General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
27C / 81F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 41s
Overall Rank = 316/361
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up & got ready. Bowl of oatmeal & some zucchini bread on the go. Daughter was - as usual - a challenge to get dressed. Started running late and then... hubby pumped up bike tires only to discover flat front tire - couldn't tell if it was the pump or the tire. At this point we're a full 1/2 hour late so just threw everything in the car & figured we'd sort it out on the island. I arrived at the ferry & only relay racers (last wave) were there. One girl lent me her pump & it worked! Yeah! Literally ran to transition & threw my wetsuit on & rushed to the water getting someone to zip me up on the way. Here I had thought I'd arrive early enough to have a practice swim... :S
Event warmup:

Mad dash to the starting line!
Swim
  • 20m 12s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Basically just ran down the beach, waded to the start line and 30 seconds later the horn sounded. Felt strong at first and got bumped and banged a lot. Made my way to the first buoy feeling good but then started to feel cramps in my toes of right foot. Managed to draft off a girl for quite some time while trying to work out the cramps but then she started swimming off track. Kept a steady pace for the remainder of the race with this girl beside me. Was good because it didn't allow me to slack off. Sighted well and kept on course Yeah! Cramps moved into my other foot and felt like I was kicking with deformed feet.
What would you do differently?:

Arrive early enough to warm up a bit. No clue re foot cramps...
I should have swam closer to the shore - walked once I hit shallow ground but I'm thinking that's slower than actual swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

I had my wetsuit half off the second I hit the beach but as usual got it stuck around my ankles again!!

Water was so warm I should have skipped the wetsuit altogether.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 36s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 17.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Could barely get my feet into my socks & shoes they were so cramped up! First part of the course had a no passing zone and this poor girl was peddling so hard (but had gear in small ring) yet moving so slowly so there was a huge line behind her and once the no passing zone ended people were flying! My goal was to finish the ride in an hour so I'm happy. By the third loop it was getting pretty boring.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Run
  • 52m 33s
  • 4.66 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I *totally* thought this was a 7km run so when my Garmin chimed in at 7km I started cursing the race organizers for inaccurate measurement. Then I started panicking that maybe I shouldn't have done one part of the course twice! It wasn't until the race was done that while chatting with a relay team I was advised it was 7.5km! I didn't have high expectations with my run. Hurt my thigh muscle during a training run and while on bike realized crampy feet would be an issue. As it turns out this was my personal worst. I get nervous running on grass - always afraid I'll twist an ankle or something so I took it pretty slow. Oh well...another time another race.

Run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Had some grapes, chatted with some racers and headed to the ferry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe time management - I'm late for every freaking race !! - and so I never get to warm up but all in all I am pleased with my results. My goal was 20 minute swim (I think I beat that when you take into account the run to transition area) and 1 hr bike (missed by 3 minutes).

Event comments:

I don't know that I'll do this one again. I did the Try-A-Tri last year and the weather/water has always been good but the bike is boring and I hate running on grass. The wait for the return ferry ride is excruciating for me with gear and impatient child. But if you are a speed demon then this is a good race.

Last updated: 2009-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:12 | 750 meters | 02m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/19
Overall: 310/361
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Sleeveless
Course: Triangular course off Hanlan's Point. Exit is a sandy run up to a boardwalk to the transition area. The actual timing mat isn't until you reach the transition area so the run up the beach and along the boardwalk is included in your swim time vs T1.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:03:36 | 18.64 miles | 17.58 mile/hr
Overall: 301/361
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat looped 3 x 10km course across the islands.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:33 | 04.66 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 313/361
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 x 3.75km looped course along the roads and park trails. A lot of it was running over grass - some parts sand.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-16 5:14 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-08-16 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2351802

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Congrats!  Good swim and bike, in spite of the rush and cramps.  I agree, the run is tough, esp for you triathletes.  And on such a hot day, I'd be the 1st to admit I would not have the endurance for the tri distance today.  So kudos to you, beating over 100+ other triathletes on the run, well done! 

Edited by patricia7 2009-08-16 6:22 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed