General Discussion Race Reports! » Flagstaff Barn Burner and Cross the Ranch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Flagstaff Barn Burner and Cross the Ranch - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
www.redrockco.com
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 10h 30m 55s
Overall Rank = 45/101
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to rain... was thinking this is not going to be fun. 100+ miles in rain. Well the rain wasn't as bad as it sounded on the tent but it was pretty muddy out. Camped out overnight with some good friends from Tribe.
Event warmup:

Tried to stay warm, bumped into Milton whilst dreading riding in the rain. Luckily the rain stopped about at the start of the race. I guess my warm up would be running to the start line for the Le Mans style start. Gun went off before I got there but I was in no hurry since I had a long day ahead of me.
Bike
  • 10h 30m 35s
  • 108 miles
  • 10.28 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a 4 loop course at high altitude just West of Flagstaff ranging from 7300 feet to around 8000 feet.

The first loop started out and because it had been raining there was mud flying everywhere. My bike was covered in mud really quickly and I had quite a bit on myself as well. I rode along well. It was pretty crazy at first. As we went along the roads gradually were dried out and the me lee continued. I gradually moved up through the field for a little bit and then we started descending some to the first long climb. The climb was greuling and lasted for a couple of miles. Then you start descending at a descent speed to some caution signs. As I turned down a sharp left turn it became a very rocky descent. My hands started to burn with pain right away and my biceps felt like they were going to pop out of my skin. When I got to the bottom, a rider by me says "I can't feel my hands." I exclaimed back "I sure can feel mine... like they are on fire!"

The course then went along some easier roads and then turned up the steepest section of the course. My front dérailleur was jammed from all of the mud keeping me from getting into the small ring. The hill was steep and then a short descent followed by some more climbing into a section with some Aspen trees followed by a fast descent with a few rocky spots.

As I neared the barn and the end of the first lap, Tribe Racing 4 man team rider Jake went by and we laid out a nice high five.

The second lap was a lot more settled down as the riders were spread out a little more and there wasn't a me lee feeling any more. I settled in to a nice pace. About 1/2 way through the first long climb section, I felt like I might get a slight cramp so I eased off and span in a higher gear. This helped out a lot. (oh... I got my dérailleur fixed at the barn so I had the small ring now)

I slowed some on the second lap but not too much. First lap was 2:21 and the second would be 2:34 but that also included the stop to get my dérailleur fixed and I grabbed a bottle of Heed/calorie mix while the Landis people fixed it.

On the third lap, I slowed some more... I think it was 2:51... I walked a couple of spots to keep the cramps from coming on and also stopped at the do it yourself aid station. I did feel better at the start of the 3rd loop than I did the 2nd loop. I rode with another rider for a good amount of this lap. We both stated that it was the get to feeling good for the final lap lap. I also got a little ballsier on the descents.

Then rolled around the 4th and final lap. I would go a little faster than the 3rd lap (2:43) and also felt pretty good when I left the barn area. I road for a little bit with 3 guys from Team Vitesse (pretty much teammates with we Tribe racing folk). They were moving a little faster than I felt good at and had started late... waiting out the rain. They were riding with some real good teamwork.

So the course wound on... I eased up a few times to keep the cramps away again on this lap. I was around the one guy I had ridden on and off with since the 2nd loop and another guy who I kept doing a yo-yo back and forth with... I would pass him on the climbs and he would pass me on the descents. Then after the rocky descent section, they both had gotten a little bit in front of me but I cruised on up and road along with the one guy again and we caught up to the yo-yo guy. I was feeling pretty good then and could start to feel the finish as there was about 5 miles left. I started spinning at a high rate in a slightly higher gear and put a little distance on those guys. As I made the left turn to the woods I think they could still see me but I attacked that last steep hilly section of the course. Grinding my way up it, I checked behind me and there was no one in sight. I then did the short descent and began the grind up to the aspens. Near the last part of the final climb, I saw another rider ahead and began spinning faster and passed him what seemed like a few pedal strokes before the descent. I was determined not to be caught in this descent after being passed by people all day in descents. I let any cautiousness go and flew down the more technical part and then pedaled as hard as I could and caught another guy I hadn't seen since the second loop about 1 mile before the finish. I said "hey man" as I went by and he jokingly said "you can't pass me now!" but I kept powering as hard as I could with everything I had left and finished the race with a big smile and a fist pump!
What would you do differently?:

More drinking and eating earlier in the race. I sometimes find myself playing catch up and even though I have gotten a little better at it, so the catch up is not as much, I do slow some because of it.

