General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blackland Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-09-05 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2352820

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Blackland Triathlon : Official Thread
Am I the only on sitting on my butt watching college football and wishing the weekend would actually hurry and end(gasp) so Monday will get here?  It's my first so I am overly excited I am sure! Laughing

2009-09-07 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco
Congrats to all who raced today...it was a hot one!
2009-09-07 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2393347

User image

Veteran
Boogie7247 - 2009-09-07 1:22 PM Congrats to all who raced today...it was a hot one!

Ditto!  It was a hot one but man it was FUN! This was my first and the friendly people I came across all day made it that much better.  Congrats to everyone!
2009-09-07 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2393347

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Boogie7247 - 2009-09-07 1:22 PM Congrats to all who raced today...it was a hot one!

The run/walk about did me in.  Thought I was going to have a stroke or something   I probably won't do this tri again though -- no t-shirt, no finishing bling, and no beer left by the time I finished!

I did enjoy watching my daughter complete her first tri though!

2009-09-07 6:52 PM

I enjoyed competing in this triathlon as this was my very first triathlon and it was in my own backyard, only 10 minutes from home and at my home pool. I got a little overheated and have really sore feet but other than that I enjoyed it a lot.
2009-09-07 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco
it was a nice pool.

2009-09-08 8:16 AM

User image

San Antonio, TX
I had a Blast, it was a lil hot by the time you get to the run, but it was still fun... I didnt do to bad either.. ill be doing it again next year fo sho...
2009-09-08 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Had a solid race. Super fast girls were out there today! The swim was fine, only passed 2 people. Bike was fun and had some nice hills thrown in. Run was hot but good.

I'll do it again next year.

2009-09-08 8:08 PM

Congrats to everyone for finishing!  What a great race!  I think that is the best organized event I've been to in a long time.  I can certainly see why they sold out now.

I loved the kids race almost as much as some of the kids out there!  That was great seeing them out there giving their all.  My favorite was the run with the varied terrain and the HEAT!  It really made me give everything I had for sure!

I can't wait to do this race again next year!  Laughing
2009-09-09 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, TX
As a volunteer and spectator, I would say that this race as a long way to go to improve. I do believe that it could be a great event, but needs some help.

1. Swim exit should be NEXT to the door, not having to run along the pool side
2. The above problem also made this not very spectator friendly inside the pool area
3. Also moving the finish line away from the transition line was really weird. I had to direct many, many spectators to walk a quarter mile to the finish line.
4. FINISH LINE: The twist and turns of the final 1k made no sense. Competitors had to dodge spectators walking carelessly along the finish chute and they also had to make sure not to hit the hand rail that protruded out onto the last 10 yards.
5. No event shirt or swag I also heard was a negative reflection

This could be a great tri, just needs to be re-evaluated!

2009-09-09 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2396434

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
TexTriGuy - 2009-09-09 9:35 AM

As a volunteer and spectator, I would say that this race as a long way to go to improve. I do believe that it could be a great event, but needs some help.

2. The above problem also made this not very spectator friendly inside the pool area
3. Also moving the finish line away from the transition line was really weird. I had to direct many, many spectators to walk a quarter mile to the finish line.
4. FINISH LINE: The twist and turns of the final 1k made no sense. Competitors had to dodge spectators walking carelessly along the finish chute and they also had to make sure not to hit the hand rail that protruded out onto the last 10 yards.

This could be a great tri, just needs to be re-evaluated!

1) Yes, the run from the pool was odd. If they made it a 350 meter swim, the swim exit would have been better.

3) I see why they moved it- so the finish line was in a fun place- with the music and food in the amphitheater. But yes, it was a hike.

4) It was hard to figure out WHERE the finish line was exactly and WHEN to kick it in.

5) I got a shirt. My friend got a shirt. It's a nice shirt. I like it! I even got some food goodies in my bag. Most of the races I've done lately- I get NOTHING in my bag. Although, I would have liked to have the EVENT INFORMATION in the bag. I understand they sent it via email to save on paper/waste... but that's really the ONLY thing I CARE about IN my bag.

2009-09-09 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plano,TX

1 & 2. I agree with this. Like Karen said, if they make the swim a 350m, it would put the exit at the end nearest the door and would give more room for spectators to leave the pool area.

