United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 35m 12s
Overall Rank = 2774/
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

Had a huge pasta dinner with Team in Training the night before. Prepared my transition bag the night before. Used a checklist and went over everything I needed multiple times. Since this was my first tri, I didn't want to leave anything out. The morning of the race I got up and had a power bar, gatorade, and plenty of water.
Event warmup:

Did an open water swim the day before to see how the conditions would be. Cut my arm by swimming too close to the bouy in the water, but overall I was fine. Later on Saturday, I biked a bit to make sure everything was in working order before I dropped my bike off at transition.
Swim
  • 46m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first major open water swim, other than the ones I did at Lake Lanier in Georgia. I was pretty nervous about it since swimming was my weakest discipline. I stayed in back of my division with the slower swimmers and headed out to the water. Started swimming taking my time and worry more on the quality of the swim, other than the speed. I wondered off the course quite a bit, and at one point I was heading out of the bay. Luckily a volunteer yelled at me that I was going the wrong way or I'd be heading to Cuba at this moment. Made the last turn and I could see the steps leading to the transition. I wasn't tired at all, so I looked straight ahead and started heading towards the steps. Of course, I started to go off course again. I eventually got back on track, and made it to the steps.
What would you do differently?:

Since this was my first tri, I know that I need to work on my swimming, and in particular breathing from both sides. That is something that I need to work on, but overall, I'm pleased with myself.
Transition 1
  • 07m 17s
Comments:

Didn't realize my transition took this long. I was particularly over cautious making sure I did everything correctly from wiping down feet to getting the helmet on properly. I'm not much of an eater on the bike, so I made sure that I chowed down on something when I was in transition.

I really need to work on this transition and that will take time and practice.
Bike
  • 1h 38m 6s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 15.17 mile/hr
Comments:

It was an alright bike ride for the most part. I did have a mechanical failure on the bike with my pedal coming off. My pedal was stuck to my shoe, and the pedal slipped off the stem that was attached to the crank. I was certainly not too happy about this especially that it happened around mile 15. I tried to fix it, but it was taking too much time and I didn't have the tools to fix it, so I just slipped the pedal back on the stem that was attached to the crank and made sure that I kept my foot steady or it would slip off again. I didn't hurt my bike speed too much.

This is the next discipline that I'm going to concentrate on. My biking is just OK, but I know that I their's a lot of room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

This transition went very fast for me. I knew what I needed to do for this, as it was going into the run which is what I'm most comfortable with.

I would basically just work and practice doing this transition.
Run
  • 1h 00m 2s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m  min/km
Comments:

The quads were a little sore coming out of transition. I like to run out a little faster from this transition because for me it helps me get to the proper pace that I'm comfortable with. Around mile 1 I was comfortable enough that I could keep the pace I wanted. I was shooting to run under 1 hour, but I was pretty close and I'm not disappointed by that.

I would like to do more bricks to get the legs more adjusted, but overall I was pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and gatorade, and did some carbo loading, aka Beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Event comments:

This was my first tri and I loved it and I believe that I might be addicted. I like the idea of challenging yourself with three diverse disciplines. All I can say now is that I will work hard to get the swimming, biking and transitions up to par. What's most surprising is that swimming was my second strongest at this race even though I was freaked out about the swim for months.

Last updated: 2005-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:16 | 1500 meters | 03m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sleeveless
Course: Triangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:38:06 | 24.8 miles | 15.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/16
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course was nice, flat and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:02 | 10 kms | 06m  min/km
Age Group: 6/16
Performance: Good
Course: The course was flat with a turnaround at mile 3
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-04-25 8:30 PM

Master
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2005-04-25 9:17 PM
in reply to: #147952

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Great job on your race.  Hope you had as much fun as I did.  It was an excellent race.  Take care -SMO
2005-04-25 9:32 PM
in reply to: #147952

, Alabama
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Sounds like a great first tri experience.  Sorry we missed you at the pasta party, but I think we missed a lot of BTers then who were also with TNT.

Nice job on all fronts.

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed