Guatemala,
Guatetrifed
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 04m 35s
Overall Rank = 22/66
Age Group = 30-34 Male
Age Group Rank = 7/18
Pre-race routine:

Early morning. Up at 3:45. Drove to the pool in the dark, we were the first competitors there. Took the bike for a little spin in order to make sure everything was in order. Not exactly a warm-up. Went to T1 set up bike and got marked. Then we went to watch the start of the elite group, who was starting 30 min. before us. I love watching them swim.

Event warmup:

Next was time to jump in the small 25m. pool with my 5 other lane-mates. It was a bit crowded. We all splashed around gleefully as we warmed up. I realized that I would not be able to do any bi-lateral breathing during the swim as I kept drifting into the middle of the lane. Oh well, no big deal...there was a time when I couldn't even breathe on both sides, so I can do this.
Swim
  • 23m 43s
  • 1200 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start of the swim was pretty miserable (although I am sure it could have been much worse!) I could not get into any sort of rhythm because the person in front of me was going at that annoying speed where it was too fast to pass him comfortably with on-coming traffic, but slow enough that he surely has a hand print embeded in his calf! ( not sure if that is considered rude or if everyone know it just happens)

Once I passed him, and another guy at the same speed, I got into a groove for a bit. During the last 300 m. I passed the next guy, but it took a pretty quick sprint to pass him. I was huffing and puffing for the next few laps. I thought to myself "not very smart", but it turned out okay.

My time was good, but without the extra bodies, I surely could have done much better. Then again, maybe they slowed me down enough to not go TOO hard.

What would you do differently?:

Be more patient perhaps at the end of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition was fine. I was a bit dizzy from the last part of the swim, but it didn't slow me down too much.

nothing
Bike
  • 57m 24s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Hopped on the bike and started feeling the wind and immediately started looking for someone to draft with, but nobody in sight. Two guys came up behind me and I went with them for about 5 minutes, but their pace was a bit too strong for me so I let them go. Then another group came to save me. Thier pace was also just a bit beyond my comfort level. This time I decided to go for it. If I pay for it on the run, so be it. The difference between being on my own during the bike and being with a fast group was simply to great to pass it up.

Unfortunately I only took a couple of turns at the front of the pack, as the pace was hard as it was in the back of it. I also kept falling off the back without realizing it and then having to push extra hard to get back into it. I finally started focusing a bit more so that would not happen again...and it didn't. Towards the end the group made a big push to catch another group ahead and we got them! It felt so good, but I was done...not too much left on that bike. Thankfully, it was just before T2.

Not sure.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

As always, the guy putting on the socks and tying his shoes gets passed by many during T2 (that was me)

nothing.
Run
  • 41m 5s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Definitely jell-o legs in the start. I really felt the hard bike effort at first and I almost began to cry (in a manly, triathlete way). I just slowed down and told myself to stay slow until I felt better. Worked well, after not too long, I started feeling a bit more comfortable. My plan was to run the first two miles smooth and easy, the third a bit harder and the last 1 and 1/2 pick up the pace and start passing people. Splits were: 9:10, 8:23, 8:25, 8:00, 7:07. Felt good and strong for most of the run. I think I paced myself very well. I always wonder if I could have pushed a little harder the whoe run....

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

walking, stretching, drinking water and gatorade, cheering on my wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure. I was happy with the race. Maybe the crowded swim.

Event comments:

I am looking forward to doing a race with a distance that I have raced at before. It has been tough always not knowing how much to conserve and how much to let go. Today, I surprised myself with my strong run after a hard bike effort, maybe I could have run harder with a lesser bike effort...who knows. That's the beauty of being a newbie, every experience is full of learning.

The race was fun!

Last updated: 2005-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:43 | 1200 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/66
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts and a sleeveless Underarmour top
Course: 24 laps of a 25 metre pool. NOT the most fun I have had in the water!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:24 | 20 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: 4 laps on closed roads. Flat with a small incline.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:05 | 05 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Course: 5x1 mile loops. flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-15 5:04 PM

User image

Subject: Triatlon Mayor #4 - Guatemala

2005-05-15 6:55 PM
in reply to: #157840

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Triatlon Mayor #4 - Guatemala
Ivan - Congrats!!!

You really are getting the handle of this tri thing. I am really impressed with the negative splits in your run and a 7:07 final mile. You rock!

Keep it up.

tony
2005-05-16 8:16 AM
in reply to: #157840

User image

Thanks, Tony.

Yeah, I really surprised myself on the run.  The pace felt good and I stuck to the plan.  Not sure if the same plan will work for Olympic distance or the half IM...  At least I am getting a lot of experience racing.

2005-05-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: #158091

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Negative splits on the run... that was great Ivan. The swim was great regardless of the slow bodies in front of you. You can tell a lot about your swimming split when you are the paser and not the pasee...   I see that the last week sickness did not put a dent on your performance.. Great race report... and great race..
Remember... drafting will not be legal in Vineman...

cheers

Hey.... Vineman will be sweeet....
How did Kate do?

cheers

Edited by velasqu7 2005-05-16 9:32 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triatlon Mayor #4 - Guatemala Rss Feed