General Discussion Triathlon Talk » INDOOR pool closed due to thunderstorm - WTF?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-20 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
Subject: INDOOR pool closed due to thunderstorm - WTF?!
I went to the University pool for the 1st time today to get in my swim work out and on my 8th lap, they tell me that I have to get out because there's lightning. I was like "...... uh..... you know this is an indoor pool, right?...." They were like "Yeah, the lightning can travel in through the building." I really wanted to yell at somebody cause this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I've seriously NEVER heard of this before. I was completely boggled by this. How do they think lightning is going to get in the pool?? It would take like an act of God or something to get through all the iron, concrete, roof, glass, ect ect to strike the pool. And it's NOT going to travel through the effing building. It's completely ridiculous. I've swam at my other pool in bad weather and nobody gave a crap. Seriously, I am *amazed* and I think whoever came up with that rule doesn't understand effing science. Go read a book on freaking electricity. Ai! I really wanted to just yell at someone but they were all college kids working there and obviously they didn't make up the rule. So very frustrated!!!!!  Yell

2009-08-20 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2361432

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: INDOOR pool closed due to thunderstorm - WTF?!

I'd never heard of this until this year either, but my pool has closed several times this year during thunderstorms.  There was a thread over on ST about it too.  Seems like an urban legend gone wild to me, but I'm no scientist.

2009-08-20 8:47 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I never used to believe it, but apparently at my base a week or so ago lightning struck a house and electrocuted a kid standing next to a sink several houses down.

So, apparently lightning CAN travel through pipes.

Is it worth your life to get that one swim in?  Better safe than sorry I guess.

I've only swam in one indoor pool that DIDN'T close for lightning...in Rapid City, SD.  They were like the mailmen...open in all kinds of weather.
2009-08-20 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Yep, I've had this problem a couple of times. Blows

2009-08-20 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
The reason for this is that there are concerns that lightning could travel through the electrical system to the pool's pump which could then be transferred into the water causing electrocutions.  I know the pools around here do the same thing.  Its probably overkill but I think most people think better safe than sorry. 
2009-08-20 8:53 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Happens at the pool at my university, too.  It is really annoying.  I've been in the pool while they decided to close it.  They said that it has to be clear (no thunder or lightening) for 30 minutes before they reopen.

2009-08-20 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
My indoor pool has same rule. It has really sucked this summer!
2009-08-20 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2361440

User image

Pro
MA
jldicarlo - 2009-08-20 9:47 PM I never used to believe it, but apparently at my base a week or so ago lightning struck a house and electrocuted a kid standing next to a sink several houses down.

So, apparently lightning CAN travel through pipes.

Is it worth your life to get that one swim in?  Better safe than sorry I guess.

I've only swam in one indoor pool that DIDN'T close for lightning...in Rapid City, SD.  They were like the mailmen...open in all kinds of weather.

I bet that pool in Rapid City locates in a building that is equipped with a thunder stick or some other grounding devices. 
According to the National Lightning Safety Institute, 1/200 houses got struck every year.  In the even the building where your pool is got struck, you don't want to be submerged in the water. 

2009-08-20 9:02 PM

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"

Same as everyone else.  Our gym closes our pool during a storm.  Problem is everyone does it different.  What a pain!

2009-08-20 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2361449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Artemis - 2009-08-20 9:53 PM Happens at the pool at my university, too.  It is really annoying.  I've been in the pool while they decided to close it.  They said that it has to be clear (no thunder or lightening) for 30 minutes before they reopen.

Same rule at our gym.  Clear for 30 minutes then they let you back in...if you've actually hung around in the locker room wet for that long.  We have to clear the deck completely.  This is a common occurrence all summer long.
2009-08-20 9:08 PM

User image

Master
rach_1623 - 2009-08-20 9:38 PM I went to the University pool for the 1st time today to get in my swim work out and on my 8th lap, they tell me that I have to get out because there's lightning. I was like "...... uh..... you know this is an indoor pool, right?...." They were like "Yeah, the lightning can travel in through the building." I really wanted to yell at somebody cause this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I've seriously NEVER heard of this before. I was completely boggled by this. How do they think lightning is going to get in the pool?? It would take like an act of God or something to get through all the iron, concrete, roof, glass, ect ect to strike the pool. And it's NOT going to travel through the effing building. It's completely ridiculous. I've swam at my other pool in bad weather and nobody gave a crap. Seriously, I am *amazed* and I think whoever came up with that rule doesn't understand effing science. Go read a book on freaking electricity. Ai! I really wanted to just yell at someone but they were all college kids working there and obviously they didn't make up the rule. So very frustrated!!!!!  Yell

