World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 12m 58s
Overall Rank = 980/
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 953/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a 2:30, ate a banana. Caught the Shuttle at 3:30 was at transition around 4:00. Had a bagel with jelly. streched and checked out the conditions at the beach. One word sums it up WINDY. Came back into transition and got my gear ready. Suited up and took a practice swim.
Event warmup:

about 400m in the water
Swim
  • 40m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first open swim so I was surprised at how the current affected my swim. This was my fastest 1.2 swim. Water was coppy going out and then smoothed out after passing the second bouy. Sighting was difficult due to the swells and the makers were farther apart than they looked from the shore. After the first turn I was breathing toward the swell (have to practice brathing to both sides more). Inbound leg seemed harder and I was told that this was due to the fact the tide was going out. The line of markers was not straight so I was zig zagging all over the place.
What would you do differently?:

More ocean water swimming
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

Good transition with we suit strippers. I'm getting spoiled since all my recent races have them. I'm not sure what I'll do when I race without them. I was surprised that I didn't have sand on my feet after running accross and into transition. Into my shoes a little slow.

Need to practice into my socks and shoes with wet feet
Bike
  • 3h 08m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride and legs felt great. A lot more climbing than I expected on this couse. Could have been faster if I knew the course better and if the route was different through the city.

Drove the course the day befor.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

OK transition. Missed my row but was ont eh end so I did not loose too much time. Almost started my run with my bike shorts on. Great weather for a ride. Cool and overcast until the last few miles.

Better attention to rack location
Run
  • 2h 16m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Left transition fast and ran the big hill on the first loop. Sun had come out by now and the temps were going up. Sponges in thh aid staition were great! very little shade thoughout the run course with the exception of the indound mile on Blackstone and the 2nd half of the hill. Ran up to the turn at the capitol and saw my cheering section (my wife Pam) which gave me the boost I needed. Went out fast ont eh second loop and power walked half the hill. At the next aide station they gave out ice cold towels which were a lifesaver. I put it under my visor and poured water on it at every aide station. had cramps for about 2 miles on this leg. Came back into the downtown and was happy to see the end. Was a bit slow on the hill going in but when it flatteded out I sprinted to the finnish and felt strong. Across the finish line in 6:12 which is 1 hour better than my best 70.3 time (Florida 2006) on a much harder course.

Need more running miles in my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching and lots of water. Kept moving and felt good after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training and training in warmer weather(it's been cold and rainy all spring/summer).

Event comments:

Excellent race. Great volunteers!!!! Spectators were very supportive and the police on the course were great. Check-in was easy and the expo was nice. Could have had more athlete breifings as I missed it due to the tight schedule on Saturday (hit beach traffic dropping off bike).

Everyone involved with this race were spectacular!!!!

Last updated: 2009-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 1270/
Overall: 1304/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Predetor 2
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle. Ocean swim
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:19 | 56 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat for the first 15 miles. Hilly in the middle. Very tough the last 10-15 miles as you were riding in heavy traffic or an curvy city streets. About 6 railroad crossings and the road surfaces were dangerous in some places. Last section probably added 10 minutes to my time.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:53 | 13.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: 2 loop beatiful run course with a killer hill (7% grade)at about 3/4 miles. Flat and with a few samll inclines out to the turn. Great aid stations. Gradual hill leading up to the steep downhill. Gradual hill going to the halfway point.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-13 8:27 AM

User image

New user

Tyngsboro MA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

2009-07-13 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2280475

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

Nice race. I skipped the strippers. Did you wear bike shorts over something?

2009-07-13 10:25 PM
in reply to: #2280475

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island
Nice race! I was happy to see the wetsuit strippers-- it's been a while since I've had to take off my own suit in a race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island Rss Feed