United States
Cazenovia Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 48/210
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Event warmup:

I almost missed the start of the race for one reason or another; I was talking with my family watching the intermediate people swim when I heard "Last call for (my wave)". Woops... Got in the water and was then told that it would be another 3 minutes until the start.
Swim
  • 12m 49s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the front row on the far left side. Went out pretty aggressively but nothing too hard and settled in to a good pace out to the first buoy.

Rounding the first buoy, I get stuck in between to big guys with no room to navigate. I pop my head up for a sec and BAM I get smacked in the face right across the goggles. I reset my goggles and immediately think of retaliating; by now he's about five yards ahead of me and moving quickly... I start to catch him and settle on drafting, it's a race after all. I might have touched his feet a little more than necessary, though =p
What would you do differently?:

Not get punched in the face!
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

T! worked better this time; I wore a loose fitting jersey which was easier to put on. Ran with my shoes (easy in a grass transition area) and got a boost from the volunteer at the mounting area. Immediately after I clip in the guy in front of me almost goes down, forcing me off the path to the left and through gravel. Ew! I got lucky and no popped tire. As I'm getting up to speed my right foot wasn't clipped in properly so it popped out and I kicked my front tire pretty hard. That was scary, but I managed to stay up somehow... I pressed 'start' on my Garmin.

Clip in properly...

Bike
  • 48m 37s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got clipped in, things were good. I got to the hill climb which is at the first hill, so close to the start of the bike it's not worth hammering at the expense of the other (plentiful) hills.

Up ridge road was great, I got some serious speed going over the little rollers and manages to pick off a few riders. I flew down the big descent and managed to take the 'sharp' turn at the bottom with very little braking.

Turning on to East Lake road for the haul back and I realized that it would be harder than usual; there was a strong wind coming from the South, and I was seven miles directly North of the transition area, and several hundred feet below it.

The climbs themselves aren't too bad, but pushing them wasn't an attractive option. They are long and numerous, not a huge grade but a demoralizing one.

I'm slogging up a hill and I drift too far to the right - oops, the shoulder is gravel but looks the same as the pavement on the road. I almost went down, luckily I caught myself. My fault for not paying close enough attention...

I didn't really see many other riders out on the course. It kind of creeps me out, racing with 200 other people and then only seeing a handful during the race. Where did they go?

Last year I did the Intermediate course and was 1mph faster on average; maybe because of the conditions, or maybe because I didn't push as hard this year. I'm not sure so I'm calling it a wash.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

My feet came out of shoes easily and I made the sharp downhill turn into the park without major issues. Took me two tries to get my feet into my running shoes because they got wet running in the grass. No biggie - not to much to screw up and I did it better than most.

Exited the transition area (at the bottom) which was nice, I actually had a great transition spot without realizing it.

Dunno...
Run
  • 26m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out up the hill and out of the park. I started to see the top finishers come in as I was running the first mile. I see my fiancee and then I see cusetri! We yell something at each other and continue on. I got pretty confused, there is nobody running the same direction as me. I get a 'water' from the first water station, and dump it on my head. I hear the volunteers saying 'oh no!' and I realize I just dumped sports drink all over myself. Yay~

So I get to the turnaround and I get a better picture of what was happening; I was in front of a lot of people. I'm not used to that, hence my confusion. I picked it up a little bit for the run back, which was largely downhill. At the high school, 400 yards from the finish, I picked it up again to a sub-7 pace, only to get passed with 100 yards left by a young girl on a relay team.

~
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed some food and ran into Xan and Cusetri. Said hi and headed back to the house for brunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My race strategy was to keep it fun and not push terribly hard. Which is great for recovery but is not so competitive... I've been a little burnt out lately, so less training than planned and lower expectations for performance in the race. Considering it all, I did a good job.

Event comments:

1. The race website listed the race start time as 8:45, and at packed pickup I was told the start would be at 8:30. I don't want to miss a race! This wasn't consistent last year either... At one point before the race, the domain name expired and the course website was down for a week.

2. The exit/entry to the park is on a steep grade. Lined with spectators on either side, with cones down the middle. There isn't much room for error! My fans reported many people slipping either when they mounted their bikes or were entering/exiting the transition area on the run.

Last updated: 2009-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:49 | 875 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 33/210
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:48:37 | 14.2 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 85/210
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 61/210
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-10 7:58 AM

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Subject: Cazenovia Triathlon

2009-08-10 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2338006

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: Cazenovia Triathlon
nice race Steve!

good seeing you!!! 
2009-08-11 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2338006

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Cazenovia Triathlon
Nice meeting you.

That headwind on the bike sapped a fair bit of my energy, too. Hard to make comparisons year-to-year even on the same course when conditions change so markedly.

Great job and nice RR, too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon Rss Feed