Subaru Triathlon Series
15C / 59F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 49s
Overall Rank = 335/417
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/19
Pre-race routine:

This was my first multisport event! But race prep was pretty normal for me. Got up and had a bowl of cereal. No problems.
Event warmup:

We got to the race site. We set up transition and then I ate 3/4 of a power bar. I didn't want to be out running or anything so we checked out the race site and sate in the grass.
Run
  • 19m 37s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 54s  min/km
Comments:

My legs felt sluggish even on the first leg of the race but I kept well with the crowd and was happy with that since I started with wave 1. Everyone started out fast, as uasual and i dropped back a bit to pace myself. Within the first 500m i started passing people. My legs felt a little wobbly coming in on the grass.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe warmed up a bit to loosen up my legs but i was pretty happy with the run.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I walked into transition pretty out of breath and the first thing that HAS to be done is putting on the helmet and doing it up. D was watching over the edge and reminded me to put my gloves on.I took a bit of a gel and ran out to the bike mount.

I don't know. This was my first transition ever.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 21s
  • 30 kms
  • 26.73 km/hr
Comments:

It took me a minute to get on the bike and I was nervous about starting since this was my first bike race ever! My legs took a bit to warm up and there were hills right away. And they were tough!! We'd gone up 3 significant inclines before we hit 10k and I was wondering about my endurance. But I found a groove and obeyed D's advice not to brake on the downhill which helped me pick up speed. I was impressed that I was able to take some water while riding - though not nearly enough. And I did brake for the turning we had to do. I got passed by A LOT of people ... But I did manage to pass a few myself and still felt in the thick of it when I came in.

Have practiced gearing a bit more. I ended up spending a bit of time fumbling to get into the big chain ring because i haven't used it yet this year. I probably could have gained some speed by using it more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Pretty uneventful. I had seen the girl i wanted pass leave for Run 2 as i came in on the bike so the chances were slim.

Taken off my long sleeve shirt which was good for the bike but I didn't really need for the run.
Run
  • 20m 45s
  • 4 kms
  • 05m 11s  min/km
Comments:

I took it a bit easier and did walk for teeny bit to get some water in. And the last part to the finish was on grass which also felt hard to run on. I passed a few people out here. But it was a tough run.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race I picked up some water and changed into fresh clothes. Got all the post-race food and hung around for the raffle afterward. I didn't win but it's a cool idea.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike training. But overall i am happy with the result. I didn't want to be last and I felt like it was a great experience. Would definitely do it again!

Event comments:

My results are by no means spectacular and I definitely had a strong run which helped me but I was most happy to get comfortable on the bike and learn to pick up the speed a bit.

Last updated: 2008-12-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:37 | 04 kms | 04m 54s  min/km
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/417
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. No shade. Starts as a downhill with an up hill in the first km. Run on the grass to get to transition.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 02:07
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:07:21 | 30 kms | 26.73 km/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Country roads. Course is a sort of loop with an out and back attached. The race in past has only been 25k but this year it was 30k. Some decent rolling hills. Cool thing was that we were out in Mennonite farm country and some of the kids were out sitting on fence poles watching all us cyclists go by!
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:45 | 04 kms | 05m 11s  min/km
Course: Same as run 1
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-21 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Victoria's Duathlon

2009-05-24 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2165432

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Victoria's Duathlon

Congratulations on your first multi sport event!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victoria's Duathlon Rss Feed