General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your recovery like post-IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-16 10:16 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: What's your recovery like post-IM?
I did Lake Placid as my first IM. Can't say I "raced" it. Had an enjoyable race - still had had alot in the tank afterwards. Now I'm starting to look towards fall marathon.

I took one whole week off completely. Second week I had a couple short, easy runs and a very easy paced 10miler. Third week I got in a couple 8 mile runs, then went for a longer run yesterday and had absolutely nothing from the get-go!! I assume this is to be expected but it surprised me since the other runs seemed ok. Some people told me not to worry for an entire month.

How did you feel getting back into training? When did you feel fully recovered?

2009-08-16 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2351360

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: What's your recovery like post-IM?
I did an HIM a couple weeks ago and I'm struggling with what you are feeling as well.  I just don't feel quite "myself" yet.  (I only took 2 days off and did easy workouts for the first week.)  I just don't seem to have the power I had before.

I'm looking forward to what others have to say.
2009-08-16 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I did IMCdA 6/21 and my recovery was a little unusual.  First, it included a trip to the urgent care center and orthopedics appointments to deal with the broken collarbone (which also forced a hiatus from swimming and cycling).  Second, we had about 2500 miles to drive in the week following the race and walking at Yellowstone. 

The first 2-3 days post race I felt pretty good.  My legs were a little sore, but all-in-all, I felt pretty good (keep in mind that my run was more of a jog/shuffle/walk than the "run" I'd prepared for).  By late in the week, I was definitely feeling the fatigue.  I spent another week or two not running or anything and resumed some short runs (3-5 miles) in the last half of July.  I've done some longer runs this month (13-14 miles) and would say I've "recovered."  Pace is dictated more by the weather than my fatigue or fitness. 

2009-08-16 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
I did IMLP with you and I was wondering the same thing. We had driven up from FL to do the race and then vacationed for another 2 weeks afterwards in which I did not do anything except walk around. The week we got home I went out and did a couple 5-6 mile runs and a couple 1-2 hour bike rides and my legs felt fatigued. I went out for an 9 mile run today and had to run-walk the last 3 miles because I was beat. The heat/humidity down here is not helping things either. For some reason I signed up for the Beach to Battleship iron distance race on Nov. 7, 2009 and I hope I start feeling better soon. Training right now is not fun.
2009-08-16 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Broad Brook
I also raced L.P. For me the run was mostly a walk the last 15 miles which I think helped my recovery time. I took the first week off completly then did some very easy bike and swims. I feel pretty good I have been doing some bricks nothing long. I think post IM is more mental than physical this year I will be racing the Great Floridian so I have another goal to strive for last year after L.P. I wanted to just be a couch potatoe. I read that it can take 6-8 weeks to completly recover. good luck
2009-08-16 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran

I heard somewhere that as a rule of thumb, you need one day of recovery for each mile that you race.  That's for running.

If that's true, it seems you'd need at least a month to fully recover from an ironman.

2009-08-16 9:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Maybe read this thread from those who did IMCDA.
2009-08-17 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Many coaches believe in a minimum of a month before running at all.

I think I did some swimming...but really didn't do ANYTHING else for at least a month.
2009-08-19 7:22 PM

User image

Cedar Park
I heard a general rule in one of my classes in college was for every hour you race it takes a one total day off for your body to totaly recover.  12 hr Ironman = 12 days totaly off.  That includeds getting your body chemistry right, muscle, and soft tissue re-hab.  If you do anything before then you slow the recovery process.  Remember you need to rest just as hard as you train. 
2009-08-20 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
I felt pretty good the week after IMFL.  So good that I signed up for a marathon in early December.  To date that's my only DNF.  Got halfway through and I was hurting pretty bad.  Walked back to the finish, had a few beers and went home.
2009-08-20 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I feel that the worst mistake someone can make after doing an IM is doing absolutely nothing for any amount of time.  Wether you won it or came in at 16:59:59 I recommend at most taking one day off and then getting in the pool.

