HFP Racing
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 1s
Overall Rank = 208/239
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/21
Pre-race routine:

This being my first ever triathlon, I really don't have a "routine", but for posting sake: I left home at 3am and drove 3 hours for the race. Was second in transition so got a good spot.
Event warmup:

Walk around a little, was able to meet a few fellow BT'rs. Tested the water, stretched and did a short swim.
Swim
  • 18m 32s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off really well. Everything was going good up to the first turn. Pack in front of me STOPPED in order to make the turn. Second turn pretty much went the same. A quarter of the way through, a pack of 3 in front of stopped and began to breast stroke. I swam around them, losing time and energy, which soon caused a problem. I found myself continously going off course to the left, my breathing side, which took me inside the bouys, causing me to continously correct myself and spend more energy. By the time the swim was done I was tire and felt horrible about my performance, I wasn't even out of the water yet. Got out and ran up hill to T1.

Man it's nice to be finally posting a triathlon RR!
What would you do differently?:

Have more confidence in my swim and not start in the back. Need to practice more on sighting and technique so not to find myself constantly off course again.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Dead tired. Spent way too much energy on the swim. Too fast out, off course, excitement? Need more time in pool and open water. Had a lot of trouble getting lower half of wetsuit off. Some body glide would have helped.

Use all the tricks of the trade! Body glide etc.
Bike
  • 44m 17s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Needed the first mile just to catch my breath and get my heartrate down. I was able to get into a good rythom and began to pass a few people as I was getting passed at the same time. Ended up witha "pack group", we took turns passing each other through most of the course. The course was flat for 3/4 of the race and ended with two nice size hills. On the first downhill I hit 40mph, that was just awesome, never been that fast before, no hills to train on of the size around here. On the uphill I ran in the back, not literally, of a mountain biker who was almost at a complete stop. Yea, that sucked. Made my way up and got ready for the final hill. Got up to 38mph. The uphill wasn't as steap, but definately was longer. Tackled that ok, all the while being passed by a guy with Zipp disc wheels, I can still hear the sound those whells make, got passed by a lot of them! Made my way in back to T2.

Up the pace a bit. Was using this race as a way to get to know triathlon and didn't push to my potential.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Lock laces might help, but not concerned at this time. Got shoes and visor on, took a shot of water and off I went.

Nothing at this point.
Run
  • 39m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Let's just say that blisters really suck! Got some water and started off. Took about a mile to get my running legs working (not really a runner at this point, just started running 4 months ago, run Cleveland 10 at 10:43 pace- reference). At about 1.5 miles heals started burning bad, blisters, and they have already bust! started to walk and that didn't help one bit. By about the 2 mile mark may right heal was bleeding, and running was not comfortable at all. hit the 1.2 mile to go mark and had a mix of walk and run. Ran the final .5 in to the finish. Let's just say I was disappointed.

Not get blisters! Don't know when they started, bike or run, but it really impacted my run performance. I was hoping to finish the run in 33 min, but there's always the next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my heals repaired. Met up with the race director who also trained me since March. Talked a little and ate the post race spread. Got in the car for the 3 hour trek home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too worried about swim performance, and the blisters that developed. It was my first tri and was taking it all in as a learning experience. That it was!

Event comments:

Not sure what to expect, but it was a great time for me. The race sold out and many waited until race morning for their packets which caused about a 20 minute delay in the start.

Last updated: 2009-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:32 | 820 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 181/239
Performance:
Suit: Yes
Course: Rectangle that mirrored the shoreline.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:17 | 12.43 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 176/239
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rectangle of nearby area, two big hills at the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:03 | 03.11 miles | 12m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/21
Overall: 228/239
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and Back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Subject: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint

2009-06-08 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2203844

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint
Congrats on your first tri!!
2009-06-09 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Nice job getting that first race under your belt.  Long travel time!  I live in nearby Washington CH so this one is really good on my travel time.

2009-06-09 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
Well done out there TRIATHLETE! You lived through your first. Now you'll live for your second. Way to go!
I enjoyed meeting you before the race. We'll see you out there later this year.
2009-06-09 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Congratulations! Newbie no longer. I got a nasty toe blister from my half marathon in April. I did search on BT. I finally ended up using medical tape around my small toe when running so it just didn't re-open/deepen.

I don't think anyone enjoys their first tri open water swim. Hopefully you're starting to plot revenge at your next event.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed