General Discussion Triathlon Talk » INDOOR pool closed due to thunderstorm - WTF?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-21 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2361708

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: INDOOR pool closed due to thunderstorm - WTF?!
gearboy - 2009-08-21 3:13 AM
rach_1623 - 2009-08-21 12:39 AM Um, first of all, just to clarify.  I am a woman.  Hopefully my pic isn't that ambiguous.  Smile

2nd, I was really p*issed and just wanted to vent for the most part so calm down Mr. Effing Science Man.  Oh, and I didn't actually yell at the college kids.  I know it's not they're decision.  They're probably making minimum wage to do some boring menial labor.

Also, I was raised VERY much to be a skeptic.  When some kind of lettuce was recalled when I was a kid, my dad declared he was going to go buy some and eat it because the statistical probability of getting a bad bag was incredibly minuscule.  So basically that's where I'm coming from.  The chances of me getting hurt by lightning while inside have got to be a like .00000001% or something.  So basically, yeah, I'd rather get my swim in.

Thanks to the many people who said they feel my pain.  That's really what I needed to hear.  Wink

What about the kid that has to pull your body out of the pool and attempt to rescucitate you because you chose to swim during a thunderstorm?  And then deal with the pool management to explain why they let you swim?

And your dad's actions don't make any sense.  If the lettuce is recalled, what's on the shelves is not part of the recall.  So yeah, it's pretty safe.  What would be risky is consuming a bag of lettuce from the recalled lot that you already have in the fridge.

Your original rant/post reminded me of when I was in college, and we got a lecture about fire safety.  One of the people complained about all the rules because "the building is made of cinderblocks, and cinderblocks don't burn, so why should I worry".  And in reality the fact that they don't burn makes things MORE risky, since they reflect the heat back in, like a fireplace, and everything/everyone on the inside is now in a giant oven. You can be unhappy about the rules, but it doesn't change the basic science, which I read as a part of your rant overall.

And according the NOAA website, lightening can travel up to 10 miles from the thunderstorm, and the odds of being struck by lightening overall during your life is 1 in 3000, or 0.03%.  I would imagine swimming in a pool in a thunderstorm would increase, rather than decrease those odds.

ETA : On another part of the website, the odds of being hit in a given year are reported as 1/700,000, but estimated to be as high as 1/400,000 accounting for unreported strikes.

People take stuff soooo literally here. She's just explaining where she's coming from and why she does the things she does. Don't think you need to explain why her dad's reasoning is wrong...just seems a bit excessive but whatever free speech and I don't think she said she would continue swimming after someone told her to get out. I believe she got out of the pool after the kid told her to get out...but correct me if I'm wrong. She saying if she had the choice to swim during a storm with no one closing down the pool than she would take the risk. After  seeing this poster who is by the way a FEMALE mr. SCIENCE Guy... get torn apart after a vent...well I'm going to think twice before posting one of my own.

2009-08-21 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2361432

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Where is Bill Nye when we need him?

2009-08-21 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2361772

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
PennState - 2009-08-21 7:43 AM I've been pulled out of the pool before at the YMCA.
I think our University pool has some special insulation that lets them swim through the lightening, but not sure.

It is mainly liability... reminds me of the 'new and improved' drain system that they had to put in every pool in the USA this year because a child was killed by a drain earlier. They made a law mandating the drains.

Bottom line though is that unless you own the pool you have to follow their rules. End of statement.

ONE CHILD is one to many. 

They changed the laws here in FL several years ago for this since I moved here 10 years ago.  And yes it happens, I vividy recall seeing on the news a child getting her lower intestines sucked out of her anus at a hotel pool here in FL, she died a week later.   The modification can be as simple as installing a drain cover that is of large size that has multiple openings and also pipe that is above the ground that connects to a valve that operates on vacuum. If the drain still gets clogged it will open the valve and relief the suction at the drain.  New pools must have dual drains that if one gets clogged the other prevents a vacuum from occurring, if both are clogged then the relief valve kicks in.

When my son was 3 we were in a neighbors older pool and he was off against the wall where the mechanical cleaner hose connects.  It had a flapper door on it, he opened it and the suction pulled him onto it and he started screaming.  He had a suction welt about 1/2" high by 2" on his torso in less than 5-10 seconds it took me to break him from it (I was right next to him).  Our neighbor had their pool retrofitted right after that.

2009-08-21 10:45 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
IIRC, it became a Federal requirement to change the drain covers.  I know my pool system did it throughout.  I don't disagree with the drain covers one single bit.

As for the lightning BS??

Gee, I have significantly more of a chance of getting nailed by a car riding my bike down the street than I do of that.  Just as dangerous, just as life threatening.

WTF ever happened to personal responsibility??  Litiguous America has F'ed up a lot of things in this world.  Probably more so than it has helped things
2009-08-21 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2362289

User image

Veteran
newleaf - 2009-08-21 10:27 AM Where is Bill Nye when we need him?

HAHA seriously! They should do an episode only on this topic...lightning and indoor pools!
2009-08-21 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2362340

User image

Champion
Alabama

Daremo - 2009-08-21 10:45 AM IIRC, it became a Federal requirement to change the drain covers.  I know my pool system did it throughout.  I don't disagree with the drain covers one single bit.

As for the lightning BS??

Gee, I have significantly more of a chance of getting nailed by a car riding my bike down the street than I do of that.  Just as dangerous, just as life threatening.

WTF ever happened to personal responsibility??  Litiguous America has F'ed up a lot of things in this world.  Probably more so than it has helped things

I agree it should be a person's choice.  But in a public pool, where you have children who may not use good judgement, you can't very well have a rule that says "...if it's lightening outside, only adults can continue to swim at their own peril...."

If one "played the odds" we'd all swim in the pool and no body would ever go into a storm shelter.  I came home one time to find my wife and daugher in the untility room.  There was a strom blowing thru and the local news guys had everyone paniced.  I asked my wife where my son (16 yo) was and she said "He's out on the front porch wathing the storm!"  I joined him.  :-)

Eveyone has a level of risk they are willing to live with based on their perception of the danger.  Having had our horses killed by lightening, I'm a little more skittish when it comes to swimming during a lightening storm than is probably warrented....and, like I wrote earlier, I'm an electrical enginner and have a pretty good grasp on lightening's hows and whys and wheres.  Point is, lots of things influence our perception of danger.

~Mike

2009-08-21 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2361606

Central NJ
thndrcloud - 2009-08-20 11:36 PM
zionvier - 2009-08-20 9:35 PM When growing up, my mom would never let us take showers during a thunderstorm for the same reason.  Personally I think it's just a bad idea in general to stand/lay/swim in water when there's lightning in the area.  I'd hate to have the pool closed for weeks because some guy/girl was electrocuted in the pool.

My mom too.  We had to turn off the tv, computers and lights "just in case". 

On that note though, if they close the pool due to lightning do they also shut down the showers?  What about the sinks in the bathrooms or the water fountains?  Are you still allowed to pee or is it too dangerous because the water in the toilet could conduct the electricity up your pee stream and electrocute you? 

Okay, maybe that last one is a stretch, but I'd really like to know if they let people shower when they aren't allowed to swim.

You can use the toilet because the ceramic and the air traps act like an insulator but you can't touch th metal handle to flush.
2009-08-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2362576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
ump107 - 2009-08-21 12:12 PM
thndrcloud - 2009-08-20 11:36 PM
zionvier - 2009-08-20 9:35 PM When growing up, my mom would never let us take showers during a thunderstorm for the same reason.  Personally I think it's just a bad idea in general to stand/lay/swim in water when there's lightning in the area.  I'd hate to have the pool closed for weeks because some guy/girl was electrocuted in the pool.

My mom too.  We had to turn off the tv, computers and lights "just in case". 

On that note though, if they close the pool due to lightning do they also shut down the showers?  What about the sinks in the bathrooms or the water fountains?  Are you still allowed to pee or is it too dangerous because the water in the toilet could conduct the electricity up your pee stream and electrocute you? 

Okay, maybe that last one is a stretch, but I'd really like to know if they let people shower when they aren't allowed to swim.

You can use the toilet because the ceramic and the air traps act like an insulator but you can't touch th metal handle to flush.

Thank GOD! We've had storms blowing through here today and I don't think I could have held any longer.  I'll just have to fill a bucket to dump in the bowl to force a flush since I can't touch the handle.  Better safe than sorry.  Mom would be so proud.
2009-08-21 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2362812

User image

Champion
Alabama

thndrcloud - 2009-08-21 1:39 PM.

thndrcloud - Thundercloud?  You are the problem!  j/k

~Mike

2009-08-21 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2362828

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Rogillio - 2009-08-21 1:44 PM

thndrcloud - 2009-08-21 1:39 PM.

thndrcloud - Thundercloud?  You are the problem!  j/k

~Mike

Mom?  Is that you?
2009-08-21 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2362321

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-08-21 1:56 PM

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Lightning will travel through buildings & water pipes.

I was getting in the shower once and just as I was reaching in the shower to turn on the water  I heard a boom then felt the zapped in the left elbow and out the right foot.

I checked our house after the strom had passed.  Pine tree exploded and split, lightning then had jumped to the roof and blew the shingles off a section, then down the water pipes, through me and out.

So if your are ever in a thunderstorm with lightning. Stand next to me because it wont hit the same place twice.

True story

Kevin
2009-08-21 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2362864

Champion
the colony texas

I 've always heard it was more to do with how the builldings and pool plumbing/drains were set up.. the one pool I've been to doesn't close and their reasoning is that their pool plumbing is "rated" or something differently..

the pool that does close... we say that it's also due to the pool plumbing, being done a certain way... 

2009-08-22 12:25 AM

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Edited by MadMathemagician 2009-08-22 12:27 AM
2009-08-22 12:25 AM

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Edited by MadMathemagician 2009-08-22 12:27 AM
2009-08-22 10:29 AM

Oh how I feel your frustration. But, it can happen. My mother was standing in front of the washer a few years ago doing laundry during a lightning storm. She actually saw the juice come out of the pipe to ground. She got shocked, but not bad. No joke. I don't like to mess with Zeus or anything associated with that voltage. I have unfortunately had to adjust workouts based on the lightning pool closures too. Another element in the life of triathlon.

2009-08-22 4:11 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

It ticked me off today when my pool was closed for a storm.  However, the storm that blew through was nasty and the gym does have a good bit of liability if something were to happen to a person they allowed to swim during a thunderstorm.  So, I made use of the time and did core work since my family was using cardio machines and I had already done a monster run this morning...There are worse things than missing a swim.  Dying cause I swam in dangerous conditions is one of them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » INDOOR pool closed due to thunderstorm - WTF?! Rss Feed  

of 3