3. Pick your battles here. Long walk for spectators and nice finish area, or short walk and crappy finish area. The amphitheater is a cool place to hang out at afterward. Seating for as many as want it, clean restrooms, band, food, beer, etc.

4. I'm fine with the run finish area. There are tons of run courses that have twists and turns, no biggie. We all have to race the same race so it's not as if there is some sort of unfair advantage for anyone. And spectators on the course happen at all races, not just this one.

5. This was only for the people who signed up at the very last minute. The last week or week of I believe. I can understand this. Why print too many shirts and have a ton left over. It's also possible they upped the entries a bit at the last minute and didn't have time to get more shirts printed. I got a nice shirt, a bag full of food items, and a water bottle. Nicest bag I've seen in a while.

2009-09-09 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Frisco
the people and kids at the finish line had me going crazy. move peolple!
2009-09-09 7:32 PM

#1 is logical

#2 Seemed fine to all the spectators that were there for us.  Prevented crowding around the pool so you could see better.

#3 Perhaps the spectators didn't read the maps in advance.  I agree that the finish in the amphitheater was really cool instead of in some lame parking lot which is so typical.

#4  I had no problem with the FINISH LINE ... except with my time to get there. LOL
      I figured when I heard the band it was time to turn on the jets since I knew it ended in the
      amphitheater according to the directions.  Did you get to see the map before going out
      there?

#5  I got my shirt and swag.  I thought the T-Shirt was pretty cool.  You know there are always those guys that wait to the last minute to sign up because they're "Special" and they don't understand why there aren't any shirts left.  When I've been that "Special" person in the past, I always felt appreciative that they made room for me to be in the race.

Wow, it's weird to see people complain about this when I thought this was the best race I had been to in a while.  What races did you experience that were so much better and why?  Are any of them in the next month or two?  I only have time for two more this year.

Last but not least ... I know all of us who ran the race really appreciate all the hard work and time the volunteers put in.  Thanks for being there man!  That's another reason I love about this sport ... overall, the people are pretty cool.
2009-09-09 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

I was one of those people that signed up online the day after the "guarantee" of a shirt -- I had the race on my plan for a long time, just not the money to pay for it yet.  I whined a bit about not getting any swag, but this probably had more to do with me still being in a bad mood because my Sooners lost two days before that   I said I probably wouldn't do this race again, but I'm sure when it comes around again next year I'll still sign up.

The Good:  I Loved the fact that my daughter did her first tri!  She didn't train for it much and wasn't fast at all and struggled in the run, but she loved the feeling of crossing that finish line and getting a medal.  Now she is asking me if there are other youth tri's for her to do and wants to start training for them.  That to me is awesome!

The youth tri is only going to GROW!!  This will make the sprint start even later (and possibly hotter).

2009-09-09 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2397847

User image

Veteran
wkirbytri - 2009-09-09 7:57 PM

I was one of those people that signed up online the day after the "guarantee" of a shirt -- I had the race on my plan for a long time, just not the money to pay for it yet.  I whined a bit about not getting any swag, but this probably had more to do with me still being in a bad mood because my Sooners lost two days before that   I said I probably wouldn't do this race again, but I'm sure when it comes around again next year I'll still sign up.

The Good:  I Loved the fact that my daughter did her first tri!  She didn't train for it much and wasn't fast at all and struggled in the run, but she loved the feeling of crossing that finish line and getting a medal.  Now she is asking me if there are other youth tri's for her to do and wants to start training for them.  That to me is awesome!

The youth tri is only going to GROW!!  This will make the sprint start even later (and possibly hotter).

Kuddos to your daughter. Glad she had a good time and is interested in training.  Following Dad's footsteps perhaps?   I'll be there next year and I will be sure to sign up early enough for the cheap rate!  I'm from Oklahoma so sorry about the Sooners...not too sorry since I'm an OSU fan!  But I have to root for the Big 12 teams so that was a tough loss to watch! 

2009-09-09 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2398014

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TexasHeatRunner - 2009-09-09 9:38 PM
wkirbytri - 2009-09-09 7:57 PM

Kuddos to your daughter. Glad she had a good time and is interested in training.  Following Dad's footsteps perhaps?   I'll be there next year and I will be sure to sign up early enough for the cheap rate!  I'm from Oklahoma so sorry about the Sooners...not too sorry since I'm an OSU fan!  But I have to root for the Big 12 teams so that was a tough loss to watch! 

OSU - nice...

