General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 4s
Overall Rank = 641/1121
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 50/71
Pre-race routine:

Half cup of icky hotel room coffee, muffin with PB. water. Get to the site to set-up
Event warmup:

Just walked around and checked out the swim course.
Swim
  • 12m 39s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

First OWS with other people. Didn't want to wade, so stood neck deep about 20 yards back until 15 seconds to go and started swimming. Thought it would be a lot worse swimming with other people, but the group was pretty spread out. Bumped into a few, including a couple of guys that seemed to be swimming perpendicular to the course! Couldn't managed alternate side breathing, and felt more comfortable just breathing on the right side. About 200 meters in, get into a smooth stroke and breathing. Siting was pretty easy since I just pretty much followed the group and looked up every so often to site the bouy. Nice and big and easy to see. I was happy with how it went.
What would you do differently?:

Focus my workouts on improving my speed. Would like to be under 2 mins/100.
Transition 1
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

First transition in the heat of the battle. Found my bike pretty easily. Sat down to put on socks and shoes. Bike jersey was stuck. I was surprised it took me that long. The run with the bike seemed loooong.

I wanted to wear my Naval Academy jersey. Cost me extra time putting it on, but it was worth it to hear a few "Go Navy!s"
Bike
  • 38m 2s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Being on the old heavy Raleigh, wanted to ride at least 16.5 mph, with a stretch of 18mph, in order to finish in less than 90 minutes overall. Struggled with clipping in (in too much of a hurry), but started off at a good clip. Took a Gu. Felt good to do some passing, but of course, was passed a lot. Did well on the flats, but a little worse on the hills. Seemed a little windy at times when I was out there. Drank the full accelerade on the ride.

Really, really happy with my ride. Faster than my goal. Getting the Lemond to fit better or a new bike. Maybe went a little too hard and that affected my run.

The finish came up quickly. Jumped off too soon.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Transition went smoothly.

Not sure. just slow I guess.
Run
  • 33m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I just felt bad the whole time. Had to walk a little and this probably pushed me over my 90 minute goal. I could never get into a cadence that felt good. Struggled the whole way, and never felt comfortable. Was very diaappointed in my time, but must keep things in perspective. 5 months ago, I didn't run. Today, I completed a tri!

Drink more, and real coffee in the morning. Maybe take a gu at the beginning of the run. Stretch in transition?
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, walked around. Had water, pretzel, some pasta/meatballs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The day before. Being stranded on I-95 in the heat and humidity, and missing lunch. Lack of coffee. Should have had some protein in the morning, and probably taken a Gu before the run.

Event comments:

This is my first tri - Get off the couch in January and started walking, began running with 4 x 2 minute run (struggle) and losing 60 pounds in order to complete a tri before I turned 50.

Pre-race week was not good. Had bike issues so, had to switch back to my '86 Raleigh Technium which I had not ridden for several weeks. Went to the LBS to pick up a bike for my son who was visiting from California. About an hour away from home, car breaks down about a mile from the entrance to the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. Whew! Spent an hour an half on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck and my wife to rescue. I think standing on the side of the road and missing lunch played a factor. This was a great first tri for me. My oldest son came from California and did the Olympic. He was the inspiration for me to want to do this. I really enjoyed watching him race, and thought the triathlets were really nice people, so I wanted to do this someday too. My middle son did his first tri, also the Olympic. Was so impressed by him. He kicked ass in the swim, rode his butt off on a borrowed 1982 bike with a ripped seat. And, he almost placed in his age group. Awesome! It was really cool to do this with them. We will all do it again some day.

Last updated: 2009-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:39 | 547 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/71
Overall: 0/1121
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Left Turn L shaped
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:02 | 11.5 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Overall: 0/1121
Performance: Good
154/167
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat, but not as flat as I thought it would be. Well marked, and good support at the intersections. A few more cars than I would have thought.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:33:02 | 03.11 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 808/1121
Performance: Bad
155/167
Course: Walking trail in the park. Again, a little more hilly than I was thinking. Tended to be crowed at times with people passing in both directions.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-07-27 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2309606

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job. From no running from 5 months ago to completing a sprint is awesome. I must've seen you out there with the Navy shirt.
2009-07-27 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2309606

User image

Awesome job.

Dropping 60 pounds and competing in your first triathlon are two OUTSTANDING accomplishments when considered individually... the fact that you completed them both in 2009 makes it much more impressive.

Wishing you much luck and a healthy future...

AJ
2009-07-29 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2309861

User image

Champion
great job, you will have learned a lot from this race to the next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed