General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 57s
Overall Rank = 215/728
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Photobucket TRILOGY #2

This Race is other great Event organized for the well known people of

Photobucket

This Event is part of the famous Mack Cycle Triathlon Trilogy Series...the most tough and competitive Sprints in South Florida and took place in Key Biscayne, Florida...but...for reason out of their control (Emergency repair of the Bear Cut Bridge)...the location was moved from Crandon Park to the Miami Marine Stadium...where the M.I.T Miami International Triathlon took place last March...and...the Bike Course had to be shortened from 10 to 8 miles...

It hold a Duathlon with 103 participants and at the same time a Triathlon with 728 participants...

Friday July 17th:

We went to the bike store "Mack Cycle" in Miami to pick-up our Race Packages...My Buddy got the Bid #350 / yellow cap...and...me...the Bid #352 / navy blue cap...Yes...!!! other color than the usual and NO favorite PINK CAP...LOL

Photobucket

Then We went for Carbo load to our favorite Italian Restaurant "Di Napoli"...My Buddy ordered his usual Seafood Pasta and for me Scampi shrimps over linguinis...and italian salads for both...and...unsweet ice tea...Yummmmmy!!! Also We ordered like usual a big Pizza to take with us for next day...

Saturday July 18th:

Woke-up late...around 8:00 am...Nice...!!!
Took a full breaksfast: OJ, toasted bagels with cream cheese, slice of turkey and salame, and brie on top, eggs, and coffee w/milk...and...off course our usual package of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO-Q10...

Wiped/lubed/tuned my Bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...changed chain of my bike for a new one...and...put Bid#s on my bike, helmet and belt...and...prepared/packed my Race stuff...

Took luch at noon time...Pizza...and...took an 1 hour nap from 2:00 to 3:00 pm.

Prepared all my beverages for the Race...placed them into the fridge/refrigerator...

Loaded bikes and Transition Bags into the car and got early dinner: Ground meat over Eggplant and steams veggies...Yummmmy!!!

Went to bed at 9:00 pm....ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sunday July 19th:
Woke-up at 4:15 am...Got dressed...Took my usual Pre-Race Beakfast: OJ and my Super Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and my package of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine, and CO-Q 10...

Did our own body-marked...to save time...

Took our coolers with beverages and left from home around 5:00 am...It took us about 1 hour to get at Key Biscayne...parked the car...took our bikes, bags and coolers and headed to pick-up our timming chips...and..went to Transition Area...

Racked my bike in my rack area and set-up my Race stuff like usual:
Helmet over seat, sunglasess over handlebar and Speedfil Hydration System in its cage...
Put a green towel next to the bike...my bike was the last one in the rack...biking/running shoes over the green towel, my belt with Bid# and a small ziploc with 2 Endurolytes inside my hat all wrapped next to the running shoes and a bottle with frozen water...

Photobucket

Checked Exit/Entrance in Trasnsition and saw Chewie Louis (Luois) and Angelo...and...went to say hi to them...They were 3 or 4 racks before mine...and...then went to find SC Runner (Brad)...He came from South Caroline with his family (wife and 3 kids) to spend vacation at the Keys in South Florida...He was Bid# 528 not too far from my rack area...It was nice to meet him...a short conversation...and...ran fast to the long lines at the porta-potty...not enough...and...I couldn't wait more longer...and...jumped into the water to pee...Ufffff...what a reliefe...!!! LOL

Went back to my rack arae...relaxed over my cooler...closed eyes...and...did a final visualization of the Race...took 1 Accel Gel and 2 Endurolytes with water/Amino Vita (lime)...

Took my goggles, swim cap, wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swim Area...

Event warmup:

Some arms and legs stretchings and jumped into the water...the water temp. was nice...not too warm...swam maybe 200 mts and came back to shore...

And met with my Buddy and my girl friend Julie...and...I saw Brad and he came to us...and...I introduced to My Buddy, Julie and my friend Angelo...both Angelo and him were in the same AG 35-39...

The Triathlon started like usually in time...at 6:58 am...with the 1st Wave: Pro-Elite (Male and Female) and Physical Challenged...and...after 2 minutes...the Duathlon in Mass...and the rest of the Waves...every 5 minutes...there were 9 Waves...Brad and Angelo were in the Wave #3 at 7:05 am...just after the Duathlon...My Buddy in the Wave #4 at 7:10 am and me in the Wave# 8 at 7:30...almost the last one...Female 40+, Athena, Female Fat Tire and Relays...
Swim
  • 10m 27s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Here is the Swim Course:

Photobucket

The Swim Leg looks like it was longer according with the times of everybody and the run from the Swim Exit to Transition was included...

This time I decided to be in the middle of the pack and be close to the fast swimmers to try to draft behind of some of them...
Just when the guy gave us green light to start I jumped like usual without any problem...no kick and punch combat...it was very nice...enough space to spread out...I draft behind some good swimmers from the Start till the 1st bouy...from there to the second buoy...many of them took off...and...I was by myself...with my usual easy pace...and...it was there when I noticed that we were swimming against the current...when I got at the 2nd bouy I started to draft behind of a good friend...Marylou Brunetta...she is in my same AG...and it was nice cuz I didn't kill by myself...
Just when my hands touch the sand at shore...I got up and ran out as fast as possible reaching/passing a lot of women included my friend Marylou...
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more...to train very seriously...but...unfortunate...the weather has not cooperated too much with me...
Always Excuses...but..It's true...!!!
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

A very fast transition like usual...I was the fastest in my AG and 88th Overall / 728...WooooHooooo!!!
Just in Transition Area...ran to my rack area...put helmet/sunglasses and biking shoes at the same time...took bike...and ran very fast our of Transition Area...reaching/passing Marylou again...that she was in her way out too...LOL

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 24m 52s
  • 8 miles
  • 19.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is the Bike Course:

Photobucket

This one was shortened cuz repair works at the small bridge that goes to Crandon Park...

It was a nice/fast bike ride...but...We had to deal with too much bike traffic...

Just approching to the bridge...my friend Marylou reached/passed me...I knew that she would do it cuz she is super-fast in the bike...at this point...I know that I'm in the the top 5...and...started to crank more and more...the first climb of the "Rickenbacker Bridge" was not big deal...and...at the top...like always...made me feel like I conquered the "Everest" plus the view from that point of the City of Miami is spectacular...and...it's when the exictment start...down bridge...like flying...at almost 40 mph...Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!!! but then after the bridge...maybe 200 mts...the U-turn...and...again to climb the beast "Rickenbacker Bridge"...Uffffff!!! till you get at the top...and...the excitment starts again....down bridge...and after maybe 1. 50 miles after the bridge...till the point we had to turn left to head to Virginia Key...just before...this turn...my friend Julie Carson who is usually one of the fastest biker on my AG reached/ passed me...but...this time...she couldn't take off of me...and...I kept very close behind her...off course keeping the allowed distance 3 bikes in front of me...she really motivated me to keep an excellent average in the bike...passing a lot of people and women from Waves before ours...just approching to the desmount area...I passed her...and...did my usual desmount like the Pro-Elites but keeping shoes on...jumped from my bike and ran to Transition Area...

Train and train...
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Other fast transition even I was the 2nd fastest in my AG and 109th Overall / 728...Not bad!!!
Ran fast to my rack area...racked bike without problem...changed shoes, took off helmet, took my hat and bottle of water and ran super fast our of Transition....

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 26m 49s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is the Run Course:

Photobucket

The Run Course is very nice...part paved and dirty trail...but...we usually have a slower time in this course...it's a little narrow trail...a lot of people traffic...and...it's really difficult to pass them cuz people coming in the other way...but...in general it's really nice...cuz...it's very shady...and...you don't feel the heat like in Crandon Park...

Just out of Transiton Area...running in a constante pace...not to slow and not too fast...put my hat...my belt with Bid#...took the 2 Endurolytes with enough water...tossed some over my head, neck and shoulders...nice...!!! and put the bottle in my back pocket of my Tri-suit...

