General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
JMC Partners
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 26s
Overall Rank = 206/
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there Saturday afternoon for the expo and registration with my mom. Got the bike off the rack and it looks like there was a staple that went in and out of my back tire that gave me a flat. not sure when it happened but it did. Took the bike over the shop repairing a bunch of stuff and just had them take a look at it and go over it and replace the tube. No big deal. got registered and then met up with schmize and the fam, and me and schmize went for a swim while i watched him do circles around me in the lake. Went to dinner that night in a place in the hotel that was really good. was with coredump and whizzz too.
Event warmup:

got up at about 4ish and had a cup of coffee as i usually do. had a banana too. schmize me and my mom got dropped off by my dad and headed into the transition area to get setup. ended up doing a little 5 or so min run to hit up the port-a-potty down the road since no one was there at that point. got back and it was time to get the wetsuit on head to the start since i was the first wave, again!
Swim
  • 31m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was the one thing that i knew i wasnt going to have as much success in previous events. I havent swam much at all, only twice since SOR. But i knew this so i knew my arms were probably going to be tired and not perform as well as the usual. Started off rough, and schmize warned me that be careful when getting in the water because of the drop off that my goggles might pop off, and they did. I tried to fix them the first 200 m or so, got most of the water out but still a tiny bit, wasnt enough to stop me so just DTFU and kept going. I found a couple people to draft but was in the middle where the fast people were gone, and the slow were way behind. I got some good drafting from the wave behind me, could have been coredump or schmize for all i know! My navigation was good this time for once, i felt like i did much better at keeping straight. Just did the best i could here and hoped to make up for time loss on the bike and run.
What would you do differently?:

Train!
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

This went good. I had to run a ways with the bike, but i chose to do so with the spot i took. Everything went smooth there, no complaints
Bike
  • 1h 12m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.49 mile/hr
Comments:

This started off great, my legs felt good coming from the swim, and my HR wasnt too high at all. I got to the beginning of the loop, about 2 or 3 miles out, and i was riding harder than i needed, looked back, i got a flat! SOB! I was pissed, but tried to stay calm and just quick change it. I wanted to make sure that there was no staple in it cuz i wasnt trusting the bike crew that fixed it saturday at this point. there was no staple, must have hit it just right. Back tires suck too to fix so theres another bummer. Also...when i put the bike down, not thinking, layed it the wrong way and my whole aero bottle emptied out with my drink. GREAT! Now all i have is one water bottle to get through and no rehydrate drink! Super. So now im pissed. I got it fixed and just started booking it. I was angry, so used it for good use. I know i went too hard on the bike here but im not disappionted, i needed to make up the best i could. I felt this was one of my best races rides i have had. I sprinted every hill, not much hills, and the legs felt good. I knew i would pay for it on the run, but DTFU. Came in strong, passed a lot of people who passed me while i was changing the tire so that felt really good.

Not get a flat! This was a good bike considering only water. The nutrition plan went into the capper here. Looked back, my bike on my computer was 1:08:39. That is a 21.7 mph. I like that better!

Flats happen...
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

This was a good transition. Nothing here to talk about, another long run with the bike to the rack, but race start was 10ft away, pros and cons.
Run
  • 48m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This started off bad again when i hit .5 miles out, i forgot my gels. Coming in flustered from the bike, i forgot my nutrition, again the plan is gone pooof. So i knew here i needed to stop at every aid station and fuel with gatorade and water and get as much calories as possibe even if it is liquid form. Run was good to start, but it got hot. I ran by schmize and coredump at about mile .75 for me. They were looking strong, but coredump was in the lead at this point. My legs were good and foot was fine, HR was way too high! I tried to keep it down but again i knew from the bike it was going to be hard to do that. DTFU. I just decided to stay at my pace around 8'. I stopped at every aid station to fuel up and then took off. I knew it would slow me down a little bit, but i needed to. At about mile 4 i stopped and hit up the portapotty which felt good. i was sticking around a 7'45 pace at this point and still was feeling strong, but was starting to lose gas. I figured i hit mile 5 and kept telling myself its a 1.2 left, pain is temporary! Hit about a 7'40 pace for about .7 miles and once i knew i was getting close, just got in sprint form. The last .4 or so i was at a 6'20" pace and was feeling good mentally, physically was the opposite ha! I had about 4 people in front of me with the final 50 yards or so and wanted to chase some rabbits! Took all of them down at the finish and that felt really good. Had the announcer getting excited about it too and the crowd was fun, one guy yelled "you better smoke them!". So i took his advice!

Bring my nutrition?!?! Train more
Post race
Warm down:

Got some fluids and cooled down with schmize and coredump. Talked for a while and waited for my mom to finish. Knew my goal of 2:30:00 wasnt happening but was ok since the flat. Stretched out and had shared some stories with everyone. My mom finished strong and did a great job, so was really happy for her! After the results came out, me and my buddy decided to hit up white castle for a boat load of sliders and fries! Sooooo good. Dont get that treat here in Madison.

Great race, will def do it again!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training, flat tire, dont lose nutrition....

Other than that, happy with the results!

Last updated: 2009-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Neosport Full
Course: Triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:47 | 24.85 miles | 20.49 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Stick out and two loops
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-18 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race

2009-08-18 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2355836

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race
you had a great race matt..!!!  that was some serious DTFU...  i'd be done if i flatted...  that must have been a pretty quick fix you made...

great times in all events...!!!
2009-08-18 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
^^^  good to see you there as well...
2009-08-19 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Yep, dude, that was an awesome race on so many fronts.  Of course, the time wasn't what you wanted, but you still kicked its @ss.  For minimal training, you still were able to throw down a 2:30 Oly!  The reason for your lack of training was: 1) Planning for a wedding 2) moving into your new place.  Guess what?  Those two things are two of the most stressful things you can do.

Then you get a flat.  And were able to change a back tire flat in sub 5'.  That is sweet action right there.  And to do that run w/o your nutrition and a potty break.  Again, way to overcome.  Lots of mental toughness for you out there.

I see a bright future for you.  Glad we could hangout over the weekend.  Very fun.
2009-08-19 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Good race out there adn way to overcome that flat! Oh and nice job smokin' foos on the run!
2009-08-19 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI

Your race was almost like a road runner cartoon...something out to get you at every turn!! The flat situation sucks...wonder if they didn't seat your tube right when they fixed it? (pinch...sssssss....flat) and the lack of nutrition, and the porta potty stop....the list goes on! You stuck with it, and finished with a good time! (I know,  not your goal time, but had all things gone well...sub 2:30!) Good to see you, as usual!

2009-08-20 9:32 AM

User image

Elite
Denver

Nice race, especially the speedy flat change-out! Way to push through that and get 'er done.

How is it that we are both Donkeys who live in Madison, who even started in the same wave at PP, and we have never met?!? Catch ya at the next one?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed