Lake Mills Triathlon
54F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 59s
Overall Rank = 30/597
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/56
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my parents in Janesville, woke up early and Holly and I headed up to the event around 4:30am. Had a banana, and a cliff bar for breakfast and sipped on water during the ride up. Got a great parking spot, talked with loads of Donkeys, and also met up with my college friends, and my cousins. Jabraunski, was good enough to pick Holly up a McGriddle special on the way in, which was key for her to have enough fuel to take the 250+ pictures she shot (I will get them in the album when I get a chance - a bunch of donkey shots).
Event warmup:

With knowing so many people at this race (cousins, college friends, and donkeys), I did more time chatting and lost track of time. I did get in an 11' run warmup w/ 2 strides and did swim about 200m before the start.
Swim
  • 07m 8s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I kind of messed this up. How long have I been doing this and I still have to teach myself how to race every year? Seeded myself to the left front and took off like a rocket (mistake number 1). For some reason, I thought I could hold my all out 100m pace for the "short" 400m. With water in the goggle to boot. Sure, I was the first one to the buoy, but then I couldn't breath. So, I figured, I would do some backstroke and get the water out of my goggle to catch my breath. While doing this, I got passed, so I tried to catch the dude's feet. Again, I went way beyond threshold to do this (How many stupid mistakes can one make in a 6' swim - stay tuned). So, I caught him and hung with him awhile until I started to hyperventalate. Then my brain kicked in a bit and I let him go (found out after the race, that he missed his wave and was in wave 4. I know this b/c he ended up beating my overall by 3s and we talked about our races afterwards.

After I slowed down and got my HR back down to LT, I started to swim towards the boats instead of the mats. I miscalculated and kept with that line until about 50m in when I realized the other people I was laughing at were actually going the right way, and I was not.

Anyway, I got to the edge of the water in 6:20, which was 20s slower than last year, but I used up much more energy in the process.

I ended up with the fastest swim split in our age group, but it should have been much better.
What would you do differently?:

Start out slower, Start out Slower, Start out slower. I had to repeat this, so next time I actually will do that. I think with this being my first triathlon since IMWI '08, I got a little juiced up to kill it. Lake Mills: 1, Schmize: 0.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

T1 was OK. I actually had issues getting the wetsuit off (maybe an extra 5 sec than normal). I also put my helmet upside down with one of the holes over the aerobottle straw, thinking this would save time. Well, when I pulled it up, the straw went flying into the next row (probably another 5s). So, I definitely should have beat a minute. Even so, this was the 2nd fastest T1 in our AG, so I took some advantage of the free speed available.

Really yank the left leg of the suit. It ALWAYS gets stuck on timing chip, so I need to get after that. And put my aerohelmet on my seat like normal.
Bike
  • 41m 28s
  • 15.8 miles
  • 22.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I had the AG lead here for about 20 seconds of the bike. Since I did the shoes in the bike trick, I was playing around with the velcro on my shoes going up that first hill. Not smart, should have waited until I crested the hill and then put the shoes on....like the 2 guys that passed me going up. I knew one of them was in my AG, and had to assume the other was, as well. The one guy was a rocket ship, but I kept the gap pretty close (20-30s) between the second one, whom I called "tall dude".

I pedaled as hard as I could once my HR settled down. It had started to rain, and it was cold, especially on my knees and toes. Arms were OK, even though they were bare. I figured if I hammered, the extremities would warm up. Lots of traffic and turns to negotiate with wet, slick roads made for a bunch of slowing down and speeding back up. Hard to find a rhythm.

After about 5 miles, another dude with a fire jersey passed me. He wasn't going great, so I passed him back. I thought I had left him, but he must have been hanging on my wheel, b/c he passed me back. His AG wasn't on his calf, but figured he was in ours, so I decided to pass him once and for all on the next hill. I hammered up the hill and then just kept pressing. I had dropped him finally.

