Lower Shore Family YMCA
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 34s
Overall Rank = 112/300
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:30am, ate a bowl of cheerios, yogurt, skim milk with Ovaltine. Added air to the tires, loaded up the bike, then drove to Pocomoke.
Event warmup:

The swim was in a pond...swam out to the first buoy and back - felt better in a sleeveless wetsuit. Water was 76 degrees, so about half the people didn't use one. I'll take one anytime they allow it...ate a Hammer Gel pack 15 minutes before race start.
Swim
  • 12m 27s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

So much happier with my performance. Had a horrible swim at Nanticoke...started too fast, and 6 degrees difference in temperature is significant. I was able to relax and swim my own pace...for the first time, I did the whole swim without a need to sidestroke or backstroke. Happy day for a new swimmer!
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Faster in the wetsuit, but always a minute slower transitioning trying to take it off!
Bike
  • 45m 3s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to write a letter to the race director...the start of the race was through pretty sharp, rocky gravel...I thought to myself, holy cow, someone is going to get a flat. Sure enough, I saw 8 cyclists over the first two miles changing flats.

The first two miles was on a narrow shoulder, so if you were caught behind a slower cyclist, you had to jump the rumble strip. Thanks to someone's race report last year, I stayed to the left of the rumble strips until we turned off. Probably not the safest, but with all the cyclists, the cars were giving us a pretty wide birth.

I also find it difficult and time consuming to drink water from my cage. I slow down too much, and end up not drinking.

I bought a triathlon camelback, holds 50oz of fluid, and what a difference! Just stick the hose in your mouth, and no loss of RPMs. If your bike doesn't configure for the waterbottle between your aerobars like mine, I found the camelback nonintrusive. I also drank more water as a result, and was probably better hydrated than I normally am.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...very happy with my performance on my little road bike. Will a Tri bike make me that much faster?
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Run
  • 25m 34s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty happy with my time...heck, I don't even do 7:30s on a strictly run day, much less after a swim and bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for the awards presentation since I placed 2nd in my age group...the top two women were also in my age group, so that technically bumped me from 4th to 2nd. Heck, I'll take it. Ate a sandwich, fruit and a cookie, then jumped back on my bike and did the 14.5 mile loop again for additional training.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a Sprint "PR" for me...though I've only done four to date. I was very pleased overall...nothing like a fast course to take you well under 1:30 and boost your confidence.

Event comments:

Things the director should look at for next year: Only one person on the computer checking people in, which made for a very long wait...I waited 25 minutes, and I was one of the early ones. Also, a little annoyed they had already run out of small shirts. I thought I listed shirt size when I signed up. As mentioned previously, the gravel start was not a good idea, especially for those poor cyclists who got a flat, I'm sure from this patch of road. Overall though, the people who volunteered were wonderful. The event speaks very well of Pocomoke. I'll do this one next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:27 | 880 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 106/300
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless XTerra John
Course: They started in 5 waves...no swim cap provided, so good thing I brought one! I found myselft catching up and passing previous waves (since I was the last wave). Had to navigate around one poor guy as the lifeguard flotation device was thrown past me. He was O.K...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:03 | 14.5 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 125/300
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful 14.5 mile loop - some rolling hills - almost negligible - some wind, 8-10 mph, as always, on the eastern shore. It was reported one cyclist was attacked by a dog...this is why I carry pepper spray, especially in this area...you never know when a dog will run out of nowhere.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:34 | 03.5 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 114/300
Course: Flat, out and back on a side road. Though lined with trees, there was NO shade, so it was pretty warm. One water station at the halfway point.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-30 6:44 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Pocomoke Triathlon

2009-05-31 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2183525

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pocomoke Triathlon
Great job on the podium finish! Pocomoke is a great event, although I will admit I show up every year hoping that they've paved that parking lot. In all fairness, I know there was a pile of glass just after the first turn off of 113 that caught a few people as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pocomoke Triathlon Rss Feed