Let me expalin the "effing" science to you.
The roof at the pool I go to is made out of metal whcih is a conductor. It is supported by "H" beams also made out of metal. Attached to the ceiling are lghts, the conduit that has the wires in them are also made out of metal and are attached to the metal roof supports. So genius do you really want to be in water which is also a conductor during an electrical storm?
seems to me that perhaps you owe those college kids a thatnks you and might want to pick up a book on "effing" science.
But what do I know I have only been teaching electircal theory and Architecture for 14 years with 2 Bachelors degrees, a Masters degree in Education and the equivalent of another in Engineering, but what the heck do I know about it?

2009-08-20 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Now what I DO NOT agree with is the YMCA that closes the pool for a min of 20' if they even HEAR thunder.  Thunder is OK.  Lightning is bad.  Call the weather people or pull up the radar or something to prove there is lightning...just thunder shouldn't close the pool!
2009-08-20 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2361481

User image

Master
jldicarlo - 2009-08-20 10:11 PM Now what I DO NOT agree with is the YMCA that closes the pool for a min of 20' if they even HEAR thunder.  Thunder is OK.  Lightning is bad.  Call the weather people or pull up the radar or something to prove there is lightning...just thunder shouldn't close the pool!

When lighting passes through air it super heats it creating a vacum. When the air rushes back in  to fill that vacum it causes thunder. Where there is thunder there was lightning.
2009-08-20 9:20 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
The 20-30 minute rule is pretty common for thunder/lightning in many sports, my kids soccer and baseball do the same thing.  It's a safety thing, would not be surprised if there was some insurance issues with it.  Sure its a pain but I assume there is good reasoning for the rule.  As for checking the weather I think they can only tell where lightning has struck not where it could strike in an area.
2009-08-20 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2361481

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

jldicarlo - 2009-08-20 10:11 PM Now what I DO NOT agree with is the YMCA that closes the pool for a min of 20' if they even HEAR thunder.  Thunder is OK.  Lightning is bad.  Call the weather people or pull up the radar or something to prove there is lightning...just thunder shouldn't close the pool!

Yes, because thunder occurs all the time without lightning

2009-08-20 9:21 PM

User image

Master
My Y does this.  It has an inside and outside pool.  There is a common water pipe between them that can (read: will) conduct a lightning strike through it.  In this case I can see the logic.  For a standalone indoor pool it makes no sense.

2009-08-20 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2361500

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
GaryRM - 2009-08-20 9:20 PM The 20-30 minute rule is pretty common for thunder/lightning in many sports, my kids soccer and baseball do the same thing.  It's a safety thing, would not be surprised if there was some insurance issues with it.  Sure its a pain but I assume there is good reasoning for the rule.  As for checking the weather I think they can only tell where lightning has struck not where it could strike in an area.

Maybe I'm spoiled from working on an AF base...but we always get a "lightning within 5nm of the base" call whenever lightning is close...so it really isn't hard to figure out where lightning could be...the weather people know this stuff.  Thunder can be heard MUCH farther away.  I'd rather the Y take the extra few minutes to confirm with the weather peeps that lightning is actually close than just go off the "I heard thunder" theory.
2009-08-20 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2361477

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

verga - 2009-08-20 9:08 PM
rach_1623 - 2009-08-20 9:38 PM I went to the University pool for the 1st time today to get in my swim work out and on my 8th lap, they tell me that I have to get out because there's lightning. I was like "...... uh..... you know this is an indoor pool, right?...." They were like "Yeah, the lightning can travel in through the building." I really wanted to yell at somebody cause this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I've seriously NEVER heard of this before. I was completely boggled by this. How do they think lightning is going to get in the pool?? It would take like an act of God or something to get through all the iron, concrete, roof, glass, ect ect to strike the pool. And it's NOT going to travel through the effing building. It's completely ridiculous. I've swam at my other pool in bad weather and nobody gave a crap. Seriously, I am *amazed* and I think whoever came up with that rule doesn't understand effing science. Go read a book on freaking electricity. Ai! I really wanted to just yell at someone but they were all college kids working there and obviously they didn't make up the rule. So very frustrated!!!!!  Yell

