General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 34s
Overall Rank = 67/196
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am and had a light dish of pasta and coffee.
Event warmup:

I got to the race site a little too late for a warm-up. I usually like to spend about 10 minutes swimming to loosen everything up, but that didn't happen.
Swim
  • 24m 21s
  • 1091 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I finally experienced a true freak out (more on that later). I made many many mistakes on this swim. It was only my 2nd OWS, and after the Wendy's tri, I felt like I had it licked. First off, it was a run in start. I positioned myself at the very front of the group (bad move). I'm not really sure why I did this. Once we were off and running, and as soon as I went horizontal and began swimming, I had no less that 5 or 6 people in a row swimming over top of me. I took a couple of kicks too. Now, this was totally my fault for my position choice. About 1/2 way through, I began to get the panic feeling. It kept building and building until I simply couldn't swim anymore. I had to come up and doggie paddle for about 3 minutes. At one point, I seriously considered waving over one of the chicks on the kayak. Everytime I felt like I had regained my composure, it hit me again as I would put my face back in the water. After about 4 minutes or so, I was able to get back in the game and finished the swim. My wetsuit also seemed to play a role in this too. I could feel the tightness around my neck and it spooked me even more. Wow, what a mess that was!!!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Have a solid game plan like I did during Wendy's. Place myself in the rear of my AG and swim my race at my pace, without worrying about how fast the guy/gal next to me is swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

My wetsuit is very hard to get off. I can get the top part off while running to transition, but getting my legs out is a different story. This contributed to a lenghthy stay in T1

Train more on removing the wetsuit, or not wear it when not real necessary
Bike
  • 44m 30s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a new PR for me as far as pace goes. I beat my Wendys pace by .2. I'll take any improvement I can get. I needed that after my horrible swim. The bike made me feel like I was back in it.

Just continue to ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I had a little trouble racking my bike. The guy next to me came in first and decided to use my space, so I had to take the time to gently move his bike over to make room for mine. No biggie though. My shoes went on fast and I was off and running.

Not much really
Run
  • 24m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran faster than I thought I would. The cool temps made it easy. I feel I could have pushed myself a lot harder on the run and got a better time.

Run more
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The mental aspect of the swim kind of spoiled my whole race.

Event comments:

HFP always does a great job in my opinion. Although I had a decent bike and run, the swim killed it for me. But, i'm gonna get right back in next week at the Delaware Lake tri. That's the only way to do it. I know what I need to work on and next week will be a better race.

Last updated: 2009-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:21 | 1091 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 83/196
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blueseventy (full)
Course: Rectangular swim along the beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:30 | 14 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Overall: 79/196
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was just as described on HFP's web site. I actually liked it. I had a little trouble with the turn off for the sprint and missed my first turn and had to turn around and go back, which probably only cost me less than a minute.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:42 | 03.1 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 72/196
Performance: Good
Course: The run was on the park's paved running trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance

2009-08-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2368221

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance
Way to hang in there on the swim after freaking out. (Been there, done that.) It would have been easy to bag it, but you didn't.

Your T2 was great. Your T1 was pretty good considering you had trouble with the wetsuit.

Good job on the run also. IMO, anything with a 7 in front is a nice pace.

JC

2009-08-25 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2368221

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance
Way to stay with it! Sounds like you have a great attitude for your next race!
I've heard spraying Pam on the legs of the wetsuit helps, although I've always had good luck with just stepping repeatedly with alternating legs and trying to step on the part I'm already out of.
Nice race! You're a fast runner.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance Rss Feed