of precipitation still 40%
2005-04-28 2:53 PM

User image

Marietta, GA
Hey Josh, yes the little number is for the helmet. The bike number usually goes on your top tube so it is visible from either side of the bike.

For those of you worried about cold water, one tip I read was to drink something very warm just before getting in the water. It keeps your core warm. Also, wearing two swim caps helps insulate your head. I have not tried either yet (I try to swim in warm races), but I will be this weekend.

My race number is 128 and I will wander over to the All 3 Sports booth. Some of them know me, Curtis the bike mechanic can point me out. Otherwise just look for the old Clydesdale.

2005-04-28 3:30 PM

Atlanta

I am really wishing I had a wetsuit now.

Should I buy a cheaper one?

A positive is that LA Fitness has had no heat in the pool I swim in for the past week. 

2005-04-28 4:08 PM

User image

Marietta, GA
Well, first you don't know if it is wetsuit legal. Secondly, is there such a thing as a "cheap" wetsuit? Thirdly, this is a short swim... 20 minutes or less and you are going to be moving... I think most of us should be able to stand 70 degree water for 20 minutes or less. You aren't just going to be immersed in it, you will be generating alot of body heat from movement.

I know in a Tri in Oct up in the mountains my first reaction what "Damn this is cold", but after the first few minutes I did not pay attention to it, and certainly not at the end of the half mile.
2005-04-29 6:51 AM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, Mike - I was hoping it would be toptube, because I'd hate to lose my underseat storage to put a flag on the seatpost (especially first aid kit).

I'm hoping that by the time we're done standing around in the cold wind and rain waiting for the start (60deg, 13mph wind) the water will actually be a slight relief. I'm filling my mind today devising geeky strategies of keeping my stuff relatively dry in the transition areas - I'm picturing many, many trashbags, not counting the one I'll probably be wearing.

I'm #28 and it looks like my wife will have to work, so I'll be solo.

Somehow, even with the weather and first-time jitters, I'm still really looking forward to it.

See y'all there,

Josh
2005-04-29 8:58 AM

User image

Marietta, GA
Hey Josh... my wife is working too, in New York City, so I am solo as well...

I figured I would bring a couple trash bags too, though that will slow down the transitions times some...

You should look forward to it.... they are fun...
2005-04-29 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta

Ok.  I am there.  Number 265.  I don't know if my wife will sleep in or not.  Hopefully she will make it, you only get one chance at your first Tri.  I'll be the one with that sleepy, scared deer in the headlights look.  I am looking forward to it and anxious at the same time.  It will be what it will be, just have fun and be strong. 

2005-04-29 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
The High Plains

Number 250, baby! 

I'll be there with a few garbage bags too to try and keep things dry.  Did we ever decide on a place to meet?  A few of these folks I may remember from the Silver Comet ride we did back in January, but I'm not so good with names... 

SR

2005-04-29 9:29 AM
in reply to: #149885

Atlanta

Atree, if you are the 'sleepy, scared deer in the headlights look' guy, I will be that, but the short-pasty white version.

Do most folks run in running shirts, t-shirts, or their bike shirt? 

Same socks on the bike as the run?

Secure your cycling shoes or put them on in transition?

Thanks see you all there.

Jeff

2005-04-29 9:58 AM

User image

Marietta, GA
I would put shoes on in transition unless you have practiced slipping your shoes on while on the bike. The less you have to put on and take off the shorter the time you are in transition. I swim, bike and run in a tri-top and tri-shorts. I may skip the socks coming out of the water and slip right into my bike shoes and put socks on when I run, just to help eliminate a potential blister since i am not used to running without socks. I have ridden without them and blisters are not an issue since there is not a lot of rubbing because your foot position is relatively stable. If you ride with gloves, leave them on for the run... on less thing you have to take off...

In a transition clinic I took they said try to remain standing... put your shoes on standing, if you sit down, you slow down...

Most of you first timers will probably pass me at some point since you are younger and slimmer... so make sure you say "Hey Mike" as you pass #128.

I think we are supposed to meet at All 3 Sports booth around 7:30.
2005-04-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: #149897

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta

We will all be wearing black trash bags anyway!

This is my first tri but, I have done a Du or two.  I run in whatever I wore on the bike.

Same socks on bike and run (could be different on longer races)

Put shoes on in transition.

That's just me.  If you are used to wearing a different type of sock in each event, change socks.  I will probably bring an extra pair in case they get real wet on the ride.  The shoe thing I have heard takes alot of practice to leave them attached to the bike and put them on while riding.  Oh yeah, you start out going up a gradual hill here too.

I had rather take a little extra time in transition and be comfortable than go quick and be miserable.

2005-04-29 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida

I think I might have filled out my registration wrong... I'm in the first wave. The last wave is for all novice. Should I be in this wave? I rather not drown while people are swimming over me...

All 3 Sports tent 7:30 sounds great. Ill also be using trash bags for everything.

-D

Edited by DJP1812 2005-04-29 10:07 AM

2005-04-29 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta

Meet:  Around 7:30 at the All3Sports Tent!

Feel free to add your number..... 

Updated List!

Roll Call:

Sranney   #250

Browe79 

Tplauche 

Ayeong 

DJP1812 

Chop 

JamesReeves 

Hawkeye 

JTee 

Atree   #265

Whit 

Grahznybratchny

Csmaurer99

Aims

TriathMike7   #128

Josh Berman   #28

Crispin

Chuck C

Davido  ??

2005-04-29 10:19 AM
in reply to: #149933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta
Hey D!  In your packet it says that the 1st wave is just Age Groupers (male) up to 34 yrs old.  If you wanted to be in the Novice group (Wave 5) I would call All3Sports and see how big a deal it would be to get moved.  Other wise line up on the right! that's where I'll be in Wave 2.
2005-04-29 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida

Ill line up on the right also, thanks!. I guess I'll just tough it out. 

I was also thinking since it might be raining maybe i should get some sunglasses for the bike. Has anyone rode in rain before. Does it affect you that much? If so.. .anyone know of a nice gas station to get some glasses at. This traithlon thing is taking me to the bank!

-D

2005-04-29 10:32 AM

User image

Marietta, GA
I have ridden in the rain and I usually take my glasses off. They get wet and hard to see out of. Make sure you bring towels and dry clothes to change into, because after a wet ride you will be a mess.... and after the trail run your shoes will be muddy as well.... It can be fun or not, all depends on your attitude, but regardless it is messy...

Since you will be wearing a chip for timing if you want to go in the last wave I don't think there will be any problem... your time starts when you cross the timing line...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roll Call - John Tanner State Park Tri Rss Feed  

of 4