Y-Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 34s
Overall Rank = 402/999
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/44
Pre-race routine:

Out late the night before playing DD for husband and his buddy who was in town to visit. Didn't get to bed at a decent time and not enough sleep. Up at 5:00, had some toast with peanut butter and a banana. Got dressed loaded my stuff into the car and I was off. Got through security on the base and got in line to head onto the hovercraft base and waited.
Checked in and headed down the ramp to set up transition.
Event warmup:

I set up on the wrong rack and had to move, I do this all the time, I need to measure twice and cut once.

Met up with Ann Marie and her friends Kelly and Lori. We had a nice chat and hung out on the beach while we waited for our waves to go off. Lori and I headed down to the water to get a feel for the surf and then I was off.
Swim
  • 15m 33s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took off feeling really good about the race, the bouy looked a little further than I remembered but no big deal. I hit the surf and my goggles wouldn't hold a seal at all, they filled. The rubber seal broke. From that point I was just trying to keep my eyes closed and not get sand or salt water in my contacts. I was all over the course on my way to the first bouy, it was pretty funny. I was left, then right and just trying to find the big yellow bouy. I finally made the first turn and caught the feet of a woman in front of me and held on for the remainder of the race. This was the best drafting I had ever done in a race but I wasted tons of time trying to get to the first bouy.
What would you do differently?:

Toss the broken goggles and wear a new pair with an actual seal.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

T1 went fairly well. I was ticked that the swim had taken so long and I let it get to me a little to much, surprisingly I was in and out in my fastest T1 time ever. This was my first race without socks and it went well. It cut nearly a minute off my T1 time. Perhaps this is something I should consider in future sprints.

Nothing, this went really well
Bike
  • 1h 04m 8s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went fairly well. I had some lower back from olympic lifting on Monday, note to self discontinue lifting 2 weeks before Ironman. Pushed hard on the rollers and climbed the hills really well.

Push a little harder and not let 3rd place pass on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Came into T2 and ran to the wrong rack again. I need to work on this, this is the second time I've made this mistake while racing. I ran up to what I thought was my towel and my shoes were gone, as was my wetsuit and bag, I almost freaked and then saw my rack and ran around. Off will the helmet on with the running shoes, again no socks and off I go.

Run to the correct rack.
Run
  • 25m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well. Finally a leg I was happy with. I was over last years race time so I just relaxed and worked on form, it paid off because I finished 7 seconds faster this year. I'll take it. About a mile from the finish I could feel a blister on my big toe, I hung on and worked on my kick and form and pushed to the finish passing one person in my age group in the last mile (woo hoo).

I'm not sure about going sockless especially with all the sand. I'll have to think about this one.
Post race
Warm down:

Marine took my chip I grabbed some water and an orange slice then headed back to the run where I saw Ann Marie heading by. I walked down to transition and packed up, I had a baby shower to cohost at 2:00 so it was home for a quick shower, lunch and load all the goodies into the truck.

I'll be honest. I was really unhappy with my performance and was expecting better. The reality is I did fine but I expected a certain performance from me and didn't deliver. I need to not be as hard on myself. I did really well and should be proud. I need to start playing the mental game, IM is going to be totally mental and I need to stay with it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a few issues with gear and navigational errors all of I can fix and I really should have been in bed by 9:00 rather than hanging out with the boys the night before.

I can't let bad performaces get in my head. I learned a lot from this race. June Lake was physicially hard, this race got in my head (and shouldn't have). Time to start really getting my head in the game.

Event comments:

I will do this race every year. The Marines do an amazing job and nothing is better than a 60 dollar entry fee. There really aren't a lot of pre or post race events, fine by me. It's a great race and I'll be back.

Last updated: 2009-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:33 | 500 yards | 03m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/44
Overall: 0/999
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: C shaped course keeping bouys on your right
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:04:08 | 18.64 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/44
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, fairly flat course, 200 ft climb to turn around and then back to transition.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:20 | 03.11 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/44
Performance: Good
Course: Run around the base
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-11 12:28 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon

2009-08-11 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2340527

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon
It was great to meet you and read your take on the race.  You are AMAZING!  I ran to the wrong rack after the swim.  I knew I was on 11 but I still ran to 10.  At first I paniced and thought someone took my bike.  Then I figured it out.  ha ha! 
2009-08-11 10:25 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Good job. Nice race report. Always fun to find a well run race.
2009-08-12 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Ha! I totally ran to the wrong rack on my last tri (dunno what I was thinking!), and then to top it off, I ran the wrong direction out of T2... but that was because I was a dummy and didn't check before the race to see where I was supposed to go.

Nice job drafting!  That's a super smart move with navigational issues.  I've just decided that I'm gonna keep my goggles in the hard plastic case they come in since I keep killing the rubber seal by throwing them in my bag with no case - those seals crack or perforate really easy when they get stuff piled on em and I've gone through 2 pair already this year alone!
2009-08-15 7:29 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Sounds like this was still a great race in that you learned alot about your strengths (resourcefulness being one) and where you want to improve. Your times were great by this BTer's standards.  Give yourself some credit girl!!!  Strong work!
2009-08-30 2:35 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Sucks about the goggles! You were in the mix, I like those kind of races, there were some fast bike splits and runs. Great t-1 &T-2. You almost had it for the podium! Getem next time!

2009-08-30 4:12 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Good job! 

Swimming with contacts is such  challenge, when the goggles break it's double the challenge.  Awesome job hanging on those feet! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed