Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 24s
Overall Rank = 62/271
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Pre-race routine:

up at about 7, slept well. oatmeal for breakfast and out the door at about 8
Event warmup:

the announcer's watch was 5 minutes off from mine, called everyone out of the water as I was just entering... no warmup!
Swim
  • 13m 19s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

started in the front on the right hand side of the first wave. Kept a good pace for the first 150 or so yards, drafted off of a really huge, fast guy =)

I then noticed that I was heading straight for the buoy, I could see it clearly. Funny thing, everyone else was going out to the left. I kept going, figuring that I'd save some time by swimming a shorter distance. Turns out that I should have stayed on someone's feet!

Rounded the first buoy and drafted right across to the second. Feeling bad for riding this guy's toes for 100+ yards (and thinking I could make it by him easily) I exited the draft and started to go around him. Thing is, I had a pretty hard time of passing him, we went back and forth a few times for the remainder of the swim. I used some fresh muscles by flipping into backstroke for about 100m, which finally let me break free of the back and forth with my former draft.
What would you do differently?:

I used too much in the swim! I had the training yards but not all the intensity to complete this leg the way I want to. Gotta start doing VO2's and cruises again!
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

First tri with clipless pedals, I didn't practice! Too winded from the swim... embarrassing!

I 'lost' my race here. I didn't have the wind in me after my strongest leg! Not much I can do but prepare better next time.

Bike
  • 38m 15s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I removed my bike computer this year and have been using my garmin. I didn't race with my garmin, so I only knew one thing: go fast!

I passed a bunch of people coming up and out of the park. The first few miles flew by and felt good. My legs felt strong. The portion by the train tracks went well, although I was worried I wasn't going fast enough to average over 20 after I got through the hills.

First hill comes and as I'm downshifting my chain pops off! Ugh... just one of those days. Put it back on as half a dozen people flew by me, I probably lost 1-2 minutes total before I got back up to speed.

Second hill comes and I downshift gingerly and avoid the previous problem. I get to the top of the hill and there is a lady driving on the course! I yell something at her as I went by, she was braking erratically going down the hill... not a very safe situation.

Todd Caputo saw me coming down the hill and told my parents that I was flying =)

Not have a chain pop off! Otherwise was a great ride, would have been 20+mph and beaten my previous (personal) course record.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

got out of my bike shoes before dismounting, ran barefoot through the transition area. Tossed off the helmet and put on my shoes... took off

nothing =) maybe get up earlier to get a better transition spot.
Run
  • 23m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Nothing to do but run a 5k... I like this part of the race! I knew my year-over-year PR was out of the question at that point, so I might have backed off a little, but not much. My legs had that "you just busted it on the bike for 12 miles" feeling for the first mile, but were fine after that. I kept a good pace, just a little slower than my normal tempo pace kind of feeling, until I got back to Green Lake. Realizing that there wasn't a mile 2 marker, I picked it up for the remainder.

Coming into the finish, about half a mile out I got passed by a guy in my AG. I shouldn't feel guilty for being competitive in a race, but I had to beat him. I was really struggling to keep up with him, but I turned it on the last 200 yards and then the final 75 yards I pushed *really* hard to edge him out. I feel guilty beating someone in the last 10 seconds of an hour+ event, I really shouldn't though...

Fastest 5k in a tri so far, only 1 minute slower than my standalone 5k PR. Not bad at all!
Post race
Warm down:

walked a bit, chatted with the fans and cooled off. Had to leave before I had the chance to chase down Matt of Mike, had to remove a tick from a family member pronto...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

physically, I lacked the high intensity swim training. I've been letting the swimming slide too much, too many easy yards! I suspect the swim in 2009 was the same distance as it was in 2007, it must have been a little bit shorter in 2007 (or I drafted better, or something).

I didn't practice transitions, at all. Small mistake, big consequences!

Mentally, I allowed myself to be thrown off by the swim and psyched myself out of the rest of the race.

Losing my chain further hurt my performance =/ Can't have it all every time!

Event comments:

7th time I've done this race, 5th time solo. Great location and staff make it a super event. It sells out quickly, and that's why!

Last updated: 2009-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:19 | 875 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 32/271
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:15 | 12.43 miles | 19.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 86/271
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:45 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 78/271
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 12:58 PM

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Subject: 30th Annual YMCA Triathlon

2009-06-21 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2231924

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: 30th Annual YMCA Triathlon
great race, steve!

i love that run course.....beautiful...

love that bike, leg, too!

hopefully we can enjoy a beer together after the boilermaker!!

2009-06-22 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2231924

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Subject: RE: 30th Annual YMCA Triathlon
haha - you ever been to a boilermaker??

You and me and 30,000 of our friends will enjoy a beer together after the race =)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 30th Annual YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed