http://www.vacationsports.com/oakdaledu.html
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 33m 30s
Overall Rank = 59/196
Age Group = Coed Team
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6am. Had some oatmeal & some coffee w/ teecino mixed in (high in potasium). Girls woke up, had breakfast, and got dressed. Loaded up Bill's bike. Drove over to pick up the babysitter so that someone was with the girls during transitions.
Event warmup:

Checked in, set up Bill's bike in the transition, stood in line for the port-a-pots. Did a Clif shot w/ caffeine since I was still REALLY tired from being up with the baby the last two nights. Did some light stretching, contemplated bringing my rain coat, and then walked up to the race start.
Run
  • 24m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

light drizzle and cold. it was crazy starting in the head of the pack w/ the elites and the younger men (29 and under). i was only one of a handful of women who were either elites or in my class. no wonder i was doing sub 7 min miles the first mile!
What would you do differently?:

MAYBE slow down a bit at the start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

since i was going faster than i expected, i was worried that bill wouldn't be in transition when i got there. he wasn't, either. lucky for us, the run course looped through the parking lot to the transition area, and i ran right past our car. i knocked on the window and kept going. the course looped to the end of the lot and then into transition, and by the time i got there, bill had managed to run over and get his helmet on. passed off the timing chip (which was on a velcro strap) and off he went. we were not super speedy about it, since we were just there to have fun...no expectations of winning.

not assume it will take me 30 minutes to run 3 miles when i've been running sub-10 for a couple months now :)
Bike
  • 41m 53s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.62 mile/hr
Comments:

he came in with his wool jersey, green rivendell, and leather brooks saddle, right along tricked out tri bikes (nothing against tri bikes, bill just looked like someone out of a 40s tour de france compared to the other guys).

i'll have to ask bill :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

we really took our time here, since this was bill's first race in years, we took time to congratulate each other on how we were doing so far, have a kiss, etc.
Run
  • 25m 18s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

since it was really cold and rainy, i stayed in the car with the girls and mackenzie (our babysitter) during the bike. i had done a little stretching, but with the cold weather, my legs got pretty stiff pretty fast. it took the first mile of running before i felt like i was were i wanted to be pace wise.

stretch after the first run, wear warm up pants, stretch and run a bit before the second run.
Post race
Warm down:

a bit of stretching, some hot dogs (provided by the race director), waited around for the awards ceremony (because we had to!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

wow. well, we were sick all week. all of us. the last two nights i hardly slept more than 2 hours in a stretch without waking up with fiona, who was teething.

Event comments:

race results are not online yet. can't wait to see where we were overall. we've had mixed luck with this race organizer, but this event was really fun. they did a great job, especially considering the weather was less than perfect. they also gave us an extra shirt for free to give to our babysitter, who was a trooper chasing the kids in the rain, camping out in the car and singing songs with the kids, etc.

as you can see from the photos, it was wet wet wet! it was also cold, which is why some of the photos were blurred...going from the warmth of a jacket pocket into the cold humid air was enough to make it fog.

we are pleased as punch to have come in first. not a very big field, i know, but it was still fun to bring home a 1st place trophy the very first time we've EVER raced together. bill has raced and i've raced, but in the nearly 8 years we've been together, this is the first time we've ever raced together.

pictures: http://www.fidean.net/pix/oakdaledu/oakdaledu.html

results: http://www.pickleevents.com/results/2005/oakdaledu.txt

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:01 | 03 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/196
Performance: Good
hit the first mile marker and was just under 7 minute miles. hard to believe. couldn't keep that pace up the whole way, but still did just fine!
Course: paved trail through the woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:41:53 | 13 miles | 18.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: more hilly than bill expected, but he still kicked butt.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:18 | 03 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Course: same as the first run, only clockwise instead of counter clockwise.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-14 2:28 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: Oakdale Duathlon

2005-05-14 3:17 PM
in reply to: #157578

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Oakdale Duathlon
more pictures here, for those who are interested: http://www.fidean.net/pix/oakdaledu/oakdaledu.html
2005-05-15 8:24 PM

Expert
Princeton, MN
You won your group? Kick ass!!!
Excellent. I'm sooo jealous. You are so kicking butt on these runs.
I don't know about that weather though...
Well done

ian
2005-05-15 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Wow, first place, something to put on the mantle, how cool!!

I think you have stumbled upon a new winning recipe for the pre-race taper, sickness and no sleep (although I don't think I will be using this technique).

Congratulations to you both.

Paul
2005-05-15 9:34 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
You are tough as nails. Yucky weather conditions, teething child, illness, and STILL first place. Way to go!!!!

Pam
2005-05-16 10:57 AM

User image

Regular
Pacific Northwest

Awesome job to both of you!! It is amazing to see the improvements in the run Autumn and you should still be smiling after that fantastic win.  I love the fact that you had to rouse Bill to meet you at T1. : )

Way to go!!!

2005-05-16 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congratulations!! How very cool for you both! And look at the run pace--smokin!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oakdale Duathlon Rss Feed