TriKauai
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 25s
Overall Rank = 41/106
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to my alarm but had a very light sleep. Gathered up my nutrition and breakfast, drank my coffee and ate my egg on a piece of organic sunflower seed toast in the car on the way. I was in my hubby's car and just turn on his CD player and U2 a beautiful day came right on! How appropriate! Got to Poipu park and set up my transition area, talked with friends, had the dry heaves from anxiety - need to work on this anxiety thing.
Event warmup:

Road my bike up a small hill and around for 10 minutes, took a very short jog, stretched. I pretty sure this helped!
Swim
  • 08m 32s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a great start, my neighbor who swims way more than I do was right with me, so I decided that I should let her go and ride her feet, lost her at the first buoy change because I was trying to find the next buoy which was smack dab in the sun, should have just stayed on her feet and trusted her navigation skills, she beat me out of the water by 1 minute. She is in my age group too, her first tri.
What would you do differently?:

I need to try different goggles for sun, I actually had a new pair because the last race I had the same problem, another friend said to go with orange lenses, so I need to buy new goggles.

Oh yeah trust my neighbor's swimming ability!
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

easy transition, no socks shoes on quick, helmet on fast. my neighbor who beat me out of the water was sitting putting her sneakers on and her husband said "hey Nancy (me) is already gone"! I remember sitting on my first tri putting my sneakers on, I think that is totally allowed on your first!

nothing
Bike
  • 51m 16s
  • 14.18 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

This felt good, the last time on this course my legs were tight but not today, time was bit faster but last time I did drop my chain. I had a lot of fun passing so many riders, I was nice and said hello to them, was passed by couple guys but no girls today!

push harder!
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

happy with this transition. Had friends & family cheering me on!

nothing.
Run
  • 27m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is so hard for me. I had another friend who is about the same pace ahead of me, she is in the younger age group that left 2 minutes ahead of us, I was trying to catch her most of the run and managed to do it at the last 100 yards. She was my little pace bunny, thanked her for that.

This was a good run for me, my goal was to do at least a 9 minute mile and I did 8.4 I even stopped and walked a little, that totally helps, I am convinced now.

My quads were getting tight toward the end, I didn't slow down like I did the last race fear they would cramp, I think it is just a little LA not clearing fast enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure if all the anxiety I have prior to the race takes some energy away.

Event comments:

This is a canoe club putting on the race, it is their 3rd one, they are getting better every time. More competitors each race, this was the first one I did the whole race, the last two I did as a relays.

Beautiful course!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:32 | 500 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 64/106
Performance: Good
Suit: two piece tri suit
Course: Triangle course, 1st buoy out in the surf break, second buoy in the sun, third buoy on the the beach, left-left-right with the buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:16 | 14.18 miles | 16.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 43/106
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: First part is all work, false flats, headwinds and hills, second part is fun fast! All down the tree tunnel road to the bypass my favorite part!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 76/106
Course: Fairly flat 5k with a few little hills enough to make you work just a little harder.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: TriKauai Triathlon Series

2009-07-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2310922

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: TriKauai Triathlon Series

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO 1st place out of 9! you go girl! I am very proud of my island sista! Way to rock that island race!

2009-07-30 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2310922

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: TriKauai Triathlon Series
Great job out there! I wish I could swim like you! And that's a great way to keep the motivation up on the run - with a target to catch ...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriKauai Triathlon Series Rss Feed