Only real complaint was the swim line up.  It was a little chaotic for me about 150 swimmers in...  Apparently it really came off the hook and went belly up a short time later.  Love'em or hate'em - Jack has some one managing the line up so that number 600 doesn't slide in front of number 400...

Other than that I thought it was a really well run event from top to bottom.  I couldn't believe the number of volunteers on the bike course - seemed like there were two or three volunteers every quarter mile or so...

2009-09-10 6:01 AM
in reply to: #2397801

ok, I freely admit this was a good triathlon. Also one of the better ones I have been to. But like them all there was a coyple of things that surely could have gone better. The biggest one for me since I am one of the slower people is the fact that they took up the timing boxes in the bike portion before mysef and several others finished the bike.

All I ever hear is have fun. How is this fun when you are told you are to slow to matter. Slow people count too. But you are correct, this was a pretty well put together race.
love_the_sport - 2009-09-09 7:32 PM

#1 is logical

#2 Seemed fine to all the spectators that were there for us.  Prevented crowding around the pool so you could see better.

#3 Perhaps the spectators didn't read the maps in advance.  I agree that the finish in the amphitheater was really cool instead of in some lame parking lot which is so typical.

#4  I had no problem with the FINISH LINE ... except with my time to get there. LOL
      I figured when I heard the band it was time to turn on the jets since I knew it ended in the
      amphitheater according to the directions.  Did you get to see the map before going out
      there?

#5  I got my shirt and swag.  I thought the T-Shirt was pretty cool.  You know there are always those guys that wait to the last minute to sign up because they're "Special" and they don't understand why there aren't any shirts left.  When I've been that "Special" person in the past, I always felt appreciative that they made room for me to be in the race.

Wow, it's weird to see people complain about this when I thought this was the best race I had been to in a while.  What races did you experience that were so much better and why?  Are any of them in the next month or two?  I only have time for two more this year.

Last but not least ... I know all of us who ran the race really appreciate all the hard work and time the volunteers put in.  Thanks for being there man!  That's another reason I love about this sport ... overall, the people are pretty cool.
2009-09-10 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2397847

I watched those kids and that was incredible.  Nothing like the bond that builds in the family.  Simply Priceless!  Hope to see you and your daughter there next year or at one of the other races coming up soon.  I'll be there with my little one too.

Sorry to hear about Bradford but I think you guys are still going to do well this year.  Smile
2009-09-10 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, TX
Let me clarify my statements....

1. I volunteered for both the kids and adult tri - my view point was based on just that and nothing else (like racing).
2. The swim thing is an easy fix. Not the biggest fan of letting a group of the production company's training group go first (understand the VIP nature of it though).
3. Still not a fan of the finish line. If the finish line was just outside the theater that would have been great and you could still have the party on the inside. The narrow walkway to the finish line was the main reason for the multiple racer / spectator.
4. T-shirt: fine understand

As for great sprint races in the area based on course alone!

1. Take on the Heat
2. Stonebridge Ranch Tri
3. St. Pats (great course when its not 20 degrees out)
4. Old College Tri (last year's course)
5. Disco
2009-09-10 10:36 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Timing boxes? Do you mean the timing mats? I'm not sure what you mean... timing boxes being taken up.????

Please explain.

I'm sorry that happened to you (whatever IT was- as I'm still confused). Having been at the BOP at races, I can tell you that while we are out there to have fun... it's still hard... the crowds thin, the food is gone, etc. I certainly feel for the BOP people, since I've been there myself!!!!

2009-09-11 12:39 AM
in reply to: #2400147

KSH - 2009-09-10 10:36 PM

Timing boxes? Do you mean the timing mats? I'm not sure what you mean... timing boxes being taken up.????

Please explain.

I'm sorry that happened to you (whatever IT was- as I'm still confused). Having been at the BOP at races, I can tell you that while we are out there to have fun... it's still hard... the crowds thin, the food is gone, etc. I certainly feel for the BOP people, since I've been there myself!!!!

yes the timing mats. the yellow timing boxes that beep when you cross them and mats. I do not know the proper term for them. Just venting a bit do not mean anything bad to anyone.

I know these races are hard, that's why i continue to do them. They have been a huge part of my rehab. It just seems odd to me that since it was so organized that something like that would happen. I know mistakes are made, lordy knows i have made a few.

Again, just venting did not mean any harm.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blackland Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4