Hammered it all the way to the finish, feet out of shoes, and nice dismount to T2. I had actually caught tall dude, as he was having issues with the tongue of his racing flats and was sitting down in transition.

I definitely did not have my bike legs. I pushed hard, but there was nothing there. I have to guess this was fatigue from my anti-taper (240 miles in the 7 days before the race). The fact that my HR was 8 bpm less than last year's effort seems to verify that rationale. Should have been in the 235W+ range, methinks.

Therefore, a nice little taper would add to my overall speed in this split.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

This went well. I racked the bike, put on my shoes, grabbed the garmin/hat and was off (race number was already on for bike). My T2 was the 2nd fastest by 1 second in the AG. So, this is where I moved back into 2nd place in our division.

Nothing. I did stutter step, as I thought I must be forgetting something, but pressed on. Did not cost me any time.
Run
  • 20m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started out less than ideal. Firstly, as I was trying to get my Garmin on around my wrist, tall dude passed me....like I was standing still. I didn't even try to stay with him, as he was running like a gazelle (later found he ran 17:xx). So, now I knew I was 3rd AG, and had to do my best to hold that position. However, I could not feel my toes and most of my feet. I just kept turning over the legs, hoping they would warm up.

This wasn't horrible because it kept my pace relatively slow, so I didn't go out and blow myself up like I did on the swim. After the first mile, I started to get some feeling back, and by mile 1.5 after the water break, I really started to feel good (a first for the day). Turnover and form were great, and it felt like I was running downhill.

At this time, I see fire jersey dude and he is moving fast. And just when I thought I could put it on a fast cruise control, I needed to push it beyond uncomfortable. So, with 1.1 miles to go, I started to get into the lower 6s and get myself into the "I wanna puke" state. With about .5 miles to go, fire jersey dude passes me...but slowly. I get on his feet and we are running the same pace all the way to the hill. He actually surged down the hill and separated from me. I couldn't let him go, so I surged with everything, and actually got to his shoulder and he found another gear. Ended up finishing 3 seconds in front of me.

So, much for the podium...or so I thought.

Run splits (turned in a nice negative split..ideally, would like to see it a little more even):

1m: 7:01, 150ahr
2m: 6:48, 155ahr
3m: 6:25, 160ahr
  • 1m: 5:48, 162ahr

• What would you do differently?:

I would probably do a couple more bricks. I had only done one all year, and my legs felt like that was all I had done. The feet being cold sucked, but probably a blessing in disguise as I just kept getting faster.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Grabbed some water and fire jersey came over to congratulate me. Said, his goal was to pass me on the run after I dropped him on the bike. He said I really pushed him to the finish, as he could hear my footsteps and after the little hill to the street thought i was done. Surprised him when I ended up on his shoulder. He then explained to me that he went with our wave b/c he was late for his own wave. Nice. This meant that I would make it to the podium for 2 straight years at this event. Sometimes, you have to be lucky, rather than be good. Although, I do find the harder I train, the luckier I get ;)

Got on some warm clothes, and went back to cheer the rest of the athletes. Had a nice brunch with Holly and my cousins on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going out too fast in the swim. Can't win it there, but sure can eff up your race. The anti-taper (17 hours of training since Monday). And probably should have done a couple more bricks. Finally, the weather, but that was the same for all.

Event comments:

Great event. They really do a good job. Nice lake, nice shirt, nice breakfast burritio, orange, banana combo and good fluids after the race (Diet Dew - have never seen that before).

