2009-05-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2181537

User image

Expert
PA
Subject: RE: The Bible
dontracy - 2009-05-29 2:41 PM

wabash -
could "eat" (gnaw, masticate) also poetically mean to totally absorb, hold close to, cherish, or exist off of, the work that Jesus was going to do on the cross?

Two problems with that.

First is that if you are reading it "poetically", then you are not reading it literally.  You've said that your belief is that scripture ought to be read literally.  So there is an inconsistency there.

The second problem is the reaction of His disciples. Why would they leave Him over a poem?  If it was merely poetic phrasing, well they'd essentially heard it before, hadn't they?

This is something radically different that they were hearing.

such scrutiny.    ive said that some of the bible is poetic.  some in parables.  some history.  and it is to be read literally.  not subjectively.

2009-05-29 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2181613

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

wabash -
so you believe there's some "age of accountability"? that children arent born into sin?

Well, we're born with original sin, hense the need for infant baptism.

But no, we aren't culpable for a sin unless we understand what it is we're doing.  Sinning requires a grave act, full knowledge of the act, and free will in performing the act.  A child under the age of reason hasn't developed enough cognitively to meet this standard.

The age of reason has traditionally been held to be around the seventh year or so.  That seems about right. That seems to be about the time in a child's development when they start to understand moral equations.

2009-05-29 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2181653

wabash - 2009-05-29 3:12 PM
such scrutiny.    ive said that some of the bible is poetic.  some in parables.  some history.  and it is to be read literally.  not subjectively.

Ah, but poetry is almost never literal. 

2009-05-29 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2181549

User image

Expert
PA
dontracy - 2009-05-29 2:45 PM

wabash -
whats the big deal that she gave birth to Jesus.  its not the packaging that matters, but the gift.

Do you believe that Mary is the Mother of God? The Theotokos, God Bearer?

This was held to be true by the early Christians even before there was a Bible.

If the early Christians were correct, then it certainly is a big deal. A very big deal.

yes, she's the mother of God.  but i think thats where the hooplah ends for me.
yes, the early christians were correct too that mary was the mother of jesus.  but what did that mean to them, other than it was acknowledged by them?  does Jesus command us to put his mother (of human birth and flesh) on a pedestal?  or exalt jonah, the disciples, moses, noah, or david etc. 
i mean, Jesus was actually around before Mary gave birth to him anyhow.  He was with God from the beginning of all time.  mary was his earthly way of arriving, nothing more.
2009-05-29 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2181664

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-29 2:15 PM

Stop it.  I mean it.

Anybody want a peanut.

2009-05-29 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation

Ah crap, what am I still doing reading these emails?!

I think what Wabash is trying to say is that the parts that are literal - you take them literally. The parts that are poetic - you take them poetically. The parts that are hyperbole - you take them as hyperbole. The parts that are sarcastic - you take them sarcastically. Nobody honestly thought Jesus meant he was a huge chunk of wood when he said "I am the door of the sheep" in John 10:7. Nobody thinks that Jesus is a giant female chicken when he says "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." in Matthew 23:23/Luke 13:34. The general idea is that you don't take a literal passage and say that it's poetic - it literally is literal [Genesis 1, for example]. Same with a poetic passage - you don't take it as literal, you literally take it as poetic. That's why I think people misunderstand what "taking the Bible literally" actually means. We still make use of the literal styles inside of it [hyperbole, poetry, sarcasm], but we don't go off the deep end on things like the examples listed above. The Greek language is such an exact language - way more exact than English could ever hope to be - and understanding how sentence structures and repetition means something different from other structures, etc.

2009-05-29 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
PA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-29 3:15 PM

are the psalms and song of solomon not poetic?  and it can be taken literal.
2009-05-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2181122

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-29 12:37 PM

ASsuming you are of the Catholic persuasion, this holds true. But for some of us, it does not For example, I don't believe in transubstantiation. I think there is something cool that happens when you take Communion - that Jesus is present somehow, but that it is not the real body and blood. I think the Lutherans believe this (Preach?), as well as other Protestant denoms, including many people at my church. Regardless, the meaning is the same.

