BuDu Racing
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 15s
Overall Rank = 16/213
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race super early, I carpooled with one of my friends which was nice since it was a ways away. Had a couple of cups of coffee and a breakfast cookie, plus a muscle milk light a couple of hours before the race.
Event warmup:

Ran for 10-15 minutes, then swam for about 10 minutes while the first two waves took off.
Swim
  • 07m 45s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started off to the left and didn't have any roughness in the crowd, headed straight to the buoy with no swimming off course like I've done lately! I don't know if I was fast but it seemed like I was done before I knew it. This lake was where I'd done my very first triathlon, and the water is "peat" filled so it is like swimming in dark coffee--can't really see anything at all. I felt much more confident than I was three years ago standing on that same shore!
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, as always! :) Draft.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I had pinned my race number to my tri suit, but I felt it rip while I was stretching in the water before the race, so I knew I had to remedy that in T1, which took a few extra seconds. Otherwise, it was pretty quick. I had forgotten my sunglasses but the woman next to me loaned me her husband's and I loaned her my spare goggles, so that worked out ok!

Perhaps get a race belt.
Bike
  • 45m 52s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

For the past couple of races, I have noted that I didn't push myself as hard as I could have on the bike. Today I pushed hard and felt great. I passed a ton of women, even lapped a couple! On the first lap I passed the 2 or 3 Athenas that were ahead of me and then focused on reeling in as many others as I could. The course had a lot of turns so that affected the overall speed, and a couple of hills, but nothing too serious. I think my first lap was faster by about 30 seconds or so, but am not sure since the timing mat was quite a ways from the dismount--we had to run the length of the transition area first.

More bike time! I was having fun doing this race as a true sprint, pushing myself to really go fast, knowing it would be over soon!
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

Yeah, this was fast. I zipped in and out super quick.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

On the run, I carried my Garmin to monitor my pace. I was around 7:30 on the flats, so that helped with the overall time. Lots of uphill on the course but I focused on keeping my cadence high and my shoulders back, and that helped me consistently pass other runners. I was only passed by one woman the entire run. Again, I was racing this as a sprint, pushing myself pretty darn hard the whole time. We were so lucky to have cool, overcast weather for this tri--it really helped with staying cool and fast.

Faster faster faster! Lose this pesky 25 pounds and then I'll be a true force to be reckoned with. More than now, if you can even believe that is possible. I know. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around and drank water, ate some stuff, chatted with other racers, cheered on finishers. Maybe I stretched my legs for about 6 seconds.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gravity!

Event comments:

Considering that I didn't know I was doing this race until yesterday...I am very happy with it!! It is definitely a PR for a sprint-distance. The race I did here in 2007 only had a 12 mile bike ride, and today's was 14, and my times are the same. Figure it out, I kicked it! It was really fun to go out hard and give it my all. Once again, BuDu racing put on a fantastic event. Next race, rock n roll half marathon on Saturday!!

Last updated: 2009-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:45 | 400 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 47/213
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot full
Course: Out to a buoy and back. They had an anchor stolen last night so they had modified the course this morning.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:52 | 14 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 20/213
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops with rolling hills through residential neighborhoods and roads that were not closed to traffic. It had dumped rain last night but the roads were dry this morning, fortunately!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:40 | 03.1 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 28/213
Course: One lap through residential streets and on a busy road, where the bikes were also coming by (not too many by this time). Pretty hilly. Mostly up--I remember that from 07 as well.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-20 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: 5 Mile Lake Womens' Triathlon

2009-06-20 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2230917

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: 5 Mile Lake Womens' Triathlon

I'll update with the official times once results are posted.

2009-06-20 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Me and Janet after the race.  Remind me not to wear that hat any more, ugh!!

wtf is with my face?  Ugh.  Anyway, with a new Athena friend, Lisa, who is a friend of Lynne's.

2009-06-20 5:16 PM

User image

You did fantastic Leslie!  And keep the hat, you look great in it, you are too critical of yourself my dear.  Super race!

2009-06-20 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Updated with official times/splits.  I was 16th overall!!  20th fastest bike split!

2009-06-20 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Leslie!!! Check out those super speedy times! Your run is so fast! (I am using so many exclamation points but they are so worth it!!!) You are becoming such an awesome athlete. I mean, you've been an awesome athlete for a long time, but yeesh, you're not kidding around these days. I can hardly wait to see what you do next weekend.

Major congratulations!

2009-06-22 8:56 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Nice job as always Mz L!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5 Mile Lake Womens' Triathlon Rss Feed