There was also a lot of wind throughout the day but there weren't too many opportunities to sit on wheels because most of the time I wanted to see what was coming at me. I could have probably done a lot more drafting in some of the sections.
Post race
Warm down:

They handed me a PBR in the barn as I crossed the finish. My friend Jake took my bike and we went and chilled at the Tribe camp.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of mountain biking skills. If I could get a bit better at descents and handling the terrain, I think I can get a good bit faster off road.

Event comments:

Redrock really put on a great race/festival. The camaraderie was great too with all of the Tribe Racing peeps that I camped and hung out with. There were some nice riders out on the course too. The course had its challenges and was a little more difficult than described but was a blast.

I am already looking forward to doing this again next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-19 12:00 AM
Biking
10:30:35 | 108 miles | 10.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 44/101
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Here is a description written by one of my friends... Mile 0 – 5 (Steady Climb) *This is a steady climb of about 450 vert feet no major Climbs just a steady 1%-4% Grade.. This is a great time to set your pace but do not over do it, 5 miles of steady low grade climbing will burn allot of energy for some of the bigger stuff later Mile 5 - 7.5 (Flats with one climb at the end) (Summit 8000ft) *This is the flattest part of the ride your going to be right around 8000ft, Make up some time here and push hard you will have one .5 mile 7% climb, Blow this up! Mile 7.5 - 12.5 (4 mile Down Hill Recovery) *You are going to be very tempted to hammer this down hill there is nothing overly hard about it, Just put it in the Big Ring and Spin into a nice a Recovery, you have almost 4 miles of Decent of 650 Ft (about a 3% to 8% Downgrade) Mile 12.5 – 14.5 (the 2 mile Climb) (Summit 7950) *This is why you just spent 4 miles of down hill to recover, most people are going to over cook the downhill and not recover for the up coming climb. You will laugh at them as you pass them cause you heart rate is all good and you are rested Just grind this one out and push it you have a another Long Decent at the summit Maximize this time, don’t back off!!! ** This is a great time to rehydrate and pop your supplements, you will need them for the last climb!! Mile 14.5 – 18.5 (1 mile of rollers and 3 miles of FAST Downhill) *RECOVER RECOVER RECOVER, Gravity will do all the work on this, LET IT!!! You have a 5 miles Climbing coming!! Mile 18.5 – 24.0 (Max Summit 8100) This is Grueling and long, get your water in the get go get focused and grind it out, you will have a 24% grade at one point just dig and do it! You are almost done! Its allot like South Mtn, the Summit looks like it will never come but its there just wait for it. Make sure you are grabbing water for the 2 mile finish! Mile 24.0 – 26.3 (Fast Downhill to the Finish) What ever you got put it down, if its raining this section is going to suck!! Be ready for either very dusty or very muddy! Just drop the hammer!!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-23 12:44 AM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Flagstaff Barn Burner and Cross the Ranch

2009-06-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2236000

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Subject: RE: Flagstaff Barn Burner and Cross the Ranch

Told you, you would have fun doing this ride...  Great report...  Next time I ride with you...

2009-06-24 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Damn Andy, you did an awesome job out there!  It sounds like a VERY tough event.  If those hills killed you, it wasn't easy that's for sure.

Great job out there!

2009-06-25 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Alright, bringing home the Pardner Buckle. Sounds like a blast, might have to do this one next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flagstaff Barn Burner and Cross the Ranch Rss Feed