United States
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 37m
Overall Rank = 243/252
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 38/38
Pre-race routine:

Woek at 0430, quick shower. Ate about 2/3 serving of oatmeal, and 1 raisan english muffin. Loaded up the car and headed out at 0500am. Yahoo maps said it would take me just shy of 2 hours to get to race site.
Well I arrived at the race site at 0600am, hardly anyone was here, checked in quickly, set up transition, and returned to the truck to relax.
Event warmup:

Short bike ride and swim. Had one gel and about a half of a clif bar from 0600-0800hrs.

Spent most of my time looking at how long out the turn around bouy was, and saying to myself, "What did I get myself into".
Swim
  • 38m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did this Olympic distance for two reasons and two reasons only with one of them being the swim. Longest swim race was 1000yards. Standing on the shore, the last bouy looked so far out. Yes, it was mind playing with me again.
Overall, I was very happy with my swim. I felt relaxed and under control. At the first bouy I stopped, rolled over, and thought to myself, "What the hell am I doing, I cant do this". Just that quickly I roled back over and got into a nice steady stroke.

What would you do differently?:

Navigate the turns better. Found myself rounding the turns, and not hugging the bouys like I should.

Kick a bit more, in hopes of speeding up slightly.

Maybe even get in the middle of the pack at the start of the swim. I hung back until everybody else took off.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took my time, as a way to get my heart rate back down before the bike. Wanted to work on staying in my heart rate zones.

I wasnt out of breath like I had been in previous swims.

Maybe a bit more organized
Bike
  • 1h 32m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I noticed during my short warm up ride that I legs felt heavy and stiff. I'm guessing last weekends century ride was still effecting my legs. Maybe I shouldnt have planned my first Olympic the weekend after my first Century ride.

The second reason for doing this Olympic was to work on my nutrition. During the bike ride I had a total of 2 gels, 2 fig newmans, and about 2/3 of a profile design aero bar bottle (yeah I need to figure out how that is) of watered down Gatorade. I had it figured out that I needed about 275 calories for the bike.

I thought my food intake plan had gone as planned, but little did I know....

Spend more time on the bike. For this type of course needed more power workouts, I suppose.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Things felt good, was feeling confident that all was going as planned.
Run
  • 1h 22m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where the wheels fell off the bus. Normally I walk a short distance getting my legs back from biking, but today I felt good and took off on a slow jog. Probably not more than a 1/4 mile down the road, my stoamach became distended, bloated feeling, and some cramping. I ws then forced to a walk, and would then jog for a short distance then walk again. Eventually I was forced to a high paced walk as pain began to start.

This went on till about mile 5 when I began to job slowly with another guy, and things in my gut seemed to subside. My stomach seemed to begin to work again.

Figure out what my gut likes.
More bricks

Post race
Warm down:

Walk to the transition area, get my stuff and leave

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and my stomach

Event comments:

Great volunteers throughout the entire race.

Water and gatorade was warm at best.

Challenging bike course if your not used to hills.

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:04 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/38
Overall: 231/252
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Swim course was out, with a left turn and around the swim bouy back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:30 | 24.85 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/38
Overall: 0/252
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: How do I describe the bike course? Well how about, you were either going up a hill or going down. I found this course to be really hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:22:28 | 06.21 miles | 13m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/38
Overall: 0/252
Performance: Bad
Course: Was essentially an out and back through a camprground. For the most part was flat. Really nice course, lots of people out watching and clapping in the campground
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Johans Tri-Fest

2009-06-21 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2231657

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: Johans Tri-Fest

Way to tough it out on your first Oly and get to the finish line!!  It sounds like you found some stuff out today about nutrition that will help you in the future.  I have a feeling you will put it all together on your next one.  Good luck the rest of the season!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Johans Tri-Fest Rss Feed