Australia
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 06m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Left the hotel with breakfast in hand and walked to the Cavil Ave intersection where the bus was waiting to shuttle people to the race start. I had planned to get to the race start well early as I'd heard last year the service was a bit of a shambles.

No problems at all. Got to the race start, saw the 10km runners take off, ate my roll, drank juice, went to the bathroom and seeded myself at the 4:45-5:00 time zone.
Run
  • 5h 06m 15s
  • 42.16 kms
  • 07m 16s  min/km
Comments:

Anyone who's read my training log over the last month knows I wasn't really up for this marathon. I've struggled to train in the cold wet windy Melbourne weather that's been dished up.

Getting to the Gold Coast was a pleasant surprise. I know what it's like not to be freezing cold again!

The day was beautiful and I still cannot believe how much I enjoyed the experience. It almost makes me want to run it again, even though I swore I was retiring from running, or running marathons at least.

The first 5km were slow. Even for me. I'm know sure if it was because there were lots of people, because I was trying to keep my HR down or because I'd taken the advice of a guy in the line behind me at registration who said start out much slower than you think you should.

At about 10km I'd fallen into stride with a guy running the same pace. I really liked this part of the race, it was then that we caught a glimpse of the marathon leaders, who had already reached the turnaround. That was pretty phenomenal. Their pace particularly!

I'm not sure my partner and I exchanged words until the 15km turn around in Burleigh heads. But it was good to have the company.

When I passed through the half marathon mark, I knew I was going to be lucky to run a sub 5 marathon. But I wasn't disappointed, I was just waiting for the hurt to begin so I could deal with it.

At 25km we were almost back in surfers paradise and I ran passed Mr T, who had come down to give me a big cheer. That was at about three hours, I had to laugh when he said see you in a couple of hours.

At this stage my running partner couldn't keep up any longer and I was out on my own. I had to take the run in 5km bites. Just get to 30kms, that took me back to the start at Southport. It was hard seeing people finish, knowing I still had over an hour to run. I got a big cheer from the assistant coach at my Tri club. He asked me how I was going, slow I replied. As long as it's steady he said. Steady. One foot in front of the other. I knew I could run 32km without walking, that's how far I'd got in training so I was determined to get to there. I think I did.

37km onwards was running/hobbling. Something in the back of my right knee kept seizing, it got to the point where I was almost having to run with a straight leg. So I'd stop, ease my leg out a bit and keep going for as long as I could before it seized again. I was passing a fair few people at this stage.

Such relief when I got to 40km. I'm actually going to finish! At about the 41km mark I got a huge cheer from the tri club, at 42km Mr T was cheering me on and I nearly cried knowing I still had 0.2km to go! But I finished strong, or as strong as I could at that stage.

And then the relief of not running came. I limped through, gave my timing chip back, got some water, got my T-shirt and gave Mr T a big salty hug. 42km done and dusted. Kind of.

What would you do differently?:

Not lose focus a month out of the run. I really ran to the best of my ability and fitness level.
Post race
Warm down:

Unfortunately the organisers had run out of fruit for the slow finishers. Thankfully Mr T had packed a bar of nougat and I scoffed that down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ain't no natural born runner.

Event comments:

This event has it all - the option of 5, 10, 21.1 & 42.2km. The weather's warm, the course is flat and scenic and there's entertainment, crowd support and enough water stations. There's a heap of internationals, interstaters and locals competing, I loved the atmosphere and the friendliness of everyone. It's very tempting to make a marathon come back for this!

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
05:06:15 | 42.16 kms | 07m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-06 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Gold Coast Airport Marathon

2009-07-06 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2266118

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Gold Coast Airport Marathon
Congratulatons!  Finishing a marathon is always a difficult task. I envy you for being able to run that marathon, the course is spectacular and seems like the weather was fine too. Good on ya!
2009-07-07 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2266118

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Gold Coast Airport Marathon

Well done! What a fantastic race, I'm so glad you enjoyed it especially considering your motivation struggles in the past few months. It sounds like an awesome and fun race, I like the sound of flat and sunny, it almost makes me want to consider doing one LOL!!!! Enjoy your recovery time and best of luck for the next one in October! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gold Coast Airport Marathon Rss Feed