General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike tire flats Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-20 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Subject: bike tire flats
So, last night I got my introduction into fixing a flat on the road. I was about 12mi. into my ride when I hit a hole and BAM, flat rear tire. So I changed it(first time fixing a flat since I was a little kid) and went on my way. After another 1 to 1 1/2mi. I hear a POP, and the tube I just replaced popped. So now I was forced to walk my bike home, which thankfully was less than a mile away.
Any ideas on why the blowouts? I realize the first one may have been from hitting the hole on the shoulder but the second one was on nice, flat ground. Could I have installed the new tube incorrectly?
Also, I am taking both wheels to the LBS and have them put new ones in. Hopefully they have some heavy duty tubes or ideas on how to lessen the chance of this happening. The bike ride is my biggest fear in don tri's as you don't have control over the machine and breakage. I know you can do things to minimize it, but inevitably, you can't control it like the swimming or running.

2009-08-20 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2359826

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: bike tire flats

The second one was probably a pinch flat cause by a bit of tube stuck between tire and rim when you changed the tube. Be sure to check all the way around for pinches. i find it you put a bit of air in the tube before putting it in the tire it helps prevent this.

2009-08-20 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

Did you check the inside of the tire for debris?  Delicately run your fingers around the entire tire to feel for any sharp objects poking through the casing.  When you installed the tire did you check to ensure you didn't pinch the tube under the tire?  Squeeze the sidewalls together all the way around the tire and look for any signs of the tube.  Before inflating, push the valve up into the tire.  Don't use those little nuts they give you to put on the valve stem.

Did you use a small frame pump to inflate the tire or CO2?  Underinflated tires are very susceptible to pinch flats.  

Was there any damage to the rim from where you hit the hole and got the first flat?

Now that you're home, you can remove the tube and then inflate it.  Run it through a sink full of water until you see bubbles.  That's where the hole is.  This will give you a good idea what caused it.  Two holes on the inside are a pinch flat.  

As for better tubes, I run cheap tubes but heavy tires.  Conti Ultra Gatorskins get decent reviews and I haven't had a flat in weeks of commuting compared to my ProRace which flatted once or more every week.  Specialized Armadillos are even more puncture proof but are heavier.  Nothing will save you from hitting a pothole but wider tires that you don't want to race on.  Best to avoid the holes altogether.  If you don't see it until the last second, you can learn to bunnyhop them but learning on a road bike could be hard.

2009-08-20 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada

I too just suffered through 2x flat rear tires. I noticed two little tears close together when I was replacing for the second time so now I know it was a "pinch flat".  Thanks!

2009-08-20 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Thanks, I will check all those things.
Yeah, I figured the first one was the pothole.
I did have some trouble getting the tube in and wondered if it is wasn't seated properly that may have caused the second one.
I did use Co2 to fill it up.
2009-08-20 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
MA
In addition to what others have said inspecting the tire and seeing if something is embedded in your tire is critical to avoid getting another flat. I keep small piece of cloth others use cotton ball that I can use to go around inside of my tire to see if it catches on anything. You can use your fingers but that means you may cut yourself on what ever is there.

A good way to avoid pinch flat is to inflate your tire to about 50-60 SI then pull your tire up away from rim and you can see on each side...do this all around the tire which takes about a minute then you can make sure you haven't caught the tube under the edge of the tire.

2009-08-20 9:36 AM

User image

Master
How is CO2 compared to pumping? I know it is fast, but will it stay inflated well?
2009-08-20 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2359927

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
eliwashere - 2009-08-20 10:36 AM

How is CO2 compared to pumping? I know it is fast, but will it stay inflated well?

Huh? Staying inflated has nothing to do with C02 v. pumping. One puts CO2 gas in your tire, the other a mix of oxygen, nitrogen and other stuff. Its gas either way. What keeps the gas in there is having a sealed compartment, i.e., no holes in the tube.

Agreed on the above posts. It was either a pinch flat or you didnt find the original perpetrator to begin with. As you said it was a pothole that caused the original flat it sounds to me like you got a pinch flat the first time and the second time. Did you properly inflate prior to heading out on your ride? May not have made a difference depending on how hard you hit the pothole, but always make sure you check the poundage before headed out.

Edited by JohnAgs3 2009-08-20 10:29 AM
2009-08-20 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
2nd one could have been a pinch flat.

Could have been debris on the tire.

Could have been you over inflated with CO2, and it popped.

Could be a bad tube, and it split (I actually had this happen last week...3 flats. When i got home and checked the tubes...they all just had a split in them. Not a pinch flat, not overinflated...just bad tubes).

...or it could be bad luck.

I'd say, do NOT take it in to the shop. No need to, really. Check your wheel carefully for debris or foreign objects (incl. a spoke broken, etc). Then, check your tube. Reinflate it to see where the leak is...stick it in the bathtub if you need to.
2009-08-20 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2360111

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
JohnAgs3 - 2009-08-20 10:27 AM
eliwashere - 2009-08-20 10:36 AM How is CO2 compared to pumping? I know it is fast, but will it stay inflated well?
Huh? Staying inflated has nothing to do with C02 v. pumping. One puts CO2 gas in your tire, the other a mix of oxygen, nitrogen and other stuff. Its gas either way. What keeps the gas in there is having a sealed compartment, i.e., no holes in the tube.

Co2 does leak out of your tube faster. Not by the time you get home, but overnight you'll see a significant difference when compared to air.
2009-08-20 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Ok, maybe I will fix them again myself and see how it goes. Sounds like a pinch flat may have been the culprit as it had a nice POP when it went the second time. I was having a hard time trying to get that skinny tire to sit in place, after I installed the new tube, so it is possible I may have had some tube under it somewhere. I wasn't using a lever to do the change either, just my hands. Are the levers that big of a deal or just a convenience/speed thing?

2009-08-20 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
While it's nice to put in a new tube, if the hole causing the flat is small a patch will work well. Lots of times pinch flats can be quickly repaired wih a simple patch. Find the hole by inflating the tube after you remove it, let the air back out after finding the hole, scuff the area with the scuffer provided in the patch kit, place the patch on, reinstall the tube as normal. You may also want to consider carrying a small pump on training rides in addition to the CO2.
2009-08-20 11:46 AM

User image

Regular
Acworth
I am the king of pinch flats - key is to inflate the tube a little before putting it in, it is much easier to get it seated and there is no twisting, pinches etc. etc.  The second thing I had problems with was cheap rim tape.  I had 2 quick flats because the tape either blew through or was sitting offset therefor exposing the spoke holes - easy fix but not something I carry in my  bag.
2009-08-20 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2360239

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

DJS - 2009-08-20 8:58 AM Ok, maybe I will fix them again myself and see how it goes. Sounds like a pinch flat may have been the culprit as it had a nice POP when it went the second time. I was having a hard time trying to get that skinny tire to sit in place, after I installed the new tube, so it is possible I may have had some tube under it somewhere. I wasn't using a lever to do the change either, just my hands. Are the levers that big of a deal or just a convenience/speed thing?

Tire levers give you....  leverage!  It helps with stiff tires or tires with a wire bead.  If you can remove/seat the tire quickly without them, then don't use them.  They increase the chance of pinching the tube when seating the tire (the lever can pinch the tube and put a hole in it).  I didn't start using levers until I switched to wire bead tires.

2009-08-20 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Did you run your fingers both inside and outside the tire to see if there was any glass? It might have been the same piece both times.

Or you didn't put the new tube in properley and got a pinch which made it burst.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike tire flats Rss Feed