Lutherans and Catholics agree about WHAT happens in the Eucharist, that Jesus is truly present (and substantially if we are to use the Aristotelian metaphysical categories) in the bread and the wine.  Lutherans simply do not want to limit the explanation to one non-scriptural explanation.  We don't feel the need to talk about HOW Jesus becomes present.  Had Aquinas and Luther been able to talk, there would have been no disagreement, I believe.  Transubstantiation, particularly the substance language changed over the course of a couple of centuries, so by the time of Luther, it was looking different from Aquinas' time.   It is enough for us to trust Jesus is not lying when he says, "This is my body... This is my blood."  But there is certainly some transformation that occurs over the course of the Eucharistic prayer so that Jesus is truly present FOR US, that is present to forgive sins, build and nourish faith, bring about salvation as we take these elements.

2009-05-29 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2181711

User image

Expert
PA
Bripod - 2009-05-29 3:24 PM

Ah crap, what am I still doing reading these emails?! I think what Wabash is trying to say is that the parts that are literal - you take them literally. The parts that are poetic - you take them poetically. The parts that are hyperbole - you take them as hyperbole. The parts that are sarcastic - you take them sarcastically. Nobody honestly thought Jesus meant he was a huge chunk of wood when he said "I am the door of the sheep" in John 10:7. Nobody thinks that Jesus is a giant female chicken when he says "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." in Matthew 23:23/Luke 13:34. The general idea is that you don't take a literal passage and say that it's poetic - it literally is literal [Genesis 1, for example]. Same with a poetic passage - you don't take it as literal, you literally take it as poetic. That's why I think people misunderstand what "taking the Bible literally" actually means. We still make use of the literal styles inside of it [hyperbole, poetry, sarcasm], but we don't go off the deep end on things like the examples listed above. The Greek language is such an exact language - way more exact than English could ever hope to be - and understanding how sentence structures and repetition means something different from other structures, etc.

thank you.  i thought i was de-railing! 
2009-05-29 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2181613

User image

wabash - they are telling us that mary needed a savior.

Yes, that's right. Mary needed a Savior.

It turns out that apparently, our Savior also needed Mary.

Consider what akustix said in an earlier post about eternal life being about living in a new physical reality. (and I'm not speaking for Brian here about his take on Mary. It's just that what he posted struck me deeply and has been with me through the day)

If the Eschaton is that we are to live a bodily existence in an eternal union with God, then perhaps Mary offers us some very deep insight into the nature of that union.

After all, Mary's flesh literally united with the Holy Spirit, and from that union Jesus was conceived.

That my dear brother in Christ is a very big deal.

Just mediate on that and consider it in the context of being yourself a human, the highest of God's creatures.  Through Mariology, the study of how we come to know God through Mary, I've gained a deeper understanding of my own humanity and how it is connected to God.

Mary is a creature, to be sure. But what creature is more important in Salvation history than Mary? None that I can think of.

As a side note, for those who mistakinly equate the Catholic Church with misogyny, please consider this. Of all of God's creatures, none is considered more important than Mary, a woman.  Just consider that perhaps the development of women's rights, which historically sprung up within Western Christian culture, may have had it's roots in this fact.

Edited by dontracy 2009-05-29 2:36 PM
2009-05-29 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2181721

akustix - 2009-05-29 3:26 PM

wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-29 12:37 PM

ASsuming you are of the Catholic persuasion, this holds true. But for some of us, it does not For example, I don't believe in transubstantiation. I think there is something cool that happens when you take Communion - that Jesus is present somehow, but that it is not the real body and blood. I think the Lutherans believe this (Preach?), as well as other Protestant denoms, including many people at my church. Regardless, the meaning is the same.

Lutherans and Catholics agree about WHAT happens in the Eucharist, that Jesus is truly present (and substantially if we are to use the Aristotelian metaphysical categories) in the bread and the wine.  Lutherans simply do not want to limit the explanation to one non-scriptural explanation.  We don't feel the need to talk about HOW Jesus becomes present.  Had Aquinas and Luther been able to talk, there would have been no disagreement, I believe.  Transubstantiation, particularly the substance language changed over the course of a couple of centuries, so by the time of Luther, it was looking different from Aquinas' time.   It is enough for us to trust Jesus is not lying when he says, "This is my body... This is my blood."  But there is certainly some transformation that occurs over the course of the Eucharistic prayer so that Jesus is truly present FOR US, that is present to forgive sins, build and nourish faith, bring about salvation as we take these elements.

spanks much, Preach

2009-05-29 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2175320

User image

Expert
PA
i have a headache now.  i need to find my bike for about 2 hours.........
alright im calling it quits.  heck, i might just get fired for being online this long today.  oh well, it was all for the Lord!
2009-05-29 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2181721

User image

akustix - Jesus is truly present (and substantially if we are to use the Aristotelian metaphysical categories) in the bread and the wine.

I keep hoping that some theologian with a PhD in physics will turn up soon and write about the Eucharist from the perspective of string theory.

2009-05-29 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2175320

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

Mary was discarded in the aftermath of the Reformation, even though Luther never did... while we might have some issues with Mary still, there is a movement to reclaim Mary's proper place in the Church... she is the prototype for all Christians.  her assent to God's will "let it be with me as you will..." should be ours as well... as to her sinless nature I cannot hold... but I can pray almost the entire Hail Mary since it is scriptural... the last line is the deal breaker for me... I cannot ask her to pray for me (that is to intercede on behalf of me for my salvation, as if she has some extra power to effect it).  If we were to alter the last line "pray WITH us sinners now and at the hour of our death," I could because the saints do indeed pray with us.  We are a koinonia without bounds in time and space after all. 

2009-05-29 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2181796

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

dontracy - 2009-05-29 3:40 PM

akustix - Jesus is truly present (and substantially if we are to use the Aristotelian metaphysical categories) in the bread and the wine.

I keep hoping that some theologian with a PhD in physics will turn up soon and write about the Eucharist from the perspective of string theory.

While it might have some apologetic value for moderns (as substance langugage did for Aquinas), we must still object if it were elevated to doctrine... if transubstantiation had never been elevated to doctrinal status and left on par with Augustine's discussions of the eucharist, then fine.  As soon as it is codified in canon law... object. But as pious description... fine.

2009-05-29 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2181653

User image

wabash -

OK, that's clearer for me. I undersand you better now. Thanks.

2009-05-29 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2181816

User image

akustix - As soon as it is codified in canon law... object. But as pious description... fine.

The Council of Trent?

I don't know much about the Council of Trent.  I don't know much about the Reformation, actually. (I did know that Luther held Mary in high esteem.)

What would you recommend as a good primer on the Reformation from a Lutheran point of view?

Edited by dontracy 2009-05-29 2:56 PM
2009-05-29 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2181764

User image

wabash -  i have a headache now.

I'll pray for you.

2009-05-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2181711

User image

Champion

Bripod - 2009-05-29 2:24 PM

Ah crap, what am I still doing reading these emails?! I think what Wabash is trying to say is that the parts that are literal - you take them literally. The parts that are poetic - you take them poetically. The parts that are hyperbole - you take them as hyperbole. The parts that are sarcastic - you take them sarcastically. Nobody honestly thought Jesus meant he was a huge chunk of wood when he said "I am the door of the sheep" in John 10:7. Nobody thinks that Jesus is a giant female chicken when he says "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." in Matthew 23:23/Luke 13:34. The general idea is that you don't take a literal passage and say that it's poetic - it literally is literal [Genesis 1, for example]. Same with a poetic passage - you don't take it as literal, you literally take it as poetic. That's why I think people misunderstand what "taking the Bible literally" actually means. We still make use of the literal styles inside of it [hyperbole, poetry, sarcasm], but we don't go off the deep end on things like the examples listed above. The Greek language is such an exact language - way more exact than English could ever hope to be - and understanding how sentence structures and repetition means something different from other structures, etc.

True, but wasn't the original language Aramaic that was then translated into Latin?  And from what I understand about Aramaic and even Hebrew today, is that it is/was terribly inexact?

ETA: Changed Roman to Latin.  DUH!

Edited by crowny2 2009-05-29 2:58 PM
2009-05-29 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2181900

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
crowny2 - 2009-05-29 2:58 PM

True, but wasn't the original language Aramaic that was then translated into Latin?  And from what I understand about Aramaic and even Hebrew today, is that it is/was terribly inexact?

Some of it was Aramaic [Cephas was Peter's Aramaic name, after all], some Hebrew. The entire NT is Greek, since that was the language of the day. Greek is the most precise of all the languages of the Bible, but Hebrew is pretty precise as well. The people of those times were very good at getting things across without punctuation, capitalization, bold, italics, etc. We dunces of today have to rely on a sarc font in order that we don't get lambasted and taken too seriously!

