General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Dimas, California
United States
Tri Events
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 10m
Overall Rank = 289/295
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

I went into this race after having a colonoscopy on Tuesday (due to the WF stomach issues, but thankfully, nothing showed up on it!) and after a month of craziness, from Wildflower, to an 8 day stretch of working 10:00am-10:00pm, to not having a day off for a full month...so basically, I said, "I will show up at the start line, and whatever will be will be." With this attitude, I had the greatest time EVER. I wore my fabulous new outfit (as a graduation gift to myself, I got a custom outfit with my coach's company logo (which I lived by before I met him, and was the first thing that drew me to him) and most of my angels names written on the back - some are family, basically family, and some are people, like Jasha and Yanti, who I have never met, but have influenced my life as an athlete and inspired me in so many ways. Thank you both.

After a week of feeling really run down after the procedure, I had a lean beef burger and baked sweet potato fries, and a glass of wine for dinner. Went to sleep around 8:30 (though I got a wake-up call at around 9:00pm...) and woke up at 3:50, 30 minutes before my alarm. Got up, had my old breakfast of a smoothie with almond milk, peanut butter, agave nectar, cinnamon, vanilla, a dash of coffee, and a lot of ice, with a larabar and some salty crackers. (I just like salty crackers.) Drank about 2-3 cups of water in the three hours leading up to the race. When we got there, it took about 1 hour to check in (for a 300 person race - a wee bit disorganized, but hey, so am I!), set up transition, and hung out for a while with Colin. I really was relaxed and felt fine - I just wanted to have fun.
Event warmup:

I did about 20 jumping jacks and did plank for 1 minute. Took in a gel about 20 minutes before my wave start, with about 6 oz water. Got into my wetsuit, and got ready to roll!
Swim
  • 33m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim felt great. First time, I seeded myself in the middle of the pack, which really helped. I had people to pace myself off, and all of my ocean swimming is definitely paying off, as I felt comfortable, happy, and really great. I wasn't 100% sure of the course, so I was definitely following people, but I was right up in it - I am still hesitant to swim over people, so got swam over a bit myself, which is something I have to work out. However, I felt fast, clean, and strong in this swim - just want to keep getting faster!
What would you do differently?:

Stop being a wimp. Swim over people, stop being so damn polite - I don't blame the people who swam over me, and I am a fairly sensitive person, so I just have to do it! I wasted a lot of time trying to find clear water, which just doesn't happen when you aren't in the back.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

This is probably my best transition yet. Ran my ass off out of the water (well, walked for a few moments, but whatever), caught my breath while getting out of my wetsuit (I had sprayed trislide on the outside legs of the suit itself, a tip from my fabulous boss at sporteve) to help it slip off faster, and it worked like a charm. Helmet and sunglasses on, no worries. This was my first sockless and gloveless race, and it made a huge difference. Got in the bike shoes, started running with the bike, and away we go.

Practice, practice, practice - I'm sure there are shortcuts I could figure out if I took the time. However, this was definitely a great transition.
Bike
  • 2h 23m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 10.40 mile/hr
Comments:

According to my bike clock, my average pace was about 14.3, I believe. However, it's totally irrelevant. The first lap, I rocked. This was my first race almost entirely in aero, and I have been practicing a lot. It definitely paid off - I felt fantastic, only getting passed by the guys with the crazy tri-bikes and aero helmets. (Ok, and 1 or 2 people who looked like me...but really, only 1 or 2!) The only times I wasn't in aero was during the big descent and when I was eating (I should have stayed during the descent, but since this was also my first gloveless race, after a dear friend's recent wipe-out, I wasn't ready to risk the cuts from a fall) but even still, I hit 30 mph on the descents pushing as hard as I could. On the second lap, I zoom past one of the crazy aero-bike guys (!!) and I hear "BANG!" and I had a sinking feeling in my stomach, as I realized the bang was my rear tire. I wait till I'm out of the way of the riders, get off, get up on the sidewalk, and one of the aero-jackasses SCREAMS at me something about getting off the road...I wanted to show him the finger next to my ring, but I stayed calm. I felt like such a pro. I flipped Stella over, removed the rear tire, got the tire part of the way off (my tube was basically folded in over itself - a wee bit frightening!) checked to make sure nothing was in or on the tire (there wasn't, and this was about the 15th flat in three weeks, and I've gotten new tubes and tires...so I think it's time for new wheels!) replaced the tube, got the tire back on, checked to make sure the tube was tucked all the way in...and did this in about 3-4 minutes, which is really fast for me. I got out my (one-eek) spare cartridge, put in in the pump...and before I knew it, it had released all the CO2, but not into my tire. At this point, I was waving my arms, asking for help, for a spare cartridge, for anything, but no one did. For a solid 15 minutes. This was dissapointing, especially as if someone is stopped, I ALWAYS (this is one of my rules) slow down, and ask if they are ok. I am surprised that so few people, on such a small-town, inconsequential race, would do the same for me. However, finally, an official came along. He asked if there was anyone I could call (I am not sure, but this this may be against USAT rules, but this was an official asking, and I just needed to finish this damn race, and no one else was going to help me do it, and I just COULD NOT DNF) I called my boyfriend (IT WAS HIS BIRTHDAY, and he was there with bells on...what a beautiful man I am in love with!) who drove the car up with the floor pump. The official offered to carry my bike up the hill for me, which I knew was definitely against the rules, so I thanked him profusely, but declined. Colin came after about 15 minutes, I pumped up my tire, put it back on, and promptly lost my chain. After putting that back on (I was less slick with this than replacing the tube!!) I was back on the road - 40 minutes later. I did my best, and tried to make up some time, staying aero, passing a few people, etc. My legs were a bit sore by this point, from just stopping after working them hard. Unfortunately, because I was so far behind, they had opened up the road to traffic, and there were no officials there to help me, so I was basically suddenly on a training ride - had to follow red-lights, stop-signs, etc. Plus, the road was rather narrow, so I had to slow down significantly to not get hit by a car. My one error on the course was coming into transition - I saw the "slow down" signs and thought the transition was right there, but it was actually down a small hill, so I got off too soon and ran. Turns out, I had forgotten to restore my break tabs after the flat, so this was probably a good thing, or else that would have been a tricky (and possibly disqualifying) stop.