Nice EASY sets just to get your body moving and get those joints back to normal.  There is a big difference between getting recovery workouts in and working out.  For me, I anticipate my post IM week to be like this:
Mon - Rest
Tues - Swim easy (1000ish)
Wed - Swim easy (1200ish)
Thurs - Bike small ring only easy (30 min)
Fri - Swim easy & bike easy (30ish min each)
Sat - Bike easy (45 min)
Sun - Easy bike or short EASY flat run.

But what ever you do, do not just sit on your couch and do nothing for weeks.  I think that spells disaster.

2009-08-22 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
I'd say 4-5 weeks for me after coeur d'alene.  I've successfully gotten back into difficult training for an olympic and a 70.3 in august and sept.  I wrote this on my blog after the race:

Week 1:
The soreness slowly subsided and by the weekend, I wanted to work out. I felt lazy. I thought I could put in an easy 8-10 miles with my friends and it would be no big deal. Saturday I swam and realized just how bad my legs were. They were useless despite no longer feeling sore throughout the day. Sunday I didn't have my bike, so I tried to run. I wised up and thought I would be conservative and do JUST 3 miles. Wow. Wrong again. 1 slow painful mile later, I was walking, stretching, walking backwards and just basically praying to have my legs again. I decided not to run for at least a few more days.
Week 2:
I finally calmed down and began to enjoy the fact that I should be resting and enjoying my accomplishment. I realized that doing more right now would only set me back later in the season. I lightly swam and water ran, took several days completely off, and tried to run again at the end of the week. Bad again. My hamstrings had suddenly become exceedingly sore. It was strange, my quads were horrible at first and now, about 8-9 days after ironman, my hamstrings started to feel like glue. They felt like they could tear apart at any moment. I began to be concerned about my sprint race planned for next weekend but tried to keep the faith that I was healing more every day.
Week 3:
I had my first decent run on Sunday, exactly 2 weeks post ironman. I ran 5 miles under 8 minute pace and it was harder than normal, but I could do it. I slept a lot this weekend. I felt like I had been hit by a truck I was so fatigued. I slept 3-4 hours during the day and then a full 9-10 hours at night. Sleeping was my training! I worked out lightly every day this week in preparation for my race but my legs still felt achy mid week.
Somehow I pulled out a decent race at the BFAST. I had a strong swim but began to feel my legs on the bike. Although I could ride a decent pace, my legs had a definite limit that I could not push past. The run was hot and painful. I couldn't keep my pace down and I began to crash and burn with each mile. Luckily it was only a 3 mile run
My splits:
Swim: 8:11 (1/4 mile, always off the mark on the true distance)
Bike: 36:00 (14 miles, ave 23.33)
Run: 21:52 (7:03 ave, 3.1 miles)
(I did this race as a heart rate test to set up my training for the rest of the summer)

Week 4:
I'm finally starting to feel that I have some legs. My workouts are still recovery but I'm doing more, getting more time in, and starting to feel more like myself. It feels really good to get back to training and I'm excited to get my first long rides in again tomorrow and Sunday. There is so much I've learned from Ironman, and the final piece has been learning to have patience with my body as it heals from a race this intense.
2009-08-24 11:12 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am about 3 weeks out from Vineman.  I didn't sit on the couch, but didn't do much sportwise the first two weeks.  This week I did some 30 min runs a couple 1 hour bikes and a 2 hour bike.  I have been working on my yard alot (read trenching through rock for a french drain, moving 4 dumptruck loads of dirt by wheelbarrel for landscaping) and such.  The first week I was spent doing anything.  The second week I still had to really pace myself.  The third week I can go longer, still pace myself some, but still can get really tired if I overdue it.  A 2 hour bike ride is no problem, but if I also move dirt for 3 hours ... ya I get tired.  I feel that for the short stuff I am alright, but I haven't gone long at all.  This week will be another short distance week and then we will see how things feel on week 5.  

As far as a next race goes, I am still on the fence.  Until I get some longer workouts in and see how I feel I do not want to commit to anything.  I am thinking about a mary in January, but I don't think I would be ready anytime before then for it.  It might be fun to throw in a sprint or an Oly in about 6-10 weeks from now or something lite like that.  

For now I am with you in Limboland.     
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your recovery like post-IM? Rss Feed