United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 30s
Overall Rank = 42/50
Age Group = 40-49 F
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

I had planned this race as a tune-up before Rochester. Also, it was kind of a test to see if I remembered how to race without a HRM. My Polar is in for service and I doubt it will be back before next week. Instead, I was rocking the purple Wal-mart watch. My left ankle had been bothering me yesterday and I was a little hesitant about it, but still wanted to put in a solid run.

The alarm went off about 5:30 so I could get some food early enough to make my stomach happy. PBB bagel and 2 cups of coffee. Then we packed up the gear to swim afterwards and headed out.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the block to loosen the legs. I tried to stretch out that ankle a bit before the start just in case that would help. Not sure if it did or not.
Run
  • 1h 03m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Of course, I started out too fast. When I saw the first mile marker in around 9:30ish and the second around 19, I knew I would pay for it later. The next 2 miles were brutal. Really, I think the mile markers were not correct. Miles 3 and 4 seemed very long. Mile 5 seemed OK and then the rest seemed long. Part of what made this a tough run was the ground. Trails are not smooth and you have to pay attention to where the feet go. This was a new concept for me. Most of the time, I was by myself out there. Partly because it was a small field (around 50) and partly because I'm so slow. I think there were only 10 behind me at the finish. I tried to keep a steady pace and when I felt like I could go more, I sped up a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I think I paced it about right. I still felt OK at the end, but not so good that I was willing to run it again. I think my time on asphalt would have been about a minute faster, which is pretty close to my goal time of 62 min.
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretching and some water. More stretching and some Powerade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trail running is hard! I probably should try to get on the dirt more.

Event comments:

A decent small-town race. Nice stainless steel bottle for SWAG. They had tons of giveaways, but we didn't win a thing. Maybe the giveaway fairy is waiting for me at the next Gear West race.

21/28 all females

Last updated: 2009-06-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:30 | 06.21 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 42/50
Performance: Good
Course: Kind of an out and back. The first half mile was getting to the trail which turned out to be a dirt/grass/gravel trail. No worries, I knew this before we started.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Covered Bridge 5k/10k
No official data/placings yet.  Will edit when they are published.

Edited by rowdypaint 2009-06-21 10:57 AM

2009-06-23 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2231805

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Covered Bridge 5k/10k

Trail running is hard!  Definitely worth a minute or two.  Great race and it looks like you're in good shape for the next big one.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Covered Bridge 5k/10k Rss Feed