Running Fit
31F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 9s
Overall Rank = 62/583
Age Group = 20-24 M
Age Group Rank = 5/17
Pre-race routine:

Erm...woke up late...because I was thinking I probably wouldnt go because of the snowing overnight. However, the ground looked reasonable and after I called a female friend, asking if she was going and she gave a BIG yes...there was NO way I could back out of it.

Breakfast: Peanut butter sandwich 45 minutes before the race with a protein shake.

Plain water on the 30 minute drive there.

Felt alittle intimidated at first. Alot of very PRO looking people. with cool running tights and nice running jackets etc. I was in a pair of track-pants and a $10 sweater with a beany ;)
Event warmup:

Warmup: Walking/jogging from the car to the registration tent and back. Would be better if the carpark had MORE lots. Parked quite far away.
Run
  • 1h 51m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out FAST and evidently slowed down alittle in the middle sections. It would have been better if I had scouted the course first. I didnt know how far I went so it was difficult to judge my effort.

I started late so I was playing "catch-up" all the way.
I passed ALOT of people, got passed by only 1 guy that was in shorts.

Skipped the first aid station and drank a cup of gatorade at the other 3.

Didnt fall which was good. Saw at least 4 people fell. And 2 that was ALREADY down on the ground. All looked okay though.

I ran up ALL but 2 upslopes. But I was still relatively fast on the 2 that I walked. I was walking up FASTER than a guy that was jogging up. I went down the downhills like a devil....I didnt see ANYONE dared to run down the slopes like I did. ;)

I think I pushed harder than MOST. My breathing was deep but I didnt notice the same about the others. Alot of people slowed down and took SMALL strides on the uphill which made things worse. I opened up my stride and overtook quite alot of people on the hills.

The hills were not as tough as I expected. My training runs had been on longer and more steady climbs, so the upslopes were managable. But the relentless ups and downs did take its toil.

Oh yah! I missed a turn too!! 30s RIGHT THERE!! :)

Interesting HR observations. Breathing became EXTREMELY laboured once my HR goes about 183....high 170s was still manageable.
What would you do differently?:

1) Chose a lighter top. My sweater was soaked with water and I'm pretty sure it added abit of weight on me.

2) Trail shoes would be nice.

3) Arrive earlier and run with faster people. It would have been good to have a fast person to pace off from.

4) Eat alittle earlier.

5) If I really wanted to race it, I should have toned down my workouts yesterday. The 4hr bike ride session yesterday took quite alot out of my quads. Was feeling it even before the race.

Post race
Warm down:

DIDN'T warm down at all!! IT WAS FREAKING COLD man...I was freezing immediately after I stopped!! WIND, RAIN, SNOW....yucks...

Checked out the results. Prizes were for top 5 in AG. The guy in 5th was about 4 minutes faster than ,e

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't intending to race this. So I didnt prepare adequately or taper. I also didnt know how far I was through the course. I slowed alittle down in the middle because I was afraid that there will be ALOT more to go.

I also had to slow down at a few chokepoints because the trail was narrow and I couldn't pass.

It would be good to also note the major UPSLOPES. I was also hesitant to push hard because I was afraid that there might be a GIANT hill at the end.

30s faster if I didnt miss that turn =p Had to backtrack. :(

I gave about 90% for the race. I could probably have pushed HARDER but I didnt due to the reasons above. Probably could have cut a few minutes off but not much more than that.

Last updated: 2005-04-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:51:09 | 13.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/583
Performance: Good
Average HR: 178 Max HR: 188
Course: Relentless climbs and descents. There was HARDLY any part where I could keep a steady pace. It was either going UP...or going DOWN. 1100 ft of ascent. Parts of the trail had some dense foilage and I was almost bending over to try and avoid the branches. The bridges were very icy and no one could run up. Everyone had to grap the sides and pull themselves up the bridge. Some fell too. The climbs are quite steep at certain points and 80% slowed to a jog or walk. The downhills were alittle sketchy with the rain and snow and I didnt see ANYONE hammer the downhills...other than me! :)
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-24 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Subject: Pinckney Trail Half Marathon

2005-04-24 1:53 PM
in reply to: #147274

User image

Regular
Harrisburg, PA
Subject: RE: Pinckney Trail Half Marathon
Great race, way to hang in there through some tough conditions. 
2005-04-24 2:44 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Charles YOU ROCK!  Damn good race, great time, and YOU HAVE TO LOVE HILLS (ok, just kidding on that).  And in the snow?  excellent. 

I hear you on the trail shoes.  If I ever do another trail race, i'm getting a pair! 

Great race!

2005-04-24 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Congratulations on a fast race Charles!!!

Sounds like the conditions were tough!

Look out IMCDA, here comes Charles!

Félix

2005-04-24 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Fromer was there in shorts?  Did he say 'hi' when he passed you?

Awesome race, Charles...that soooo reflects your strong training. I especially like the part about passing a lot of folks but only one passing you.  That shows what the CDA folks can expect in the way of a competitor in you...

I really do hope this gives you a boost in confidence and belief in your capability that'll carry through to seahorse and CDA.  You ARE strong, you ARE fast and congratulations for the *strong* effort!

2005-04-25 12:27 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: GREAT JOB CHARLES!
Wow, sounds like a pretty gruling race today--way to go on an excellent run! Aren't you glad you did it instead of sleeping in?! Hehe. And yeah, great job in spite of 4 hour bike yesterday! Today was more like a training run than a race for you!

2005-04-25 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Great race man...   congratulations..  sounds like you thad a good day passing people and feeling good about your running.   I bet all the fancy jackets and tights were jealous of your $10 beany... 
Goog job man and cheers....

Did they have hot apple cider or chocolate at the end?
2005-04-25 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Great race, AWESOME time, Charles.  I've ran in HELL before so I know what you were facing.  Plus, the weather was nasty, brutish... heh. 

I'm glad you had the motivation to shuck the blankets and make the trek to HELL as it seems like you truly enjoyed the race and experience.

COLLECTING HARWARE IS VERY COOL, NO?

2005-04-25 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

Thanks everyone!!!

Couldnt have come so far without all of your encouragements

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinckney Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed