General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 15s
Overall Rank = 544/1921
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 40/184
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15. Had coffee and english muffin w/ pb, honey & banana. Shower & dress. Double check gear. Pump tires. Drop off the kids a couple of times and head out just before 5:30.
Parked near Belmont Plateau, walked down to transition, got set up, hit the porta potty (last kid droppage), scoped out the ins and outs, and got in line for the bus. Luckily the line started moving right away.
Event warmup:

Some light jogging while waiting 45 minutes. Put wetsuit on at the 15 min mark. I missed having my wife there to zip me up but she was back near transition.
Swim
  • 26m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started a bit to the back and side so didn't get in the churn but did pass a few people. Had to rest a few seconds here and there to get breathing under control. I'd prefer a good warm up but since my AG always starts so late I don't get decent time in the water close to my wave start. I don't see the benefit of a swim warm up and hour before my start. Passed some from my wave, some from the previous wave and only saw one from the wave after me pass me. Best time for the distance but had the current with me.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS training with wetsuit. The pool is great but I need non-stop work.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Long distance from water exit to bike, then long from rack to mount. Suit off good, glasses helmet on good, ran out good, Got onto bike with feet on top good, shoes on wrong pedals!! Doh! Had to stop and fix them. Live and learn :)

make sure shoes are on right pedals
Bike
  • 1h 15m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really good on the bike. Rode the course a few times in prep and that paid off. Lost some time due to crowding and other riders not keeping right. Could have pushed harder on the uphills on the second loop. Used the granny front ring on the triple 2x on the 2nd loop.

Drank more water than gatorade and ate one Clif shot. Didn't feel thirsty or hungry but made sure I took in fluids and calories

Not use the small front ring, pass more aggressively, maybe yell at people who were blocking

Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Had to force my way past some slower folks who wanted to go slow in the middle of a tight area. Long distance from dismount to bike rack.Racked bike, helmet off, socks on, shoes on, slug of water, out to the run. Used powder in shoes and sock. Feet still a bit tender from Thursday night.

Working on sockless for up to Oly distance.
Run
  • 49m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Could have gone faster I suppose but I felt pretty good. Walked a few steps through some water stations. Felt slightly crampy here and there. Burped and farted a few times. Thought for 1/2 a second that I might puke. Need to dial in fluid/nutrition better.

run harder
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, ate

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Have had some congestion the last few days. Took antihistamine and decongestant a couple of times. Didn't sleep real well Saturday night. Felt a bit speedy from a 24 hour non drowsy Claritan type thing I took Sat am.
Felt a bit crampy and gassy on the run. Last race too. Must figure this out. I am wondering if it has anything to do with eating a Clif shot before the swim.

Event comments:

I did the sprint last year, moved up to the Oly thins year. It's close to home a a nice course. A bit pricey, but I like it.

Last updated: 2009-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/184
Overall: 1149/1921
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultra Full
Course: Straight shot downstream, then a slight right J across the river to exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:43 | 24.85 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Overall: 588/1921
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops. Short, steep hills, lots of flat in between and some nice downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:50 | 06.21 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 545/1921
Performance: Average
Course: Flat, some grassy sections behind transition. Mostly shaded, but the sunny sections were very sunny
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race

2009-06-29 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2249759

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race
Nice race!

I still race these with socks too. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race Rss Feed