General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Kids Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-21 11:31 AM

Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: Training with Kids
So how many of you out there incorporate time with your kids into your training?

I have a 15 month old and I have a Chariot trailer. A couple times a week he and I go out for a run with him in the trailer and I have mapped out a few training routes that include playgrounds so I will run for a few miles to a playground, he and I play there for a while, then he goes back in the jogger and we run to another playground and so on until we make the run home.

This past weekend we hooked it up to the bike for the first time. I rode a few blocks to the first stoplight and turned around as I stopped and said "how you doing back there buddy? Having fun?" and the only reply I got was a fist pumped up in the air and him saying "more!!" Gotta love it

Oh and now he gets all excited about seeing anyone go by on a bike and says "bike, bike, zoom, zoom"

How young do you think he can do a kids triathlon?

In the early part of the season this has gotten me running a lot more than in the past. So much more fun with him along and I think good for both of us.
Just wondered how many others are training with kids in tow or infront of you

2009-05-21 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2165961

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Training with Kids
Well mine are too big for pulling or pushing, but I take them to the high school with me to do track work.  They ride on their scooters around the track while I do my workout.  Once I let my older on come on a "run" with me, he made it to the bottom of our street before he was gassed.   My parents weren't competitive in anything but they always set a good example of fitness, and I hope to do the same for my sons.  Keep up the good work!
2009-05-21 11:44 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

I took my son on a jog once in a jogging stroller, and he complained the whole time (only 4 miles) that he couldn't see the house or mommy anymore...

That was last summer...I hope to try it again soon.

I had contemplated taking him on my long bike ride, in a bike stroller, but he's just not that into it...anything over 2 miles and it is "complaining time"...too bad.

2009-05-21 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I have 5 kids. Last weekend I did a sprint relay with my oldest daughter and we won top female relay. I often do loops in long runs so kids might do xxx distance with me then we go home and they get their bikes and do some with me. I let them pick how far to go and make up the route from there. My 14 year old will run with me but she is faster; my husband will run with me as well just for part of my runs.

4 out of 5 of my kids have done tris. I think 5 is about the youngest you can do a short kids tri. The day my youngest learned to ride a bike without training wheels her first question is when can I do a triathlon and we found one for her a couple weeks later.

I go to family swim and let my kids play in the pool while I swim and get hit with noodles, balls and kids.

Track workouts are great to bring kids with as they can do whatever they want and I can do my workouts.

I will sometimes do a ride and go with whoever wants to for maybe 30-45' then double back home and go ride, I count that first part as my warm up.

This summer our 14 year old, my husband and I are doing a few tris together. My extended family all gets together and does this sprint in Duluth MN when we are there at the right time.

When your kids get older, I try to train around their practices and games. I've been known to bring my trainer to soccer games and do my workout on the sidelines cheering on my kids...get some strange looks. I'll start my workout from where I drop the kids off for practice and time it so I'm back when its over.

Our 13 year old daughter wants to try cyclocross this fall so we can race together as juniors and women normally race together.

I find creative ways to include my kids when I can.

I see this Dad running who often is with a 4-5 year old on a scooter.
2009-05-21 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
It is funny to see this thread as I just walked in the house from taking my 2yr old son for a run in the Chariot and then to the park.  He loves it every time I hit a bump or he sees a motorcycle.  Hopefully he stays this entertained for a while longer.  I think I am going to get the bike attachment next week so that I can hook him up to my mountain bike too.  He likes going fast so that should be fun.  I know it won't be as good as riding my tri bike, but at least I will still be pedalling and getting in miles.
2009-05-21 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
My Bob had a lot of miles on it.  Sometimes I'll ride on the trainer in the backyard while they play.  Just make sure the two legged kids AND four legged children don't go near the rear wheel.   This reduces the "you don't spend enough time w/ us..blah blah blah" nagging from the ol' lady too.

2009-05-21 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Good to see this thread!  My 4 year old has pretty much outgrown my BOB stroller...her legs are too long for it and she is getting too tall.  We used to do the same thing - let mommy run for awhile, then play at the playground and run some more.  Fortunately, I also have a 1 year old who will probably the enjoy the BOB for a few years.

My next purchase will be a bike trailer so I can bring the kiddos with me on a ride!  Anything to get in some quality family time and still be able to train. 
2009-05-21 12:22 PM

User image

Master
syracuse
when I do track w/o's, sometimes I'll bring 2 of my boys with lacross sticks, soccer balls.  The high school has an awesome truf field and they'll play around on the turf while I run...

2009-05-21 12:48 PM

User image

When my daughter was younger (she is now 5) I took her out with me in a baby jogger and we even did two 10k races together. Somewhere I have a great photo of me pushing hard for the finish line and her fast asleep in the stroller.

J
2009-05-21 1:18 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis
I figured there would be a few others out there on this board.

They say you cannot put kids in the jogging stroller until they are 6 months old. My son is a pretty solidly built kid so one week before age 6 months my wife and I were comfortable putting him in the jogger. I started out with short runs and slowly built up. I wanted to start getting him used to it early so he would be comfortable.
Now he just loves both running and biking. He and I did a 5K last year when he was 9 months old and we are signed up for at least one of those this year and I think we are going to do a 38 mile bike tour with him in the trailer. I can't wait to see him at the rest stops for that, between all the people, food and bikes he is going to go nuts.

It definitely changes the intensity of the training but it is easily just as much fun. The one thing I have found is that I tend to run longer distances with him and higher pace shorter runs without.

Can't wait to see his reaction this summer when he gets to come and watch his first triathlon
2009-05-21 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Great Thread!
My kids all mastered their bike handling skills while on one of my runs. Their pace on a little bike and my jogging pace are about the same. Plus-they get to carry your water/gel in a mini-fanny pack bought just for them. Some of my best conversations with them have come on these ride/runs. So far 2 out of 3 are 'cyclist' (that middle kid went the skateboard route-he's too cool to ride now)

2009-05-21 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
I have a two year old and have a seat for the back of my bike and jogger. She likes it, especially when we detour to the park or the store near the end. If I am really lucky she leaps on me when I am on my back stretching. Not real helpful Smile.  She's "ready" for triathlon. Yesterday she was "running" pushing her tricycle and if you get her within 100 feet of a beach she runs right in with a no fear swim start attitude (clothes and all).
It is definitely harder to find the time to do longer workouts with a kid in the house. For the mean time I am sticking to sprints and will try a Oly at the end of the summer, but can't imagine finding the time to train anymore with the current life balance I have.
2009-05-21 3:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
This weekend, I'm taking my son to this big artificial turf field near my apartment so he can practice riding without his training wheels. Then, while he practices riding around the field, I'm going to work on my transitions--getting off the bike with the shoes clipped in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Kids Rss Feed