United States
Korff Enterprises
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 51m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 66/273
Pre-race routine:

Had a really great night of sleep. Up at 3:45. Had a bagel with PB, banana, small coffee and sipped on some Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Mile+ walk up to the swim start.
Swim
  • 19m 46s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

A couple days before the race my coach reminded me that I'm a front of the pack swimmer, so I need to be more confident in the start and stop positioning myself in the middle of the pack. So, I positioned myself in the very front of the pack and on the outside where the current was the strongest. Took me a couple hundred meters to relax and get into a steady rhythm & breathing, but from then on I felt better then I've ever felt in an OWS. I eventually caught up to girls in the wave ahead of me, and then some more girls from two waves ahead. I had no one around me for the majority of the swim. It was a little congested at the exit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 06m 45s
Comments:

This was about a 400 meter run to the TA. First thing I did after exiting the water was to wipe away my Hudson 'stache. Took the run pretty easy to help bring down my HR.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 30m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.55 mile/hr
Comments:

From the moment when I got on the bike until I dismounted I found the course to be extremely crowded! At the bike mount there was actually a line/crowd of people and I had to wait to get on my bike & get going. It was pretty cool to be riding on the West Side Highway and to ride through a toll booth. With the course being as crowded as it was and road conditions not being the best, I found it difficult to pass people at times. Those conditions aside, I thought it was a great course. I felt great on most of the climbs and managed to pass quite a few people here, but found myself getting nervous and holding back on many of the descents. I've spent a lot of time this season working on my confidence in descents. I feel like I've come a long way and feel pretty strong here, so I'm not totally sure what happened here today. Shortly before getting to the turn-around in the Bronx I realized I didn't drink anything yet. I had 1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of GE....plan was to alternate between the two and drink most of each bottle. Took 3 solid mouthfuls of water. The bottles were wet from the pre-race rain, and as I was trying to put it back in the cage it slipped out of my hands. I yelled out to apologize to the girl behind me, fearing that she'd hit it. Luckily it didn't fall in her path (or anyone else behind me), and she was so nice & encouraging and yelled back to remind me that I didn't need that bottle anyway, I had another one. Saw a lot of people out on the course with flats and other bike troubles, and really thankful that I was not one of them.

Have more confidence on the bike, which will come with more time in the saddle. Drink more!!! And not lose a bottle next time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s

Nothing
Run
  • 53m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great going into the run!! I was a little nervous about hydration bc it was really humid and I didn't drink very much at all on the bike. I also started to feel pretty hungry at this point. I took water at every other aid station and was fine, and actually forgot about the hunger. The first mile across 72nd Street with lined with loads of people cheering....it was unbelievable and that mile fly by! Slowly picked up the pace each mile. By mile 5 I pushed out the rest with everything I had. This made me appreciate those long intveral speed workouts that I hate so much :) This was my fastest 10k ever and a huge PR for me.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Got my cold towel, finisher's medal and had a couple bottles of water. I was a lot easier finding my family and friends than I expected. Went to brunch with my family afterwards.....I was starving by this point and couldn't decide between pancakes or eggs & bacon....I got both :)

Event comments:

I had a really great time and it was a fun race, but I never got excited in the way I thought I'd be. When I volunteered for this race last year and when I reigstered last fall I was unbelievably excited for this race! In the week leading up to the race I never felt that I excitement...and it never came when I was at the expo...still didn't come when I went to the bike drop off on Saturday and much to my surprise I still didn't have the excitement I expected on Sunday.

This is a organized race for the most part, with tons of extremely helpful volunteers (thank you all!)!! But I would not do this race again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:46 | 1500 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/273
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Hudson River - point to point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:06 | 24.85 miles | 16.55 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course:
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:08 | 06.21 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Across 72nd Street and around Central Park. Some flats, mostly rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 12:42 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2009-07-27 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2310386

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
Way to god KD!!!  You rocked the race!    273 in your AG... That just blows my mind.  To have a race that BIG ~ that many people racing!  Crazy!  Great job - Timberman will be like a walk in Central Park!
2009-07-27 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2310457

User image

Master
Houston
Great race! You were very solid in swim/bike and brought it home in a 10k PR, amazing! I bet you're saving all of the race 'excitement' for Timberman and Longhorn
2009-07-27 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
YEAH Kelli!  I can not imagine a race that big! 

You go girl!  Like the pics!
2009-07-27 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Oh!  And you're definitely a front pack swimmer!  Do NOT sell yourself short!
2009-07-27 2:22 PM

User image

Long Island, NY
Great race, excellent swim! It always feels nice to catch some stragglers from the waves before you.

Nice that you only had to walk a mile to the start. i wonder how that must feel.

Congrats again.

2009-07-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2310478

User image

Master
New York, NY
That's kind of what I was thinking   Don't get me wrong though, I had a great race and it was a fun day!

evondo - 2009-07-27 2:14 PM Great race! You were very solid in swim/bike and brought it home in a 10k PR, amazing! I bet you're saving all of the race 'excitement' for Timberman and Longhorn
2009-07-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2310521

User image

Master
New York, NY
Thanks Betsy!!  After yesterday's race I know this now  

Betsy0706 - 2009-07-27 2:28 PM Oh!  And you're definitely a front pack swimmer!  Do NOT sell yourself short!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed