United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 11s
Overall Rank = 2/9
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm at around 6:25 - it was so nice staying at the host hotel right outside of transition. Took my time getting ready and headed out to pick up my packet/set up transition around 6:50. Right before walking to the duathlon start, Kirk accidentally reset my wheel size on my crappy bike computer and so he quickly looked up the right size (mm or something) on the phone to reset the computer. That was fun... :)
Event warmup:

Light stretching at the starting line and looking at ages on peoples legs - I don't so much do a warmup. :)
Run
  • 24m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out way to fast, as everyone took off (faster than I have seen any my past duathlons). Quickly noticed that my Garmin was set on Bike - doh! Hit stop and tried to just hit mode to switch to run, but it wouldn't work. I was going to just leave it alone, but I knew I was running to fast. Turned it off, back on and got the mode to switch, hit start again. Phew, now I can pace myself a little better. Hit the first mile marker and hit split to get back on track with my averages. At almost 2 miles I looked at my watch again and realized it still said the same think - oops, guess I hit stop instead of lap! Started it again, but it was pretty worthless at that point and I just tried to keep pushing as much as I could. Thought I was going to die going up the last hill to transition, but made it alive. :)
What would you do differently?:

Other than make sure I had my watch set correctly, nothing (I did look at my watch before the start - I just didn't realize what I was seeing). This was only about 10 seconds off my open 5K pace, so I'm very happy with the time.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Fastest split overall female - 4th fastest including guys. Got in and out, while trying to catch my breath a tiny bit. Ran out and tried to avoid the newbies who were all over the place. Getting clipped in a guy swerved almost into me, so it took a little longer than normal getting going on the bike.

Not much - pretty good. Could have moved a little faster, though.
Bike
  • 39m 39s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I was 7th on the bike, including guys - not bad. After so many disappointing bike performances this year, I just decided to hammer this as much as I could and hope to get close to 20mph. I just pushed as hard as I could sustain and tried not to let up. I caught the 1st place female about halfway (I didn't know she was first at the time) and we played leapfrog the rest of the race. I tried, but could NOT drop her! :) Did a very fast (maybe a little too fast) flying dismount and ran into transition - just about running over some guy taking his time into transition. :)

Nothing - very happy with this effort, particularly with the small amount of time I've spent on the bike over the past few months.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Here's where I looked a total newbie! :) I ran into transition, got to the rack and went to the end where my stuff should have been. There was a relay guy standing there chatting with his friends on the other side of the fence and basically shoved him out of the way -- before I noticed I was one rack too far...stupid! I apologized, ducked under the rack and went to mine. Definately lost some time here, but switched back to running shoes quickly and apologized to the guy again on the way out.

Uh - pick the right rack! :)
Run
  • 26m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Exactly the same placement as Run #1. Ran out of transition and immediately felt the cement-heavy feeling in my legs that I expected. Worried that I pushed too hard on the bike, but I also know that my legs feel 10x worse on the second run of a du than they feel in a tri. Tried to just turn my feet over as fast as they would allow. A minute or so into the run, the girl I had been playing leapfrog with on the bike runs by me FAST - huh? She finished a little ahead of me, so I was surprised to see her come from behind. I knew there was no chance I was staying with her, so I just focused on my race and keeping moving. I wanted to walk SO BADLY, but I know how much more time I lose walking instead of just running slowly (which is usually not as slow as it feels).

I did walk for a few seconds through both water stops, because my mouth was so dry and I have a hard time really getting good water in running. Running up the last hill to transition I was trying to convince myself to run faster, but it wasn't happening. Coming around the corner I heard Kirk and Doug yelling my name and somehow found the energy to pick it up a little. The finish line is tricky to get speed as you keep turning corners and I was so happy to finally cross the finish line.

Find faster legs off the bike - I haven't really done any brick practice in the last few months, so that's my own fault. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked into transition and chatted with the other girl who finished (didn't realize she was the only other female duathlete who had finished) for a few minutes then found Kirk and Doug. When they told me I was probably 2nd, I was shocked!

Went back to the room and showered, then walked to the restaurant for breakfast (included in our room price), then stood around forever still waiting on results. They finally had to move the tables of awards over to the parking lot behind the van that had the results computers. They must have had some technical issues and weren't able to print the results. They read the awards from the computer screen.

Looking back, this is one of the best mental races I have had - I talked myself into going faster throughout the race when I wanted a break.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More brick training needed and probably more bike training. :)

Event comments:

This is my favorite sprint race and has been for years. It's the perfect size and a great fast course. I wish the awards for tri & du were given out together (similar to tri the parks races), but that's a small gripe. Great race - highly recommended!

Last updated: 2009-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:09 | 03.11 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 4/9
Performance: Good
Course: Y shaped course - mainly flat with a few rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:39:39 | 13.6 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Overall: 1/9
Wind: Little
Course: Big circle - flat to rolling with lots of turns. This is my favorite short course bike course, very fast and fun!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:44 | 03.11 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Overall: 4/9
Course: Same as Run #1
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-16 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Georgia Veterans Duathlon

2009-08-16 4:35 PM
in reply to: #2351529

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Georgia Veterans Duathlon

Great race and hardware!

Duathlons sound like they hurt.

2009-08-16 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

Awesome race! You had smokin' times! I saw you briefly before the race but didn't see you again. Hopefully we'll bump in to each other again soon.

2009-08-17 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Fast race!  Great job with the mental toughness.  Congratulations on the hardware.
2009-08-17 12:05 PM

User image

Master

Great race!  You should come and ride the Roswell Ride and do bricks with us!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgia Veterans Duathlon Rss Feed