General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon (Intermediate) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon (Intermediate) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Trumansburg, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 45m 11s
Overall Rank = 65/191
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and took a shower. Woke my wife up then went downstairs for a bowl of oatmeal, piece of toast with peanut butter and cup of coffee. Back up stairs to finished getting dressed and heard it start pouring outside. Started hoping that this didn't turn into a du. Put the bike on the car in the rain, loaded up the rest of the car and made a second cup of coffee to go.

Got up to the race and parked and helped our friend Kelly who was on my wife's relay team get her bike tires pumped up. Grabbed my gear and then went to get body marked before going into transition. Went into transition and got set up. Brought a plastic bag with me because of the rain so I placed both my running shoes and my bike shoes in. Everything was good but I forgot my bike computer in the car so my wife ran back to get it.

Spent some time before the race hanging out with my wife and her relay team and my friend Dan. Also met twinracer and talked with wsolt.
Event warmup:

Not much except walking back and forth to the car for different things. Got in the water quick to get wet and swam about 20 yards max.
Swim
  • 30m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start was a lot more congested then the swim at Keuka. Took me a while to get some space. The first length was against the waves and current. Seemed to take a long time to get out to the turn. Swallowed some water once and had to stop to cough it out. Probably the only real problem I had on the swim was swimming straight. I swam into the bouys a couple of times. After the turn, the swim was a lot easier. No waves in the face and with the waves and current. Never really felt tired during the swim. At the sprint turnaround, I noticed that I was swimming near wsolt. He and I swam next to each other for the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get better at swimming straight. If I could breath better on my right side, I could have been looking at the bouys the whole time which would have helped me to swim straighter.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Was a long run from the water to transition but nice to have a the cheering crowds along the way. Pulled wetsuit off my top while running and took off swimcap and goggles. My wife followed me to transition and was talking to me a bit. Felt relaxed and calm. Put socks and shoes on then put race belt on, glasses on and helmet on. Ran out of transition with bike and got on bike at mount line.

Not too much. I think I just need to practice a little more to get faster. The last time I did T1 was at the Keuka tri...no practice since then.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 24s
  • 24.45 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Took about 15 seconds too long getting my first shoe clipped into the pedal but once I got it in, the other went in fast. Started off with foggy sunglasses. About the time that the glasses cleared, around mile 5, it started to rain. Rained constantly for the remainder of the race. I didn't have the straw for the Never Reach set up properly so I spent a lot of time fiddling with it during the beginning of the race. Almost ran off the road once. Once I got it set up, sipped constantly on it during the race and drank about 12 ounces of orange Gatorade from my water bottle. Felt good the whole time. Although the first climb was rough, it was not too bad. Got passed by plenty of folks and did some passing myself during the ride. Road conditions were pretty good. There were lots of nice folks that were sitting outside their houses cheering on the riders, super nice considering it was raining. Passed a guy who was bent over his bike which was down on the ground. Slowed down to see if he was OK - he had a broken chain. Nothing I could do to help that and he wasn't hurt so I carried on. Bike computer died around mile 15 probably from the rain so I had nothing to gage speed or distance. There were distance markers on the road which helped. Around mile 23 twinracer passed me and I yelled to him that it was about time he passed me. He later reminded me that I had a 20 minute head start on him!! Finished the ride on the nice down hill at 30+ mph and cruised into transition.

Overall this ride felt really good. I was glad to have done the practice ride on the route in July to be familiar with the ride. I think I just need more ride time to get my pace up a bit. Hills continue to be my weakness...just need to ride more hills! Should have set the Never Reach straw before getting to transition (had it off the bike for the ride up) to minimize the fiddling at the beginning of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Was a little slower than I expected but again did some talking with my wife as I was going. Sneakers were dry since I had them in a plastic bag but socks were soaked. Went with it anyway since I knew my shoes would be soaked shortly too. Left the sunglasses behind...they were hard to see out of and with a shady run, they would have been worthless.

Again, need practice here. I know I can do better than that. Wet conditions didn't help.
Run
  • 51m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt tired and heavy from the start. Just couldn't get them going. Aerobically, I felt pretty good, just couldn't get the legs moving faster. Passed plenty of people and got passed by several. Not sure of my split because I wasn't too good at hitting the lap button on my watch during the whole race. Not crazy about a 2 loop course but it was nice seeing my wife and friends at the turn. Got to see my wife starting her 10K as I wsa finishing my second lap.

I think that I needed some more long distance runs. My longest run in the 2 months before the race was 8 miles. Need to go longer more often and get used to running with tired legs. This was the only part of the race where I wasn't too happy with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some of the food available and drank some water and Gatorade. Waited at the turn to cheer on my wife and then watched wsolt finish. Hung out with friends and then moved to the finish to see my wife. Saw Dexter come in and said hello. Hung out for the awards ceremony. Saw twinracer pick up his first place medal and then watched my wife's relay team get their 2nd place award.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt good everywhere except the run. I think I need to log some longer runs in preparing for this distance. Swim and bike are coming along and feel like I will make progress there over time.

Event comments:

Very well run race. Considering the weather and a lot of people showing up late, everything still got started on time. Transition area was well run. Give aways were nice (long sleeve tech tee and a pint glass). Course was in good condition for what was within their control. Great work by the race crew, volunteers and law enforcement! Recommend this race to anyone who wants a challenging bike.

Last updated: 2009-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 58/191
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 2
Course: Out and back swim clock wise around the bouy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:24 | 24.45 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/23
Overall: 87/191
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back loop on Rt 89 with a small section that looped down by the lake. 7% grade climb right at the beginning that made it tough and then some rollers after that. Another climb away from the lake that was pretty tough too.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:09 | 06.21 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/23
Overall: 64/191
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops on a 5K course that included running on grass, gravel and trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-05 6:48 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon (Intermediate)

2009-08-05 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2330589

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Cayuga Lake Triathlon (Intermediate)

Great race for you. 

Yes, ITC runs a tight show and I don't mind the drive up there to go do a race that is as well organized and supported as that one.

2009-08-07 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
horseheads
awesome report!  if you want any pointers i think i found a few spots that could help you out.  just keep at it and i will run out of time to catch you on the bike!!
2009-08-11 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY

Nice report.  Congrats again.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon (Intermediate) Rss Feed