Carry two cartridges. Yes, Robert, I have learned my lesson. Get a better pump that is less finicky. Get new wheels. Be more aware of the quirks of a course. Besides this, I am so f***ing proud of myself, and so pleased with my performance, attitude, and professionalism, that that is basically all.
Transition 2
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

I came into T2 a bit embarrassed, as most people were packing up, etc. However, I ran in, racked the bike, took off my bike shoes, and started putting on my run-shoes. I sprayed on sunscreen, too - see, I learn my lessons, cough cough, Wildflower! The kid I was wracked next to had his first race ever today, so I asked him how it went. He asked me how it was going, and I said "I need a shaman or something to remove this bad race luck I have - this just kinds stinks!." Out of nowhere, an LA tri visored man comes, puts his hand on my head, and says "Lalalalala, bad race luck will be gone, lalalala...raise your left hand...bad luck, leave this woman!! Let her PR!! LALALALAL!! the bad luck is gone!" And he swiped his hand. I looked at him, and said "Thanks! Can I run now?' I LOVE the LA Tri club.

I probably wouldn't have chatted, but honestly, at this point, I needed the pick-me-up to get me through the run. The big thing I would have done, however, is put body-glide on my sockless feet, which I ALWAYS do, but it slipped my mind today. BIG whoops on that one.
Run
  • 1h 07m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I have a half-marathon next Sunday, and I knew this race was NOT going to be a PR, I took it pretty easy on the run. Also, while I didn't think of this as trying something new on race day, I realized that I hadn't done any bricks since being comfortable riding in aero - guess what, aero uses WAY different leg muscles. This was also the first race that I have ever hammered a bike course. My hamstrings were true "BRICKS!" It took a solid 2 miles to get comfortable...and then, at around mile 2.5, I feel a pain in the bottom middle of my foot. Thinking it's a rock, I take off my shoe, and see the start of a blister. Dang. I put my shoe back on, and channeling my inner Sam McGlone (or aparently Chrissie Wellington!) just kept running, and said "I'll deal with the blister later." Coming out of one road, I got lost, and there were no volunteers to show me where to go, but I flagged down a park ranger, and asked. He sent me on the right way. The run was meh, but at least I kept running, thanked every single volunteer, and the few people I passed on the run, cheered them on as I past. Sprinted, smiling, and happy to the finish line.

Run faster. Put body glide on my feet. Practice bricks after being in aero.
Post race
Warm down:

Spaghetti and meatballs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mechanical difficulties, not enough aero-bike/run bricks, blister.

Event comments:

A very sweet, campy race. Not particularly well organized, but very sweet, fun, and a great way to spend a Sunday morning. Definitely would do it again.

UPDATE: EVEN with the craziness with the tire, etc., I came in 3rd in my age group!!! This is the first time I podiumed! Dang, I really want my medal so badly. Also, if I hadn't had the tire issue, with my bike time, etc., I would have come in second with 8 minutes to spare. SWEET!

Last updated: 2009-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:37 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/295
Performance: Good
Suit: BlueSeventy Reaction
Course: A very awkward course in a flat reservoir - awkward because you first go out to a booey that is really near the surface, so the water was extremely shallow. Then, turn around the booey about 400 yards to another booey, than to a pier, and then back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:23:17 | 24.85 miles | 10.40 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: a three loop course of 8.3 miles. Starts with a "steep" climb (I didn't find it steep, but a few people wiped out by not having enough momentum - thank you, Robert, for the painful hilltraining this year - it's paid off ten-fold!) and then a really fun descent, flat for most, a 1 mile 'climb' (same as above) and a fabulous sweeping descent.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:07:48 | 06.21 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: A really beautiful run course, that goes first through the park, than up into a trail (I was surprised to find that the run was 1/2 trail - only a few technical moments, but still) that was absolutely gorgeous, shady, etc. - as if I were running through a forest, not a park) than out of this part, back onto the tram road, and into the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 7:04 PM

User image

New York, NY
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3

2009-06-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2200702

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3

Sorry to hear about all the craziness with your flat.  Definitely check out that rim, maybe you have a spoke protruding or something?  Anyway, way to hang in there and grind out a finish.  Kudos to your boyfriend for the on-call flat support, and sorry someone yelled at you.  It's a fun little race there, nothing fancy, but nice and low-key.  Enjoy the rest of your season!

2009-06-08 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2200702

Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3
I think you did great- you are a true trooper as my dad would say! Bonelli is always a little crazy but always fun (even for bad race days). Hope to see you out there in October for the BOD or Steamboat.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 Rss Feed