Blue Sky
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 23/49
Pre-race routine:

Had a function to attend on Friday night at a Mexican Restaurant. Tried to eat as well as possible. Drove to Lawrenceville and got a room for the night. Woke at 5:00, breakfast at 5:30, which was 2 bowls of Cheerios. Arrived at the park just after 6:00 to register, get marked, chipped, and set up. This particular organizer assigns numbers alphabetically. Being a "V" usually means that I have an outside rack. :) Ate a PowerBar about an hour out from the race. Met up with Josh and then went to wait in the water like everyone else. He and I were in the same wave, so we hung out and were nervous together.
Event warmup:

None. I figured I would warm up on the swim.
Swim
  • 18m 40s
  • 600 yards
  • 03m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

It suck-diddily-ucked! I don't think I did anything right. Not one thing. Started in the rear of the middle of the Novice wave. Kept climbing over people and getting climbed on. The choppy water made it almost impossible to breathe; kept getting mouthfuls of water, which upset my breathing, which caused me to swallow a lot of air, which gave me gas, which made it REALLY uncomfortable to be in the water. Probably went out too fast because I was getting tired by the first 100 yard bouy. There was more than once that I wanted to quit or thought I was going to drown. When those would hit, I rolled over on my back, tried to catch my breath and gather my thoughts. I freestyled the first 100-150 yds and then did a combo of breast-stroke and back-stroke for the next 250-300 yds. Finished with whatever would keep me alive and get me out of the water. Once I got the to the shore, I walked up to the transition area just to convince myself that I could still finish the race because there were a lot of times in the swim where I didn't think I could.
What would you do differently?:

I need to put in longer swims. If possible, I need to do more open water swims, but I don't trust myself to do an OW swim alone. I've never been a strong swimmer and never preteneded to be one. If I am going to get better at triathlons, I have to get better at swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

My bike shoes are not made for triathlons. They have laces AND velcro straps, which makes it a real pain to get into them. The tongue has to be pulled up and then the shoes have to be velcroed closed. I'd like to get some new bike shoes, but we'll have to see. Likewise, I didn't dry my feet as well as I should have. Wet socks do not cushion very well at all. In fact, this would lead to a small blister on my heel by the end fo the day. But, I did have my race belt, gel, and everything laid out perfectly in order. I just started from the top and put it all on. That part went well.

Dry my feet off better.
Get some new shoes.
Bike
  • 44m 51s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.12 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was good. I got up to speed fairly easily. The hills were a bit of a challenge, still working on my climbing. But, I climbed better than most. The course was not the best laid out. 500+ competitors doing laps around a 6 mile loop? And then a few people either wiped out or collided with other riders, which added emergency vehicles to the course. It got pretty congested pretty quick. But, I was able to dodge the obstacles and post what I consider to be a respectable bike time. At least, it's the time I had hoped for.

I use the bike to try to hydrate and refuel. Took a gel at about 45 min. total time and made the mistake of adding Accelerade for the first time. It would come back to haunt me.

Not mix Accelerate and gel. Drink more water to get ready for the run. Ride more to get faster and stronger.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I was pretty happy with this transition. The only flub was racking my bike on top of my shoes. So, with a little pulling, I was able to free my shoes and get going.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 26m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was good. We started downhill, which allowed me to lengthen my stride. First mile felt great. Second mile sucked because of the constant climbing. This mixed with the Accelerade addition made for some gastrointestinal gymnastics. I didn't lose anything, but I sure wanted to. The third mile, I was able to push through and re-gain some time lost on mile 2.

Be sure to hydrate better on the bike.
Nothing new on race day.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the food where I had some water, Oreos, a banana, and a half of a bagel. Met my wife and talked with her. We waited a while and still couldn't find Josh. After about 10-15 min. I walked up to the last turn to look for for him. When I got there, he was walking up the hill leading to the last turn. So, I encouraged as best I could and ran the last quarter mile or so with him to the end. Helped him get some food then went to pack up.

Loaded my gear back in my car, grabbed my clean clothes and went for the shower house. Being so slow, there was no hot water left, so I rinsed off as best I could. When I was done, they had results posted, so I checked my rank. At least I was in the top half of my age group. Some of the other "novices" were sandbagging, I think, but whatever makes you feel good about yourself I guess.

I'm glad that I finished the swim and the race. I was shooting for 1:30, but the hilly course and my poor swim pushed me just past. I probably could have done better on a flatter course, but that's for another time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oh, where to start on this one?

+Poor swimming technique
+Lack of swimming confidence
+Fuel Issues
+Approx. 30 extra lbs.

Last updated: 2005-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:40 | 600 yards | 03m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Basically an out and back course in the lake. Nothing tricky or difficult about the course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:51 | 12.8 miles | 17.12 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Two loops around an out and back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:33 | 03.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 8:32 Mile 2: 9:08 To the finish: 8:54
Course: Half of the course was on single track dirt trails with roots and ruts galore. Another quarter was over grassy hills and the other quarter was on paved roads. Each part was full of hills; I was always ascending or descending. The worst rise was during mile 2. Seemed like it was completely uphill the whole mile, thus the lower split for that mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-05-14 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: Fort Yargo State Park Triathlon

2005-05-14 5:13 PM
in reply to: #157613

User image

Veteran
London, UK
Subject: RE: Fort Yargo State Park Triathlon

Congratulations on your first triathlon!  Getting in the top half of your age group is fantastic!!! 

It sounds like you enjoyed the race, I really hope so.  And I hope it was just the first of many.

2005-05-14 8:05 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
congratulations on your first race, triathlete! sounds like your swim wasn't that abnormal (swimming over people, getting swum over, etc.). you did great on the bike and run. congrats!
2005-05-15 9:25 AM

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Great Job Hawkeye! I was out at Fort Yargo on Sat as well (will post my race report once I see the final results posted online), sorry I couldn't come over to the All3 tent to try and meet up with you before the race, but I had a bit of a late start.

Looks like you can't complain about many things with your first race. I hope you're as excited as I am to get #2 under my belt.
2005-05-15 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Congrats!  Great race report.  I did a few of the "Tri the Park" races last year and they are a lot of fun.  Maybe we'll catch up at Indian Springs, Westpoint Lake, or Tugaloo.

Rock on!

2005-05-16 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Nice report Hawkeye (love the Flanderism suck-diddily-ucked). Congrats on getting the first one under your belt. Feels great, eh?

2005-05-16 4:38 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Nice Job. Now you have one down and how many more to go...?

CONGRATS!!!

2005-05-20 2:30 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Shower house? Shower house? See, this is the kind of info you definitely need to share with the other beginners :-)

Great race report, Tom. You're a monster on the bike, and that's an impressive run given the course as well. I think this is probably the last time I'll see you in T1, because I'm guessing you're in the pool all week this week.

Thanks to you and Sara for all your help, especially the help in finishing. Here's to more in our future.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Yargo State Park Triathlon Rss Feed