As far as it being translated into different languages, that has been going on basically ever since there was written language, but Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek are the originals as I understand them. At one point the Old Testament was translated into Greek - you might have heard the term "Septuagint" or seen the letters "LXX" which is just a reference to the Greek translation of the OT. The manuscript evidence comes from several different languages as the manuscripts themselves were written during different time periods and in different regions.
2009-05-29 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2181927

User image

Champion

Bripod - 2009-05-29 3:08 PM

Some of it was Aramaic [Cephas was Peter's Aramaic name, after all], some Hebrew. The entire NT is Greek, since that was the language of the day. Greek is the most precise of all the languages of the Bible, but Hebrew is pretty precise as well. The people of those times were very good at getting things across without punctuation, capitalization, bold, italics, etc. We dunces of today have to rely on a sarc font in order that we don't get lambasted and taken too seriously! As far as it being translated into different languages, that has been going on basically ever since there was written language, but Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek are the originals as I understand them. At one point the Old Testament was translated into Greek - you might have heard the term "Septuagint" or seen the letters "LXX" which is just a reference to the Greek translation of the OT. The manuscript evidence comes from several different languages as the manuscripts themselves were written during different time periods and in different regions.

Thank you sir.  Learn something new every day. 

2009-05-29 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2181937

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
crowny2 - 2009-05-29 3:14 PM

Bripod - 2009-05-29 3:08 PM

The manuscript evidence comes from several different languages as the manuscripts themselves were written during different time periods and in different regions.

Thank you sir.  Learn something new every day. 

I do need to clarify my above statement - the majority of the NT manuscripts are in Greek, but there are also corroborating manuscripts from different languages that support the message of the older mss. I didn't want to lend the idea that the manuscripts were all written at different times from different regions and not really connected to the dates and people that were witnesses to the events. The fact that Peter's Aramaic name was used in the "gospel I preached to you" of I Corinthians 15 suggests that the message there can be dated back to about 2 years after the resurrection. Even most liberal critics admit that it dates to within the same generation of the resurrection. Pretty cool stuff, if ya ask me!

Go Huskers! :-P
2009-05-29 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2181957

User image

Bripod -The fact that Peter's Aramaic name was used in the "gospel I preached to you" of I Corinthians 15 suggests that the message there can be dated back to about 2 years after the resurrection. Even most liberal critics admit that it dates to within the same generation of the resurrection. Pretty cool stuff, if ya ask me!

That is pretty cool stuff.

Why would the use of Cephas indicate such an early manuscript?  Is it that the Greek usage "Peter" just wouldn't have developed yet?

Edited by dontracy 2009-05-29 3:38 PM
2009-05-29 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2181991

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
dontracy - 2009-05-29 3:37 PM

Bripod -The fact that Peter's Aramaic name was used in the "gospel I preached to you" of I Corinthians 15 suggests that the message there can be dated back to about 2 years after the resurrection. Even most liberal critics admit that it dates to within the same generation of the resurrection. Pretty cool stuff, if ya ask me!

Why would the use of Cephas indicate such an early manuscript?  Is it that the Greek usage "Peter" just wouldn't have developed yet?

I forget exactly what it was about it. The actual writing of I Corinthians is most likely dated to the first half of A.D. 55, however that specific "gospel" message that Paul lays out in chp. 15 dates to not long after the resurrection. I'll have to look it up again and get back to you; I was thinking it was in my study Bible but it's not. Maybe I read it in "The Case for Christ"? Anybody? Bueller?

I just did a quick Google search and apparently 1 Cor 15 has its own Wikipedia page. FWIW! It talks about what I mentioned above.
2009-05-29 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2182015

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Bripod - 2009-05-29 3:47 PM

dontracy - 2009-05-29 3:37 PM

I forget exactly what it was about it. The actual writing of I Corinthians is most likely dated to the first half of A.D. 55, however that specific "gospel" message that Paul lays out in chp. 15 dates to not long after the resurrection. I'll have to look it up again and get back to you; I was thinking it was in my study Bible but it's not. Maybe I read it in "The Case for Christ"? Anybody? Bueller?

I just did a quick Google search and apparently 1 Cor 15 has its own Wikipedia page. FWIW! It talks about what I mentioned above.

Oh! It was because Paul didn't change Peter's name, it indicates that he was reciting a creed that had developed not long after the resurrection, which is in line with the creed's statement of Jesus' appearance to the people mentioned [the "500" are only mentioned in these verses and not anywhere else in scripture]. That's why it was significant. Not because of the evolution of language, but the fact that he kept the creed true to its origin.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Bible Rss Feed  

of 11