Tri WA
21C / 70F
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 26s
Overall Rank = 128/193
Age Group = 20 - 29
Age Group Rank = 16/30
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Busselton on Friday, pretty tired after the drive but did a light ride of the course.
Got up and showered at 5am then forced some food in. I've really got to find something that doesn't make me feel really sick to eat before a race. I managed 1/2 glass of sustagen and 1/2 a breakfast bar. but that realyl didn't work for me this time. I had an upset tummy the whole race. gotta work on that.

The atmosphere before the race was amazing. I've never been so excited. The Half Ironman was to start right after the sprint that i was doing so htere were so many people there to watch us. And It was soo well organised as there were 600 people doing the half and 200 doing my sprint! (there was lots of cute boys in the transition too!)
Event warmup:

I didn't do a warm up but I did a good 30min stretch instead.
Swim
  • 07m 19s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was freezing. I'm not used to really cold water so it took my breath away a bit at the start.
It was a mass wade start with 200 people all at the same time. I got hit twice in the head at the 100m mark and was a bit put off but just kept swimming and got my stroke back and was doing ok until the first turn at the buoy. As there were so many people I was hemmed in and couldn't get any clear water and got stuck turning with a big group and as a result a guy hit my leg/knee really hard and his arm caught my leg and he pulled me under which really threw me. I struggled to get my stroke back and didn't have the greatest swim as a result.
What would you do differently?:

If I do one this late in the season I'll have to get a wetsuit it was too cold to do without a wetsuit.

I'm not sure how I would avoid getting hit in the head or being dragged under. I have never had a start with that many people before I'll have toget a bit more experience in that. it was really hard with big strong guys swimming next to you not to get hit.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a pretty good transition. No major problems.

Nothing
Bike
  • 33m 4s
  • 14 kms
  • 25.40 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course was completely flat! Very very smooth surface I changed gears only at the beginning and going around the corner.
I could not push myself to go any faster though. I definately felt the fatigue in my legs from the workouts the day before.
My tummy was upset the whole ride too.

Not do a workout the day before a race (stupid I know) Find something that I can eat before the race so I don't feel sick on the bike.
Try and push it a bit faster
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition again!

Nothing
Run
  • 17m 3s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 16s  min/km
Comments:

The first km I felt pretty crap but then found my stride and I enjoyed the run (Yep I actually enjoyed a run which is a first for me) I did have to stop and adjust my shoes which added time. But I felt pretty good

Get some toggles for my laces and I think I need to get new shoes for my new orthotics. and obviously a bit more run training and I hopefully will get a bit faster
Post race
Warm down:

Did a really quick stretch, not enough but I had to get to the start of the half ironman to watch my dad and heaps of my friends competing. What a fantastic race day and event. Its definately inspired me to do a half ironman one day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not having the right food. I also have a feeling I would be better at longer distances I'm not fast over short distances.

Once I've got my running/feet and calves sorted out. I'm going to work on my running over winter now that tri season is over here! Pretty happy with it all though really

Event comments:

The race was fantastically organised as it was a pre race to the Half Ironman and a bit field of people 600 in half and 200 in my race. Really great weekend and I want to go next year hopefully either in the half or as a team in the half!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:19 | 400 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 78/193
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts and tri top
Course: 175ms out to a buoy, left hand turn at the buoy and 100m parallel to the shore, left hand turn at buoy and then 175m back to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 19F / -7C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:04 | 14 kms | 25.40 km/hr
Overall: 120/193
Wind: Some
Course: Two laps of a 7km loop up and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:03 | 04 kms | 04m 16s  min/km
Overall: 158/193
Course: 1 lap 2km out and 2km back
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-08 11:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Busselton Festival of Triathlon

2005-05-10 11:46 PM
in reply to: #154660

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: Busselton Festival of Triathlon
Tiny little photo, I'm the one in the pink top.  I've got more photos on the way.
2005-05-11 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Sweet race! Your running hardly needs work - 4m 16s kms...I'd kill for those kind of run times!! Your swim was also fast given there were so many people in the wave start.

Enjoy the off season, hopefully you can work out your pre race nutrition while training over the winter. I know that my stomach will not tolerate milk or cereal before a race, I'm better with some toast & gatorade.

Good luck!
2005-05-11 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Thanks Casie, I'm planning on trying all sorts of foods out in training over winter.   Toast is the next thing on my list to try.  Hopefully that will work. 

I'm already looking forward to the next season and doing some longer races!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Busselton Festival of Triathlon Rss Feed