It would be nice if they kept the transition area locked down better. Too many people in that area, including non-athletes. Should make the finish line right on the beach before the sand, in the grassy area. Put up a fence/stands whatever.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-05 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:07:08 | 402 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
    Age Group: 1/56
    Overall: 36/597
    Performance: Bad
    Suit:
    Course: Half moon, counter clockwise swim.
    Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
    Water temp: 63F / 17C Current:
    200M Perf. Remainder:
    Breathing: Drafting:
    Waves: Navigation:
    Rounding:
    T1
    Time: 01:04
    Performance:
    Cap removal: Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
    Jump on bike:
    Getting up to speed:
    Biking
    00:41:28 | 15.8 miles | 22.86 mile/hr
    Age Group: 4/56
    Overall: 38/597
    Performance:
    Power: 213W, AHR: 147bpm, cad: 88rpm
    Wind:
    Course: Little rollers with a bunch of turns and a turnaround cone.
    Road:   Cadence:
    Turns: Cornering:
    Gear changes: Hills:
    Race pace: Drinks:
    T2
    Time: 00:47
    Overall:
    Riding w/ feet on shoes
    Jumping off bike
    Running with bike
    Racking bike
    Shoe and helmet removal
    Running
    00:20:34 | 03.11 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
    Age Group: 6/56
    Overall: 64/597
    Performance:
    See below.
    Course: Flat crushed limestone. Nice.
    Keeping cool Drinking
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall:
    Mental exertion [1-5]
    Physical exertion [1-5]
    Good race?
    Evaluation
    Course challenge
    Organized?
    Events on-time?
    Lots of volunteers?
    Plenty of drinks?
    Post race activities:
    Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
    2009-06-08 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
    NW Suburbs, Illinois
    Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2009-06-08 3:00 PM
    in reply to: #2202978

User image

Champion
    Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
    Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon
    Really nice job, especially after starting the swim off like you were Michael Phelps!  Kind of funny, your wetsuit got stuck and you were in T1 a minute, mine got stuck and it took me four.  Great race.
    2009-06-08 3:09 PM

User image

Master
    Madison, WI

Great job with that race! Hm...maybe picking out someone in front of you to beat is a good thing.... Sounds motivating!

2009-06-08 3:24 PM

User image

Champion
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    Way to gut out a race where you didn't have your "A" legs, Scott. Great to see you, too-- you've always got that winning smile working!
    2009-06-08 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Madison-ish, Wisconsin
    Awesome race!
    2009-06-08 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
    Madison, WI

Nicely done!

2009-06-08 4:33 PM

User image

Elite
    West Allis, Wisconsin

two hearts baby, two f'n hearts!!@!  GREAT JOB!!!

2009-06-08 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
    Oak Creek, WI
    great race scott... and nice meeting you there as well...

2009-06-08 5:20 PM

Iron Donkey
    , Wisconsin

Even you veteran, speedy peeps have some issues once in awhile.  That's encouraging to me.

2009-06-08 5:32 PM

User image

Master
    Elm Grove

Great Race Scott.  I was sure you were going to catch me on the run.  Congrats on the AG podium again this year.

2009-06-08 6:57 PM

User image

Master
    West Bend, WI

hmm.. I just read an article in triathlete mag that says " When you do a swim workout do you just jump in and do all out 100s....nope- so dont start your races that way" 

Great job- its fun to do well with no taper!

2009-06-08 7:16 PM

User image

Elite
    Madison, Wisconsin

Wow..you amaze me. Great race as always!!!

2009-06-08 7:26 PM

User image

Master
    Waukesha, WI

Good to see your smiling face and Holly's too.  Excellent race.  17 hours of training before hand...WOW!!!

2009-06-08 10:06 PM

User image

Master
    Muskego, WI

holy heck!! Can you imagine if you would learn how to taper???? Go for some altitude sickness on the podium next time!!!Seriously, love your -positibe (edit...positive) attitude, congrats on the hardware two years in a row!! going for a hat trick next year?

Edited by pjgrande 2009-06-08 10:07 PM
    2009-06-08 10:56 PM

User image

Veteran

What no taper for this race?  You doing an Ironman or something this year?

Sounds like everyone had the same swim experience this year.

Great job out there and a great start to hopefully a great season.

2009-06-09 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
    Muskego, WI

Sweet race and great report ya stud monkey.

2009-06-09 9:06 AM

User image

Regular
    Oak Park, Il

Great Scott! Race! er, Great race Scott!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed