United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 4s
Overall Rank = 6/75
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

John and I planned to leave Smyrna at 4 but it ended up being like 4:45... got there in time to set up quickly and ran like half a mile before they closed transition.
Event warmup:

Swam a few hundred yards and got really nervous waiting for the women, the last wave to start
Swim
  • 18m 11s
  • 1012 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

RD said after the swim that it was at least 175 meters long and you could feel it! My goal was just to keep a steady pace the whole way and I felt a definite improvement from my other two ows. I was able to navigate through and around people more easily and sight better. Its hard to compare times because there was also a run up a big hill after the swim before you hit the transition mat, so I figure I could knock off a minute and a half or two to get a true picture of how my swimming is progressing. Not great .. but definitely better than a few months ago! I need to figure out the whole drafting deal but I am still terrified of getting kicked in the head!
What would you do differently?:

Just more time swimming ... hopefully will continue to improve
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

This was a pretty good transition... actually I don't know how it even took this long... haven't mastered the already clipped in shoes and the running start yet
Bike
  • 47m 10s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

So this course was Hard! It wasn't rollers so much as looongg gradual climbs and false flats. Also, the elevation profile made it look like the last five had some downhill but there was No long downhill. Obviously my weakest leg... definitely going to be working on this. It was Very cool to see so many ATC members at the turns and water stops.

Get a bike that fits and bike more. Not necessarily in that order
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Run
  • 19m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, this is the part that sucks and is awesome at the same time... The suck part.. is that there is, as of now, No Official record of the t2 and run splits, they are just mashed together. The awesome news is that I broke 20 on a 5k!! I have it in my garmin .... 19:47. Yeah!!! Now if they will just get the split thing worked out it can be official.

So, the run was hard too. There were lots of ATC volunteers at the water stops and the cheering was awesome! I also saw several other club members on the run. Jamal was my "Rabbit' and I was right behind him at the turnaround, which was running around a volunteer and a cone. Anyways, the volunteer high fived Jamal and was like " Good job" so I guessed I should high five too. Unfortunately, when the guy stepped out, I tripped right over his foot and did a faceplant. That sucked!

Anyways, after that I was doubly motivated to "pick it up" and was able to pass a few more girls en route to the finish.

Not try to be cute and high five and talk to people on the run. I don't know how I was able to talk anyways, it wasn't because of underexertion!
Post race
Warm down:

After the race we hung out in the ATC tent and cheered people on for a long time. Also, they gave out really cool trophies. I ended up being 1st AG, 6th Woman overall... it was my first triathlon trophy, so pretty cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to stay the course and keep on training!

Event comments:

Overall, a well run and great event. Great volunteers!!! The only minus was the timing snafu.

Last updated: 2009-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:11 | 1012 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 8/75
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:10 | 15 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 11/75
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:47 | 03.11 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 2/75
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-31 11:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-01 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2185392

User image

Smyrna
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon
Awesome race!  You are improving so quickly...can't wait to see how you place once we spend a little time on our bikes!
2009-06-01 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Holy crap! You are flat out moving. That swim split with a long run before hitting the mat? 19.08 avg on the bike and that was weak? WOW

Nothing to be said about that run. 19:47 is serious business. What makes it more serious is the face plant at breakpoint. If you had not do that, you would have been sub 19:30. WOW, just WOW!

Great race! Congrats on taking 1st AG position. Your speed is amazing.
2009-06-02 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Congrats on a good race.  Excellent run (nothing new for you).  The front end of the race is improving quickly while the run continues to be a strength.  Can't hope for more!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed