AA Sports, Ltd.
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 08m 15s
Overall Rank = 194/433
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 37/64
Pre-race routine:

I carbo loaded every meal for the 3 days leading up to this race, carried a water bottle with me everywhere I went, avoided extra protiens, fat, and fiber. The day before the event I was well hydrated!

Here's where I went wrong...

Breakfast: Medium Coffee, a handfull of cherios, a handfull of puffed rice snacks. Probably 200 calories.

Prior to swim: One redbull.

Event warmup:

Swam about 300 yards just to get used to the water temp and calm my nerves.

Swim
  • 42m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first 1500 meters were perfect! In fact I remember smiling from ear to ear when I was close to the last bouy because I felt great!!

After I rounded the last bouy I sighted on something that turned out to not be the Redbull finish arch....damnit!!! Took me way off course and I kicked hard getting back on coarse!!
What would you do differently?:

Definately would have helped to have tinted goggles for this swim.

Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Good transition time considering we had to put all of our belingings into a plastic bag for the race volunteers.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 55s
  • 58 miles
  • 20.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Started strong! Felt great! My goal time was under 2:45 with ultimate goal of 2:30. Until mile 36 I was on target for a great bike split... thats when it felt like both tires were flat and both brakes were rubbing the wheels... I know that feeling...I completely BONKED!! The summit of the climb was 2 miles away. I knew if I suffered another 2 miles I could recover on the way down to T2. It took everything I had to reach the summit. I was passed by quite a few people while I was in my own world of suffering.

The last 2 miles of the climb had to have taken 20 minutes. A few racers shouted encouragement as they rode past me, I couldnt go any faster if a big black bear was chasing me.

Finally, I made it to the summit!!

For the first few miles I coasted as I drank my electrolite drink and ate a few gels. I then picked up the pace and started picking off the racers that must have passed me while I was inside the wall that I hit at mile 36. Half way down the descent I started to feel good so I pushed the pace again and reeled in a few more racers on the way to T2.

Eat more for breakfast on longer events!!!! Take in more gels each hour...I only ate one Rocktane every 30 minutes.

I burned just under 4k calories during the ride alone!

Drink more water the morning of the race and on the bike!! I was peeing at least once an hour the day before the race and was well hydrated prior to the start.

I feel like I could have held my strong pace through the entire ride had I fueled propperly.

Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Took a little longer for T2 cuz I put on socks and went for a tinkle before I started the run

Put any fluids I want to take on the run in an ice chest for this race. My water was hot coming out of my belt bottles...nasty!

Run
  • 2h 32m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started great. I was keeping my pace at just under 8 min/mile (goal pace) and I felt great!!

At about mile 2 or 3 the wheels came completely off!! Everything just shut down! At that point I began the "Death March".

I would run about 200 yards and then walk and run a few steps and then walk, stop and talk to myself (mostly cuss words and "COME ON!"), run, walk, see the water station ahead, think about running to it, walk, jog, stop at the water station, dump 2 waters over my head, drink one electrolite drink....repeat for 11 more miles.

I forget when, but, during one long stretch between water breaks I even called out a marching cadence in my head...left...left...left, right, left (you know the one)...I used every mental trick to keep my body moving towards the finish line.

At one point I seriously thought I was hallucinating...Along the running path there were 10 hot chicks in bikinis standing in a cold river drinking beers....it turned out to be real and I was in no state to do anything about it!

At the end I was able to run the last 1/4 mile through the crowds of people. Zoe and Zed were there at the end and ran with me for the last 100 yards...that made the entire "Death March" worth every step!!

Nothing...I survived, there's only one other alternative and that wasn't a choice!
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished and sat down in the athlete feed zone I felt dizzy, naucious, and faint. I asked Zoe to get me some food and asked Zed to get the medic.

The medics walked me into the med tent, took my vitals, and gave me oxygen. My blood pressure was low and I was suffering mild heat stroke and dehydration.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

FOOD, FOOD, WATER, WATER, ummmm, WATER!!!

Time to figure out my nutrition plan for longer events!

Endurance races will not let you hide any weakness. It will find it, expose it, and exploit it!!

Event comments:

I had some lofty goals for this race and some fast predicted splits. My goal was to finish in under 5 hours, and I would have been stoked with any time under 5:30. For some reason I'm not dissapointed to finish in over 6 hours because I suffered so much just to complete the race.

I have bonked before...but not like this...and definately not twice in one race!! I had to dig deeper than I have ever gone to complete this race. I felt every emotion along the way.

There is no way I even considered quitting the entire time! It just wasn't an option!

I knew that Zoe and Zed were at the finish line waiting to see their dad finish...I thought about that the entire time I was on the run course!

Last updated: 2009-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:55 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 34/64
Overall: 296/433
Performance: Average
Suit: full wet suit
Course: Participants will make one clockwise, diamond shaped loop in crystal clear Wickiup Reservoir, surrounded by the tranquil beauty of green forests and majestic mountains. Each leg of the diamond is approximately 0.30 miles and there are 3 total turns.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:48:55 | 58 miles | 20.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/64
Overall: 59/433
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: A scenic point-to-point course that travels over gently rolling hills prior to three hard climbs as you make your way around Mt. Bachelor. Cyclists leave the transition zone and ride for approximately 3.15 miles and turn (left) onto FS Hwy 42. You will travel another 4.55 miles crossing the Deschutes River then turning right onto FS Hwy 46 (the Cascades Lakes Hwy). It's now another 32.8 miles before making your next turn (right) onto FS Hwy 45. Within this section there will be long stretches of flat to gently rolling hills followed by three challenging climbs. It culminates with a 2.5-mile steep decline to the intersection of FS Hwys. 45 & 46. The decline flattens out considerably after making the turn onto FS Hwy 45, but continues for another 10 miles or so. After turning left onto FS Hwy 40 at about the 51.9-mile mark it is relatively flat the final 4.4 miles. ELEVATIONS: The first climb begins just past Elk Lake resort, approximately 27 miles into the bike. Just north of Elk Lake you will begin to climb for approximately 650 ft, passing Devils Lake before reaching a flat spot, then climb again to Todd Lake (elev. 6,150 ft). You will experience another flat spot, at about the 35-mile mark, before the final climb to the entrance of Mt. Bachelor (6,500 ft, about 38 miles into the ride). You will then enjoy a 14 mile + downhill ride, the first 2.5 miles being steep with a sharp 90 degree turn onto FS Hwy 45
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:32:21 | 13.1 miles | 11m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/64
Overall: 319/433
Performance: Bad
Course: A mostly flat loop course on widely paved bike paths that traverse through and around this beautiful and scenic destination resort (two hills total with a minimal elevation gain).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 9:21 PM

User image

Subject: Pacific Crest Half Iron Triathlon

2009-06-30 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2252027

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Half Iron Triathlon
nice race, those climbs were pretty brutal, still you had a great ride, breaking 5 on that course would have been very impressive

and im with ya, i thought the bikini gals were a mirage too
2009-06-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2252027

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Half Iron Triathlon
Way to go - it was a crazy hard day out there and the run was indeed a death march. The payoff of the beauty of the bike ride does make it seem worth it though

Congrats on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed