General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks John Tanner Sucked So I Did My Own! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks John Tanner Sucked So I Did My Own! - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 20s
Overall Rank = 1/1
Age Group = 26
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Carb loaded & tapered. Got up early.
Event warmup:

It was more like an event freeze-up. I stood around and waiting for the f-ing people to call the race like was reasonable considering that there were lines of thunderstorms pissing on us. Instead, they drew it out so they could justify not refunding our money.

In the end, they made it a 5k mud splash that I declined to join. I'm not ruining a $90 pair of shoes for a $60 5k. Also, I was already soaked and shaking so bad I looked like I was having delerium tremens, which was possible considering I didn't have my nightly beer last night. So, the more prudent of us turned in our chips and went home while the gluttons for punishment (and wealthy mo-fos who could afford to buy a new pair of running shoes) forged onward into the muck. I went home, got reorganized, ate a Cola Buzz Cliff gel, which sucked, and headed to the gym.
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a nice, fast pool swim. I started a little fast and tire a bit at the end, but I'm thrilled with my overall time. I'm also thrilled to find out that I don't need to wear earplugs when I'm wearing a latex swim cap.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Pool swimming is lovely. I suppose if I did it for a real race I'd learn how to do a flip turn.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

I had to take some extra time to dry off so as not to offend the other gym monkeys. As I mentioned before, I was already graffitied pretty well so further strangeness in my appearance (like being absolutely sopping wet) would not have been particularly welcome. But, I didn't have to worry about clipping in!

Run to the stationary bike screaming, "I'm not crazy -- I'm a triathlete!"
Bike
  • 33m
  • 11.2 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Ate a strawberry-banana power gel and really liked it. The chick next to me looked at me funny and then started singing along to her walkman. ACK! At least I got to watch a little M*A*S*H on the tv.

Ride a real f$#%ing bike. But then again, it would be difficult picking up speed while navigating around all the weight machines and dummbell jockeys.
Transition 2
  • 00m 20s
Comments:

Just a short dash over to the dreadmill.

Push people violently out of the way yelling "Move out of the way -- I'm a triathlete!"
Run
  • 27m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I scouted the a treadmill that was situated in front of a fan. I thought the treadmill might be broken since I didn't see anyone on it, but took the chance anyway. What luck! It was working fine AND I could see M*A*S*H on the tv to my left and the news on the tv to my right.

Inform the people on the treadmills to my left and right that I'm finishing up my triathlon and they need to cheer me on to the finish when I tell them I've reached the last .1 of a mile. I definitely missed the support of my fans.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for 2.5 min more on the dreadmill, put my shit in my bag & went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trying not to look crazy in the gym.

Event comments:

I don't think I will ever sign up for the John Tanner State Park race again. April 30th is just TOO EARLY in the year in GA for a lake race. Had the weather been nicer, it would have likely been colder in the morning (no clouds to hold the heat in) and absolutely freezing in the lake.

Also, I am disappointed in the race packets. Not one friggin' gel pack sample to be had. The best thing about the packet, aside from the t-shirt, is the manilla envelope itself, into which I will stuff my '04 tax documents for long-term storage.

Finally, I really thought the race directors were not acting reasonably by holding a 5k in the rain and wind AND LIGHTNING and felt like they were trying to justify not refunding any part of our money. I understand that a lot of people had to be paid regardless of whether the race was on, but it would be nice if they gave us a discount of another tri-the-parks race or even next year's.

As far as my own gym tri went, it was pretty good. I'm glad I did it and think it shows improvement since my last tri even if the courses were unreasonably easy. Also, it has made it possible for me to sit here, drink a beer and write this race report with something resembling humor. Cheers!

Last updated: 2005-03-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 600 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 1/1
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: I swam back and forth in the gym pool 12 times. Thankfully, the folks in the pool understood that I was not a loony even though I looked like I'd been abducted by a mathematical cult with a fetish for permanent markers. I wore my friggin' red cap from the rained out tri.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:00 | 11.2 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Flat on the stationary bike.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:00 | 03.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Course: Flat. On the dreadmill. Need I say more?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-04-30 1:52 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Tri the Parks John Tanner Sucked So I Did My Own!