The firts section of the Run Course is over white sand...soft and compact sand sections...then...starts a paved trail...where...I started to push more and more...passing a lot of people....got at the 1st water station at the mile 1...took 2 cups of water...tossed one over my head and did drink the other one...even...the trail is very shady...still...I can feel the humidity...

From this point...starts a mile of dirty trail...where you have to pay a lot of attention of your steps if you don't want to fall...it's 1/2 mile till the u-turn and other 1/2 mile go back to the water station...and...again the paved trail...where I started to push more and more...passing tons of people even it's a narrow trail...

Just approching till the point where the paved trail finished...I saw my Buddy...jumping and cheering me..."Sprint...sprint...right now till the Finish Line"...and...I did it as fast as I could...and...still passing a lot people in my last meters till the Finish Line....Nice...!!!

Train and train...
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...other removed the 2 timming chips from my ankles (new system)...and...

I went to the food area to get some slices to orange...and...meet with my Buddy that was already waiting for me out of the Finish Line Area...

Went to Transition Area...collected/packed all our Race stuff...took our Bikes, bags and coolers and headed to the car...and...loaded all into the car...and...moved the car next to Transition Area...and...went to check Results...

When we got there...Brad (SC Runner) was already checking his results...
He did it great even he was a little dissapointed about the running time...but...I explained why the run is slower in this run course and according with the times of everybody...and...he felt a little better...
He got 26th in his AG 35-39 and my friend Angelo came behind him in 28th of 86 guys...not bad...!!! Their Age Group is the most tough and competitive AG...Here is a pic of Brad with me after checking our Results:

Photobucket

By my surprise...I got 2nd in my AG 45-49 and my girl friend Marylou got 3rd Female Master Overall...

Age Group: 2nd / 13

Female Overall: 30th / 206

Overall: 215th / 728

Total Time: 1h 03m 57s

My Buddy got 10th in his AG 55-59...Good Job Babu...!!! He has not trained enough...a lot of work...lack of sleep...and still...he keeps it...!!!

And here are the Pics in the Award Ceremony:

Photobucket Photobucket

And here the Award:

Photobucket

After I received my Award...somebody came to say "Hi"...and...I couldn't recognized him at the first moment...cuz...he was not using his clown mask that usually use in the BT Forum (J/K)...LOL...but...It was nice to meet HeatmizerKW (Michael) from BT...LOL...And I told him that our friend Angelo mentioned to SC Runner this funny comment... "if you want to find Velo in a Race...for sure...You will find her in the Award Ceremony"...LOL
Thanks Angelo....You are a great friend...LOL

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I know that I could do a faster run...but...not in this Run Course...It's a narrow trail...when there are too many people is very difficult to pass cuz people are coming from the other way...

Event comments:

Excellnt Event like usual...very well organized...a lot of volunteers...plain of water stations...and...tons of food after the Race...

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:27 | 437 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 383/728
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:52 | 08 miles | 19.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 237/728
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:49 | 03 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 233/728
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-21 7:44 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2

2009-07-22 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2300213

User image

Key West
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2
Excellent report (as usual) Velo.  It was nice to meet up with you as well as I think I walked past you four times before you mounted the award podium and gave your identity away.  Big congrats on your 2nd place finish.  I am not sure without looking back on your pace times how this compares with other performances but your transition times were hot.

Next time I will bring the clown outfit, ha!
2009-07-22 8:53 PM

User image

Miami,FL
Great race velo, congrats on the podium finish. It was very nice meeting you.
2009-07-23 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Super job Velo!!! Congrats on getting more hardware! You are having a fabtastic race season!

2009-07-23 9:36 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Guys...for all your kind words and support....

And here You can see some Pics in action:

http://eventpictures.com/app/event/searchPicture?eventInstanceId=16790&searchType=2&curPage=1&searchWordCaption=0352

2009-07-24 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
another lesson in how to compete...you are a machine Velo, nice job!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 Rss Feed