University of Oregon Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 40s
Overall Rank = 80/94
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/14
Pre-race routine:

Drove up the day before and stayed in Eugene. We went up to the lake on Saturday and checked out the venue and rode the first half of the course. It is a great ride. Got to bed early in the hotel. Got up at 5:30, got the gear ready, checked out of the hotel, and drove up to the lake. Didn't eat much.
Event warmup:

Jogged around a bit. Got into the water and swam about 100 yards or so. It turns out I should have warmed up more.
Swim
  • 31m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got in the water a bit late for warming up and only had about 200 yards of swimming to warm up. At the start, I just couldn't get my rhythm. It took about 500 yards to get settled in. I had to keep stopping to catch my breath and get focused. After I did get settled in, I made really good time and ended up getting a personal best on the swim. The swim could have been so much better, though.
What would you do differently?:

More time in the water before the start time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Some of the fast guys got through T1 in 32 seconds. I have no idea how this happens? Someone needs to tell me how they do it. How do you get the suit off, get your shoes on, get the helmet on, and run though transition in 32 seconds?

I don't know. I need an education that.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.77 mile/hr
Comments:

A great ride. I could have squeaked out a better pace, maybe one mile an hour more, but I wouldn't have had much left for the bike. Overall a great ride that I am happy with.

I'm thinking about changing my rear cassette to get a bit more climbing power.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Fairly good transition. I can understand how these can go faster, but still one guy had a 20 second transition. That's a full sprint!
Run
  • 57m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out a bit shaky. My lets were tired after the bike and I thought I was going to be much slower. After about a half a mile I started settling in and feeling very good. My goal was to break 3 hours on this race and I knew I'd have to kill the run to do it. I was able to pick up the pace and keep fairly steady despite the two thirds of the course being hilly. Ended with what for me is an excellent 10K pace.

I need more water on the run, but there was only one aid station. I hate carrying water on a run, but I ended up very dehydrated on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

walk, breath, walk, repeat... get lots of water, finally eat some of the food provided when I could.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

25 extra pounds around my waist!

Event comments:

An excellent race! I shaved almost 25 minutes off of last years time. I could have done better on the swim. Without just getting in a lot better shape I couldn't have done better on the bike or the run. I could squeak about a minute or a minute and a half out of the transitions, but that is minor overall.

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:18 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 0/94
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion
Course: 750 meter triangle, looped twice.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:23:55 | 24.85 miles | 17.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/14
Wind: Little
Course: The first half is a big loop through very scenic areas, including a ride a long a beautiful creek and through a historic covered bridge. The second half is an out and back along a paved road through the forest. The first half includes a lot of flats with a couple of big climbs, the second half is rolling with a lot of minor climbing. The constant climbing on the second half slowed the pace down a lot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:41 | 06.21 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/14
Course: The run starts out with a small gradual climb, then drops for about a quarter of a mile and then has about a mile flat across the damn. After that the next two and half miles are very hilly with a couple of steep climbs that you turn around and hit a second time before heading back to the damn. The run ends with a steep quarter mile climb just before a short drop to the finish line.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 12:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Subject: Duck Bill Thrill

2009-05-18 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2156918

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Duck Bill Thrill

dcossey - 2009-05-17 10:08 PM

Way to go Gene. I wish I ould have been there. Some of those T-1's are super fast aren't they? I don't know how someone can run the distance from the water to the bikes, take off wetsuits and get bike gear on in the time they record.

2009-05-18 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Good job hanging tough. Great improvement from last year.

It was a great venue for the race and great weather.

We are the results posted? I know they announced it but I wasn't paying attention. The event site does not have them posted yet. Thanks.

2009-05-18 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I found the results.

2009-05-18 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2157426

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

IRONVIKING - 2009-05-18 7:01 AM

dcossey - 2009-05-17 10:08 PM

Way to go Gene. I wish I ould have been there. Some of those T-1's are super fast aren't they? I don't know how someone can run the distance from the water to the bikes, take off wetsuits and get bike gear on in the time they record.

I believe the time running from the beach to the transition was included in the swim time not the T1 time. The swim was short. I got passed on the run to T1 and it is reflected in the swim standings

2009-05-20 7:06 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Pretty darn good race for the early part of the season.    I've always had that swimming warmup feeling of out of breath,   and then everything kicks in and I find the rhythm.

Nice run time especially after doing the long run two weeks ago.

I think you are pretty well set for IMCDA.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duck Bill Thrill Rss Feed