General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tag the world around : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-08 12:57 AM

Subject: Tag the world around : Official Thread

So is anyone else signing up for this race? 

learn more at http://www.starbulletin.com/features/20090407_Tagging_the_world.html?mobile=true

I'm reading up on it now, hope to see you all there.

Mike

2009-06-08 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2201157

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tag the world around : Official Thread
I wasn't able to find the race from that link, just the charity story. Did you find a direct link to the race site you could post?
2009-06-08 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2202212

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
I wasn't able to either but after some googling I found this.
2009-06-09 1:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks Michelle, your Googling skills are far superior to mine
2009-06-10 3:14 PM

User image

Kailua, Hi
Looks like it could be a fun race.
2009-06-10 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2208419

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
It does look fun but I'm going to have to wait and see...my birthday is the 21st and 1) I plan on doing the birthday challenge and 2) we usually go somewhere for it (like another state or in this years case, Island!)  With that being said, I'll keep it in the back of my mind!

2009-06-10 8:10 PM

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1746801&assetId=2DA9B81F-E9A3-4CDA-9C1F-37E413257AB4

Sorry I was away, here is the link for the Tag event, seems like a good event, locally led and partially closed race down Wakiki!  I found the race by using Active and searching Tag the world. Good luck.
2009-06-15 1:58 AM

So I found  a partial list of the celebs that will be at this event. Enjoy

JEREMY JACKSON (baywatch)
CHRIS HARRISON (host of the bachelor)                                       
LAIRD HAMILTON (pro-surfer)
GABBY REESE (pro-volleyball)
MIA HAMM (pro-soccer)
CLAYNE CRAWFORD (CSI)                  
AMBER VALLETTA  (supermodel)         
SEAN FARIS (never back down)           
RYAN EGGOLD (90210)                        
CAST OF DAY OUR LIVES                   
MICHAEL COUPON (scorpion king)     
  DARIN BROOKS (days)                        
ASHLEY TISDALE ( highschool musical)                                     
VALDERRAMA (that 70's show)                                                     
JESSIE CSINSAK (the bachelorette)      and  more..

2009-07-11 8:44 PM

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Guess I should have read this thread before I posted my question on the Tinman thread. I'm in. Just signed up today. Looks like fun and should be well supported with all of the celebs participating. I also had to laugh though. Notice that the start time is a little later, 8 a.m. instead of the normal ungodly hour we usually start at around here. I guess they had to make it more reasonable for the celebrities. LOL
2009-07-13 1:08 AM

New user

This race should be great and maybe a good photo op. I can now say I am addicted to this sport.
2009-07-27 1:49 PM

I think it would have been a better course if they shut down some of waikiki and had the bike leg go through the strip, especially since its supposed to be a celebrity race. Or they could have just extended the race a little further into kahala, the multiple laps of diamond head just sound boring. A run around diamond head would be good, with a swim at kaimana.

2009-08-20 11:57 PM

User image

Kailua, Hi
I just registered for this race.  Who all is running this this weekend?
2009-08-21 12:28 AM
in reply to: #2361674

User image

I had planned on doing this, but it's looking unlikely I'll even start unless the foot is feeling better in a day or two. I had a flare up of PF today after my long run even after stretching.
2009-08-22 12:49 AM
in reply to: #2361674

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
I'm running this weekend. My last tri for the season. I'll be out of town for Haleiwa in October.

My next real race after Sunday will be the Honolulu Marathon.
2009-08-23 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2363773

Alright, I spectated...

If you did this race... fess up... you had to be embarrassed by the cheerleaders and spray painted birds... =)
2009-08-23 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2365456

User image

Kailua, Hi

LOL... I was thinking to myself only a celebrity race, well they thought they were celebrities I didnt know any of them, could turn out like this.  the race itself was good though.  swim was nice and the bike was kinda challenging with the uphills and fast down hills, the run was more like a obstacle course through waikiki pedestrain traffic.... Oh did anyone see that guy who got a flat about an 8th of a mile from t2 so he took off his cycling shoes and ran the rest of the bike course??   that was me...i was so mad  still finished 3rd in my age group though.

2009-08-23 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2365484

lol. Yep, I was just to the right of the finish line. I saw you way back and pointed you out to like 5 different people. =)

I thought to myself "If only he had tubies... he could have ridden the flat." Did your feet feel sore? That wasn't exactly the smoothest asphalt right there. Then again, one of the first 10 finishers came in barefoot on the run.

A guy right before you with, a P2C if I remember... he didn't follow the advice of "watch the curb, lift up your bike"... AFTER he dismounted while running, he skidded his bike on the asphalt... then proceeded to bang the back tire against the curb so hard, the back end flew up, popped the tire, and broke his chain.
2009-08-23 9:56 PM

My buddy was the barefooted moron. His relay team won 1st with a 1:01::?? finish. All in all I prolly wont be doing this race next year. It was kinda lame. The swim was the only good thing about it. The bike got old after the first lap. Way to many people trying to go up hill then 3 minutes later all those people trying to go down hill. plus traffic was still let thru. I almost got hit by a car as I was going 35mph downhill trying to dodge some of the slower bikers that where 3 people across one lane of traffic, I saw a lot of random people just riding in the middle or to the left of the lame going slow as hell. I guess they could have emphasized stay to the right a little more with all the bikers on the road. Lucky I was quick out of the swim and only ran into a lot of people on the 3rd lap. And the run was ok, but like the person said before me, pedestrians crowded the side walks at some points. I found my self zig zagging a lot. I still had a great time. 
2009-08-24 1:55 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
It was an OK race. The pigeons were corny along with thecheerleaders too. They have the cheerleaders on the marathon course too though. The B-C list celebs was kinda a downer too. The big celeb list on the web page was no where near what actually showed up. I was looking forward to the athletes Mia Hamm and Laird Hamilton. There was like no food either. I was starving, especially after the later start. They ran out of cups, shirts and Gatorade. They director, John was the only guy running around and trying to get stuff done. They had great course volunteers, but no help in the finish area. He needed some help.  I might do this one again next year. I liked the swim and run course. Bike course was ok at first, but got clogged after two laps. Almost got hit by one car and almost hit another. 

Does anyone know where the results are and who did the photos? 
2009-08-24 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Sounds like it was a very interesting race. I can't wait to see your race reports.
2009-08-24 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2367165

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
The race results are at: http://www.pacificsportevents.com/Results.htm

I could echo many of the above comments about the race, but I'll save it for my race report.

2009-08-24 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2367165

"The B-C list celebs was kinda a downer too. The big celeb list on the web page was no where near what actually showed up."

Actually. I thought this was funny... my favorite celebrity at that triathlon was Henry Cusick who plays Desmond from LOST... he wasn't even listed and he kept his head down the whole time. I love his character... wonder what's up with that. Of course... he shows up at other small time TRIs here in Oahu and people seldom notice.

The character from LOST they did say would show up...  "Charlotte" is easily the most annoying character in all LOST history... so I purposely didn't look for her. =)

"The director, John was the only guy running around and trying to get stuff done. They had great course volunteers, but no help in the finish area. He needed some help."

If this is the middle aged haole guy with glasses that also ran the Honolulu Tri... well... I really can't blame anyone, but him. At the Honolulu Tri... NO ONE knew anything, except him. I was a volunteer and I was shocked that all the "bosses" didn't even know the course... it seemed that everything was just run through him. Just a thought...
2009-08-25 12:20 AM
in reply to: #2368271

Oh... and by the way:

I saw the MOST BEAUTIFUL bike I've EVER seen before at this triathlon. I seriously stared at this bike for about 10 minutes while the owner set-up his transition. Maybe he got the creeps, or maybe he noticed that further back was a better position... but after 10 minutes he moved his whole transition... and I followed. =)

Orbea Orca
Full Campy Super Record
60mm Bora Wheels with matching colors to frame.
Every component... spotless.

I would never ride a tri bike again.
2009-08-25 11:58 PM

User image

Kailua, Hi

No my feet were fine, I was so mad i really didnt even notice.  the thing that gave me a flat was i dodged a pothole and hit an aluminum can, it was crushed, weather worn and blended in with the road.  I had a tube but I was just close enough that it would have taken longer to change it than it would have been to run it.  The funny thing is that I had tubies on the day before but changed the wheels out for a better set of climbing wheels.  Oh well my legs were nice and warmed up for the run...no jelly legs for the first half mile.

Edited by chapman5410 2009-08-26 12:12 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tag the world around : Official Thread Rss Feed