City of O'Fallon
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 13m 25s
Overall Rank = 86/90
Age Group = 40-49F
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Just the normal - PBJ on wheat bread and some Gatorade on the way over to the race.
Event warmup:

Trying to stay out of the rain and wind as long as possible.
Run
  • 1h 13m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew it was probably going to be raining for this race. The forecast had been predicting it for several days, so it was just going to be a matter of how hard it was raining and what the temp would be. Turned out to not be too bad. The temp was around 70* so even with the rain I didn't get chilled (except for the 10 min I stood around before the race started). Since there was no lightning, the race started off on time. It rained the whole time, but wasn't a heavy rain, just a steady one. Once I got used to it, I didn't even really notice it that much. I've definitely run through worse (Lewis & Clark half last Sept) so this wasn't really a new experience.

I've been having some issues with my right leg and my back so I didn't know if I was going to finish the whole 10k. Since it was 2 loops of the 5k and because of the way the course was laid out, I had 3 opportunities to stop if I felt like I needed to. As it turned out, my back didn't bother me at all and the leg only gave me a couple of twinges. I decided to stick with a run/walk since I hadn't run more than 3 miles at a time for at least 4 weeks and 2 of those weeks were only 3-4 miles total. It worked well. I made it through the first loop in a little over 37 minutes and started on the second loop. There were only a couple of people behind me doing the 10k - a lot more people were doing the 5k than the 10k - but I was feeling good and wanted to do the whole thing, even if I came in last.

As I started on the second loop, I picked out 2 guys who were about 1/2 mile ahead of me and decided to see if I could catch them before the end. I finally caught up to the one in the red shirt about 20 yards before the finish line. As I caught up to him, I told him it had taken me 3 miles to catch him. He let me go ahead of him across the finish line and came in right behind me. I was surprised to see the time. I figured that with the rain and everything else, it wouldn't be a good race for me time-wise. As it turned out, I came within 1 minute of setting a new PR and ended up with a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited a little while to get my official time, had a water and an apple. Then home to get dry and warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury issues and not being able to run much the last couple of weeks.

Last updated: 2009-06-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:13:25 | 06.21 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 86/90
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat. Two loops of the 5k course - an out and back, then a loop through a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-05 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: O'Fallon Firecracker 10k

2009-07-09 12:00 AM
in reply to: #2262857

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: O'Fallon Firecracker 10k
Nice race!  I was there too; we were visiting family in the area.  My shoes are finally dry.  That was crazy rain, but a fast/flat course. 
2009-07-09 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2272016

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: O'Fallon Firecracker 10k
Great Job Janet!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » O'Fallon Firecracker 10k Rss Feed