General Discussion Race Reports! » THREADS & TREADS GREENWICH CUP TRIATHLON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

THREADS & TREADS GREENWICH CUP TRIATHLON - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
United States
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 14m
Overall Rank = 2/184
Age Group = Female Overall
Age Group Rank = 2/184
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate a banana and a cliff mini, drank some OJ, grabbed stuff and drove to Greenwich.
Set up my transition area - Donna got to the elite racks before me so had the good spot at the end. I racked up next to her and we chatted for a bit as we got attacked by mosquitoes. Found Dom, asked him about my tire pressure - he said my tires were really low! I was running a disk back and didn't realize you need a converter to pump them up. Luckily one of the other elites - Sarah was also riding with a disk and I was able to borrow hers and her pump. Thank you Sarah!!!
Event warmup:

Ran about 10 minutes up and down the beach - saw at least a dozen bunny rabbits! Then went out for a warm up ride with Dom after I inflated my tires. Long line for the bathroom! Then rushed back to transition to grab my wetsuit and head down to the water. Swam about 250 yards to WU and got to the start line with about 5 minutes to spare.

Swim
  • 11m
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

They didn't do any sort of countdown or "minute to go" they just said -go and everyone was off. My goggles were not on tightly enough and I had to take a stroke and push them into my eye sockets. The elite wave went off with the 29 and under guys so there was a bit of jockying for position at first. There was a strong current pushing us right so people were a bit all over the course. After I rounded the first buoy I was with Dom and on the toes of the two lead guys. Coming in and sighting the exit area was a bit difficult, but I think I judged it OK. I ran up the beach just behind Dom.
What would you do differently?:

Goggle straps should be a bit tighter. Otherwise not much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Still need to learn the shoe trick! My new areo helmet is a bit tricky to put on and I fumbled for a few seconds with it.

see above
Bike
  • 39m
  • 14.2 miles
  • 21.85 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me a little while to warm up on the bike, breathing was a bit labored at first. I think this may have been because I was trying to keep up with the elite guys. I looked at my speed and noticed I was going 25 mph on flat road. After a little while was able to settle in. Waved to my husband who was working the post road intersection. Hills were not seeming to take too much out of me and was able to power up bible st that has some short steep climbs without loosing much speed. Got passed by my friend Bax (elite cyclist) at around mid-way point and was able to keep him in sight for the remainder of the ride. I got passed by another guy just before the dreaded Palmer Hill, but actually blasted by him going up the hill! Unfortunately he re-passed me on the downhill.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Need to practice the shoe trick! Arriving in transition I am greeted by a slightly confused race director with a microphone -he definitely thought Donna would be in first. While running to my rack he asked me what my name/number is -"#8, Megan Kelly" he then announces that I am the first female into T2. I was hoping I could hear him announce woman #2 on the run to determine how much of a lead I had but I never heard it. He did yell out my split time which was helpful since there are no official RBS splits. Fumbled a little getting my right sock/shoe on, but was a pretty quick transition other than that.

Bike shoes off on bike!
Run
  • 21m 45s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran out of transition and headed up a steep grassy knoll while trying not to get attached by a flock of geese, then headed down the hill trying not to slip and fall in the rainy conditions. Kept thinking to myself when is she coming...my legs were not turning over as fast as I wanted them too..and at about the half way point Donna came charging by. I was hoping there was no one too close behind her! Ran through the first patch of sand, then over a few bridges and rounded the corner before heading into the finish. At this point I looked back and could see a woman in the distance. I ran as hard as I could so that she would not catch me while also taking care not to fall on my face in the deep sand and rocks we had to pass in order to get to the finish.

Need to learn to run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on and said congrats to the other finishers. Chatted quite a bit with Donna - she is so nice and a true inspiration!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to improve my run -this will be a main goal for the fall and 2010. Transitions could also be improved.

Event comments:

Here is a link to the local paper article: http://www.greenwichtime.com/localsports/ci_12980029

They had nice cash prizes AND gift certificates to Gingerman :)

Last updated: 2009-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 880 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/184
Overall: 0/184
Performance: Average
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: sort of square?
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:00 | 14.2 miles | 21.85 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: very hilly and technical course, also it started raining about 3 miles into the course so conditions were slick.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:21:45 | 03 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Course: Mainly a trail run, with sections in sand.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Subject: THREADS & TREADS GREENWICH CUP TRIATHLON

2009-08-04 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2324485

User image

Subject: RE: THREADS & TREADS GREENWICH CUP TRIATHLON

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great piece in the press.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » THREADS & TREADS GREENWICH CUP TRIATHLON Rss Feed