2005-04-30 2:36 PM
in reply to: #150478

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks John Tanner Sucked So I Did My Own!
Whit,

Your report is too funny. I agree that Blue Sky should have planned for such weather during events. I stayed and did the run because I've gotten my shoes wet before and know they will dry out OK. But I'm not satisfied with paying $60 for a 5K run, and believe me that is not half of what I spent on this event. At the end of the run, the conditions cleared up so that we could have done the whole event. Maybe we should all send the emails to Blue Sky Sports to try to get some sort of pricing concession on another race. BTW my packet had a gel in it.
2005-04-30 2:38 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I got a gel pack. I wonder if they accidently skipped your envelope or something. You can have my hammer gel. It's banana. YUCK!

It was good to see you again. Thanks for chatting while we both froze off our booties.

I did my own indoor tri too. Guess I should do a race report.

Have a good afternoon,
Bethany
2005-04-30 4:22 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Way to face adversity.  Great little race of your own.  I would have been pissed too.  Take care -SMO
2005-04-30 10:55 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Well done! Way to go at it alone and F#*% the dudes for a crappy race. Happy for you!
2005-04-30 11:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Just curious...

Why would you assume any partial refund? Most races say it up front... no refund, no exceptions. If that was the case... whats the beef about not getting a refund (even if it was a partial).

I've been to large and small races where they were cancelled because of weather and replace with a 5k run... no big deal... this risk comes with the sport (IMHO). And, none of those races sucked... It just happens...

As for this comment...."Instead, they drew it out so they could justify not refunding our money."
I seriously doubt that would be a reason to delay a race... that reason just doesn't make sense.
To me, it sounds more like a case of lighting in the area caused for the delay.

Good that you turned lemons into lemonade...

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2005-04-30 11:31 PM

2005-05-01 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
You are welcome to my banana hammer gel!  Did you get a medal at your gym tri?

Edited by jamesreeves 2005-05-01 9:05 PM
2005-05-01 9:27 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Whit~ I'm so laughing!! What a great attitude!!

I too hate being disappointed and weather is so out of our hands.

You did great!!! Loved it!!

Kristi
2005-05-02 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Great to be able to put a face with an avatar!

Glad to hear you went to do your own.  I had to stay and run because by the time I drove back to the Columbus/ Ft. Benning area, I lost all motivation.  So, I ran in the rain, which is nothing new for me.

Glad to hear you followed through on your plan!

2005-05-02 9:56 AM
in reply to: #150657

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Hi there Joe,

I didn't actually assume any sort of refund for the weather and I know the refund rules.  My thinking about the price concession is that the organization that ran this tri does it for profit (no charity is benefiting from this) and ended up with their profit even though the race didn't really happen.  Now, I'm not blasting capitalism or their right to make money, but from a customer service standpoint, a small price concession towards a future race (put on by them) would be a nice gesture.

As far as delaying the race went, it was very clear that there was no way a swim or bike was going to happen due to the constant lightning strikes.  Even if the weather had cleared somewhat, the storm would really have had to been around 50 miles away for it to have been safe to swim or bike w/o fear of electricution (lightning can travel up to about that far from a storm).  Knowing that, I really just wished they would have called off the bike and swim portions earlier on so I could have gone on and turned in my chip and gone home.  Sure, no one was making me stay there but pride kinda keeps you from wanting to turn in your chip if the race or even a du is still on.

In the end, my griping is just that -- griping.  But I still maintain that I will never sign up for that race again b/c it's just too early.

And it sounds like I wasn't missing out on getting a gel.  Seriously, banana?  Blech!

Also, I WON MY TRI!  I came in 1st out of 1 competitors.  Not too shabby!

Edited by Whit 2005-05-02 9:58 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks John Tanner Sucked So I Did My Own! Rss Feed