General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-17 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Subject: Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU : Official Thread

Anyone hear anything about parking for this Sunday's race?

I keep waiting for them to send more detailed info but have seen nothing other than a few 'P's marked on the finish area map.

I'm wondering in particular whether we will be able to briefly park on/near Ohio Dr. while racking our bikes on Saturday.  I'm assuming I'll have to bite the bullet and pay to park somewhere near the Hyatt for the safety presentation and packet pickup, then head over to Ohio Dr. to rack my bike.  I don't want to have to park miles away from the transition area just to spend 10 minutes racking my bike.  It would also be nice to be able to park once, rack my bike and head over to the swim practice.

Thoughts? suggestions?

2009-06-18 5:42 AM
in reply to: #2223957

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU : Official Thread
I've been reading the website but it doesn't present the information very well.  They say you can park at the hotel and they have a shuttle to the transition areas but I'm not sure that you can take your bike that way.  I also haven't seen if you have to go back to T1 after the race to pick up stuff or will they transport everything to T2.  It should be interesting.

Ernie
2009-06-18 7:46 AM

Pro
yep,

all I know is that I hope to be back from my race to watch some of it

2009-06-18 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
They sent out another email yesterday which addressed (poorly) Saturday's logistical issues.  However, they still didn't address Sunday's issue regarding getting back to the transition area to pick up stuff after the race.  I assume that we have to go back (and they won't take our stuff over to us) because otherwise how will we pick up our bikes?  (assuming non-elites here who transition 1 and 2 in the same spot)  But - as you correctly pointed out, they mentioned nothing about whether the buses can handle bikes.  I think what I will do on race day is try to park somewhere on the street north of Constitution Ave near the Federal Reserve or in the vicinity.  That way I'm not too far from the transition area when I want to head home.

The parking they are offering for Saturday's bike racking and swim practice is about 3/4 mile from the transition area - just past the Jefferson Memorial, heading toward Hains Point.  Given we are all athletes and that we'll be riding our bikes there one way, it isn't all that bad - but it will take more time to walk back to the parking lot after we're done.

Those parking lots are, however, general use so we'll be fighting with tourists for spaces.  Also, they are not the easiest places in the world to find (I parked in them at the Cherry Blossom festival this year and got a bit lost on the way), but beware - it's very easy to take a wrong turn and wind up on the 14th St. bridge heading for Virginia with no way to turn around until you get there.   
2009-06-18 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

I'm almost positive we'll have to go back and get our stuff out of Transition, there's no way they'd transport it to us at the finish line. However I did email and they said they'll keep transition open till after the pro's race so I plan on leaving my bike/gear in there until almost 2pm when the women are done. From there just ride your bike back to the car, it'll do the legs good :-)

I'm just winging it and see what happens, hopefully getting to the hotel/transition early will help alleviate some of the traffic.

Shanks

2009-06-18 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
For some reason I thought there were two transition areas.  For the race I'll park around the mall and walk to the start.  I've done this for other races and it's not bad.  Not sure what I'll do on Saturday.

Ernie

2009-06-19 6:48 AM

User image

I sent an email to the organizers and the response stated that (1) we can bring our bikes on the shuttle from the hotel to the transition area on Saturday and (2) there will be no shuttles back to the transition area on Sunday- we will need to walk back to get our stuff out of transition and back to our cars.

I almost think it would be easier to park near the transition area on Saturday, lock the bike in the car, run to the hotel for the expo and packet pick-up, run back to the car and then get the bike out of the car to bring to transition instead of worrying about getting it from the hotel to transition (either by the bus or riding). Sunday it would be best to park closest to the start and transition area as possible so that the car is close after we get our stuff out of transition.

I still have to figure out where the best parking is near the transition area, but that seems like the best place to park both days now...
2009-06-19 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2228373

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Thanks for figuring that out re: the shuttle bus. 

You definitely have a point there about Saturday - Despite the fact that it will be a bit of a haul from the parking lot / spot to the hotel, at least we wouldn't have to park twice.  And whatever parking we would be able to find near the transition area on Saturday would be free as opposed to paying if you park at the hotel.  All assuming we can find parking within a mile of the transition area, however.

I'll have to think about that. 
2009-06-20 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
I'm heading downtown soon.  The weather both today and tomorrow should be interesting.  Looks like (knock on wood) the pavement will be dry tomorrow morning but it's expected to be windy.  Not too hot though - so I'm hopeful :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU : Official Thread Rss Feed