General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ways to improve on swim from 1st tri to 2nd Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-24 2:43 PM

User image

Cross Lanes, WV
Subject: Ways to improve on swim from 1st tri to 2nd
I need some advice - my 1st tri was awesome, but i did horrible on the swim, never could catch my breath and basically backstroked and treaded water for 1/2 of the 1/2 mile swim.  Nerves and anxiety, (and having to wear earplugs because of an ear infection the night before) were the culprits.  Of course, i read all about it beforehand, but still could not overcome it.  Now i have a 3/4 mile tri swim this weekend.  I have been practicing more OWS, but does anyone have anything else?  I know to take it wide, start in the back, all the obvious - i just don't want to get there and "not be able to swim" again. 

It doesn't feel like i really completed the tri because i never got going physically because of the anxiety. 

Would a wetsuit help, and is it too late to get one and experiment with 5 days to go?

2009-08-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2367322

Subject: RE: Ways to improve on swim from 1st tri to 2nd
If at all possible get a warmup swim in just before the start of the race. I know it helps me get rid of most of my pre-race jitters. It seems to help just getting your face in the water and to become comfortable swimming a little bit without the rush of the race start.

When I do start a race I keep repeating "smooth and steady" and concentrate getting my stroke and body position right and getting into a steady rythm of breathing. Once I get past that initial 100 yards, it becomes easier and from then on I just focus on keeping my form and sighting to make sure I stay on course.

If the race is wetsuit legal it might help, but only if you practice in it a few times. The first time some people feel like the suit is restricting their breathing and panic a little. Also your body position in the water is slightly different with the bouyancy of the suit and it takes a little getting used to that as well.

The main thing it to try and stay relaxed when you get started in the water. You know you can do the distance. Good Luck!!

Don't ever give up.
2009-08-24 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
I would try the wetsuit, for me it definitely eases the nerves knowing that no matter how hard I try, I can't drown while wearing one. Be sure to get/rent a good one though. I tried using a regular surfing/diving one during a race and all it did was fill with water and slow me down (lots of drag).

Along the mental aspects of the swim, I tend to listen to music before the race, and the last song I have playing before the swim starts is one that will easily get stuck in my head. If it works, I'll have a good tune playing in my mind throughout the race. It helps me relax and focus more on the music rather than worrying about what might happen to blow my performance.

Anxiety goes away in time, you just need to find your groove and your own way to mentally prepare for the event. You'll get it
2009-08-24 7:27 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
I'm pretty new too, and the swim is definetly the toughest part for me.  There's just not alot of ways to practice jumping in the water with 50-100 people.  Its just hard to get comfortable with so much going on around you.

Best advice I got was that swimming in a tri is 90% technique and 10% effort.  Job 1 when you get in the water is to get comfortable with your stroke and breathing.  If you get tired, slow down and get comfortable with your stroke and breathing; start feeling nervous anxious worried ect.  slow down and get comfortable with your stroke and breathing...
2009-08-25 7:27 AM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
X2 on using a wetsuit if you can practice before the race. The buoyancy means you will be more relaxed. Also try to get into the water as early as you can ahead of your wave start and swim about just getting a feel for the water temp and have a look down the course so it is familier. I like to swim the first 50m and then back as part of my warm up to get my sighting target sorted.
Then when the race starts I am at the back on the outside of the first turn.
This is the important bit for me - Dont get caught up in the racing starts where everybody goes crazy and all end up bunched together fighting for a 12 inch advantage into the first buoy. When the gun goes stay still until everyone is out of reach so you dont get kicked and then swim out to the side of the crowd but breathe to the side everyone is swimming and use them as a guage of direction. You will hardly need to sight at all up to the first buoy as everyone else will be doing it anyway and they wont all be going the wrong way.
This allows you to focus on your long easy strokes and you will have overtaken half the field by the first turn. Take this nice and wide to avoid collisions, sight your next buoy and if the crowd has thinned draft off someones hip so you can still see ahead and pick the next person to swim to for the next bit of drafting. Before you know it you will be done and into T1.

Good luck
2009-08-25 5:09 PM

User image

Modesto, California
  • look over course and have strategy(where to start,currents,lanmarks,pacing,etc)
  • warmup
  • draft
  • practice sighting
  • swim fast through turns
  • dont stop

2009-08-25 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
In addition to what's been said...

You said you start at the back - that's good.  so there is no reason to get in a hurry.  You did not say if it's a deep water or wade start.  If you can touch the bottom, take a few strokes, stand up and get your bearings and go again,  you'll be more relaxed.    Not getting in a hurry to start also is calming.

That should help if you cannot get in the water before the start.   For me there is just something about getting your face and head wet for the first time in the morning.
2009-08-26 3:35 AM

Hey Kemerekb,

A quick tip from me:

Thinking about all the things you can't control like the water temperature, splashing and other swimmers will make you really anxious. Instead become a 'selfish swimmer' and just focus on yourself, your body, your breathing and your stroke. This goes a long way towards overcoming anxiety.

See our article here, point 2: http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon.html/>
Hope that helps! Adam

Edited by Adam Young 2009-08-26 3:37 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ways to improve on swim from 1st tri to 2nd Rss Feed