The roof at the pool I go to is made out of metal whcih is a conductor. It is supported by "H" beams also made out of metal. Attached to the ceiling are lghts, the conduit that has the wires in them are also made out of metal and are attached to the metal roof supports. So genius do you really want to be in water which is also a conductor during an electrical storm?
seems to me that perhaps you owe those college kids a thatnks you and might want to pick up a book on "effing" science.
But what do I know I have only been teaching electircal theory and Architecture for 14 years with 2 Bachelors degrees, a Masters degree in Education and the equivalent of another in Engineering, but what the heck do I know about it?

Dude.  Think you could have put that a little nicer?  The guy was a little upset but you didn't need to attack him.  Just calmly explain the science behind it.  Sheesh.  Chill out.

2009-08-20 9:35 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch

I live in Colorado and we get a lot of thunderstorms every summer.  And every summer, there's 3 - 5 lead news stories about someone's house or business getting a hole blown through it from lightning.  So yeah, I can see the potential.

On the other side of the argument, one would think the pool building would be properly grounded to divert a strike like this...

Edited by StMaas 2009-08-20 9:35 PM
2009-08-20 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
When growing up, my mom would never let us take showers during a thunderstorm for the same reason.  Personally I think it's just a bad idea in general to stand/lay/swim in water when there's lightning in the area.  I'd hate to have the pool closed for weeks because some guy/girl was electrocuted in the pool.
2009-08-20 9:44 PM

Regular
New Jersey
When I was a kid, my mom would never let me take a bath during a thunderstorm.  I always thought it was silly, until I watched a Mythbusters episode about lightening.  I no longer want to be near any pipes, plugged-in electrical appliances/wiring or hard-wired telephones during a thunderstorm.   Here's a summary of the ep from Annotated Mythbusters: http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/03/mythbusters_son_of_a_gun_showe.html.

ETA: Zionvier, we must have been posting at the same time!

Edited by Tri365 2009-08-20 9:45 PM

2009-08-20 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2361518

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
crowny2 - 2009-08-20 7:30 PM

Dude.  Think you could have put that a little nicer?  The guy was a little upset but you didn't need to attack him.  Just calmly explain the science behind it.  Sheesh.  Chill out.

Well maybe the respondent was also upset--at the ignorance of the OP. Ignorance by itself is no problem, but the OP attacks the people who had his best interest in mind yet accuses them of being stupid. Why would it be okay for the OP to rant and not expect a rant back? He was asking for it.

Lightening kills. Don't get close to water, toilets, showers, sinks, open windows, electrical anything; even a corded land-line phone should be off limits. The fact that nothing has ever happened to the OP just means he's a lucky idiot.
2009-08-20 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2361518

User image

Veteran
crowny2 - 2009-08-20 9:30 PM

First...the guy that had to explain the "science" behind this obviously is just little little full of himself. If you are going to be mean, condescending, and demeaning on this Forum than don't post at all...as my mother told me many times "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all." People post all the time to "vent" here...I would be pissed if I was her as well, I also had no idea that swimming in an indoor pool during a thunderstorm may be unsafe. But so is showering in your house during one I guess and I do it...life comes with risks.

Second to the guy that responded to the "full of himself" dude...I'm pretty sure the poster is a female...so that would be a her. Just had to put that in there.
2009-08-20 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Has anyone ever actually been electrocuted by lightning in a pool?  I did a google search and couldnt come up with anything.  
Also I would agree with a previous post that the building would be grounded and that lightning (electricity) would take the path of least resistance and go straight to ground instead of traveling through piping (pool piping is often plastic) and water which is arelatively poor conductor compared to copper ground wires and ground plates.  
You would think some one teaching about electrical theory and archetecture would also know a little about building design as well.
I think that they are erring on the side of caution to avoid any possible liability. just my 2 cents 
2009-08-20 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2361556

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
jspelay - 2009-08-20 8:55 PM
Has anyone ever actually been electrocuted by lightning in a pool?  

I'm sure there has been some. I doubt if pools would have just started closing based on some effing science. I wonder if there have ever been any drownings in a pool? Maybe they should remove the water so that no one will drown.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » INDOOR pool closed due to thunderstorm - WTF?! Rss Feed  

of 3